New to this forum? Not sure how to do things? Check out the help

HELP ME-I'M A NEWBIE

• 16 Replies

Elixer

HELP ME-I'M A NEWBIE
« on: September 29, 2016, 06:28 »
I am about to start saving towards my very first allotment and I have my eyes on one being sold for around £10,000. I plan to build a garden shed so I may keep my tools on the allotment.

1. I do not understand what legal permissions I have on an allotment once I own it. May I build my garden shed and if I may, what kind of size of a shed? What kind of dimensions may I be able to use up on the allotment after I buy it?

2. I understand that my allotment will also be right next door to other peoples allotments and that means there may be some courtesy rules. What kinds of rules will they be? Am I expected to arrive and leave at particular times? Like a 9-5 schedule? Must I vacate the allotment when it gets dark?

Please hold my hand and guide me through this puzzle.  :ohmy:

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
Re: HELP ME-I'M A NEWBIE
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2016, 09:44 »
You obviously don't know a great deal about allotments.  I've never heard of anyone buying an allotment,  we generally rent them at a peppercorn rate.

Let us know your location and we will be able to give you much more relivant advice.

Elixer

« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2016, 09:57 »
You obviously don't know a great deal about allotments.  I've never heard of anyone buying an allotment,  we generally rent them at a peppercorn rate.

Let us know your location and we will be able to give you much more relivant advice.

Hello Sally :) I know nothing about allotments. I love gardening and I want to purchase one. I have come across the following link that leads me to believe that I may purchase an allotment for £10.000 My post code is nw10;

This is the mentioned link
Link removed by administration

Elixer

« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2016, 09:58 »

Hello Sally :) I know nothing about allotments. I love gardening and I want to purchase one. I have come across the following link that leads me to believe that I may purchase an allotment for £10.000 My post code is nw10;

This is the mentioned link
Link removed by administration

Let me take this opportunity to say thank you for helping me.  :D

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2016, 10:16 »
Those are not allotments.  For £10,000 you could rent an allotment from your local council for about 400 years.

Contact your local council and ask how long their waiting list is.

Elixer

« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2016, 10:55 »
Those are not allotments.  For £10,000 you could rent an allotment from your local council for about 400 years.

I can't tell you how grateful I am :) I did read something about waiting lists that's why I did a search :)

(400 years? I take it this may be because a successful allotment could be passed down in a will)

What are these in this link? Worth £10,000?

Elixer

« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2016, 10:57 »

I can't tell you how grateful I am :) I did read something about waiting lists that's why I did a search :)

(400 years? I take it this may be because a successful allotment could be passed down in a will)

What are these in this link? Worth £10,000?

I will contact my council.

Fairy Plotmother

« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2016, 11:38 »
You have been saved in the nick of time by Auntie! I haven't looked at the link but it certainly doesn't sound like allotments to me. I pay less than £200 a year for 1 and a 1/2 plots. So, as Auntie says contact your council....... And don't BUY any land!

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2016, 11:41 »
You have been saved in the nick of time by Auntie! I haven't looked at the link but it certainly doesn't sound like allotments to me. I pay less than £200 a year for 1 and a 1/2 plots. So, as Auntie says contact your council....... And don't BUY any land!

Its a link to a site selling freehold land parcels. 

Very different to allotments, which are rented from the council year by year.

lettice

« Reply #9 on: September 29, 2016, 11:42 »
I know someone whose extended family have a few allotment in your area.
Not sure how close you are, but Brent council has two allotment sites that has plots available now;

Cecil Avenue, Wembley, HA9 7DY
Woodfield Avenue, North Wembley, HA0 3TP
Gibbons Road, Neasden, NW10 9BR
Lyon Park Avenue, Wembley, HA0 4DZ

Allotment rent is £41.75 for Brent residents and £46.75 for non-Brent residents for 62m2 (2.5 poles) per year.
You can get 50 per cent off the annual rent of a plot of up to 5 poles, if you are a Brent Resident and:
over 60
receive unemployment benefits
receive disability benefits.

More info and all about the allotments here;
https://www.brent.gov.uk/services-for-residents/sport-leisure-and-parks/allotments/about-our-allotments/

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #10 on: September 29, 2016, 11:45 »
Very useful advice, Lettice

Fairy Plotmother

« Reply #11 on: September 29, 2016, 11:46 »
I know someone whose extended family have a few allotment in your area.
Not sure how close you are, but Brent council has two allotment sites that has plots available now;

Cecil Avenue, Wembley, HA9 7DY
Woodfield Avenue, North Wembley, HA0 3TP
Gibbons Road, Neasden, NW10 9BR
Lyon Park Avenue, Wembley, HA0 4DZ

Allotment rent is £41.75 for Brent residents and £46.75 for non-Brent residents for 62m2 (2.5 poles) per year.
You can get 50 per cent off the annual rent of a plot of up to 5 poles, if you are a Brent Resident and:
over 60
receive unemployment benefits
receive disability benefits.

More info and all about the allotments here;
https://www.brent.gov.uk/services-for-residents/sport-leisure-and-parks/allotments/about-our-allotments/
I have also done this search and there are many sites in Brent (not far from me) many with no waiting lists. Off you go and get one. Let us know how you get on.

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #12 on: September 29, 2016, 11:50 »
Well done everyone !

Job done  :D

Elixer

« Reply #13 on: September 29, 2016, 12:28 »

Thank you Fairy :) I will not buy anything now.

Elixer

« Reply #14 on: September 29, 2016, 12:30 »

Its a link to a site selling freehold land parcels. 

Very different to allotments, which are rented from the council year by year.

I asked GOOGLE to do one thing lol.

xx
Newbie Here

Started by Alistair1392 on Welcome to the Forums

8 Replies
Last post June 03, 2015, 17:55
by Yorkie
xx

Started by geo46 on Welcome to the Forums

6 Replies
Last post December 12, 2016, 13:23
by adal
xx
Another old newbie

Started by Vic Steward on Welcome to the Forums

3 Replies
Last post February 22, 2021, 10:26
by AndyRVTR
xx
New Newbie

Started by BlueThumb on Welcome to the Forums

11 Replies
Last post July 12, 2020, 12:24
by mrs bouquet

Page created in 0.134 seconds with 36 queries.