help Rats in the compost

• 8 Replies

loobs61

help Rats in the compost
« on: March 01, 2012, 18:00 »
 :ohmy: Can someone please advise if my compost is still safe to use ?
Have 3 Darlek composts and yesterday found evidence of Rats. Holes dug into the compost in all 3 bins. Can I still use it on the veg beds, theres loads there and its good stuff rotted down really well. If I have to throw it away it will be a shame , but dont want to poison the family. would like some advise if poss please thnx   

savbo

Re: help Rats in the compost
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2012, 18:10 »
lots of previous threads on this topic, worth searching for specific advice/opinions, but I don't let it bother me - this time of year they're prospecting new sites, disturb the compost and they'll move on.

Bit of rat wee never hurt anyone....oh sorry, yes it did  ??? but that's if it gets in a cut....

sav

jrko

« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2012, 18:39 »
On the wee subject......

A bottle wee in my compost and on fenceposts etc appears to have kept my plot devoid of ratty & local cats where others have issues.  Nowt better than fresh.  Easier for a chap obviously!

I know it works for cats but who knows wee may be the future of rat prevention
Hello.  My name is James, the builder of Evil Shed mkII and The Greenhouse of Doom.  Please enjoy the madness of my Plot Diary here:
http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=107298.0

strangerachael

• Weedybeanz
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2012, 11:16 »
Once you have emptied your daleks, and before you fill them up again, put a sheet of welded mesh underneath them (the one I use the holes are about 1cm), that should stop the rats getting in again in the future.
Rachael

loobs61

« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2012, 18:09 »
Thanks for all the help on rat prevention. Still not sure about using the compost on the veg patch tho ? noticed that someone on the "Henhouse" forum has the same rat problem but again no answers as yet about using the compost, any thoughts on this  anyone ?

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2012, 18:38 »
There will be a risk that the compost is contaminated with nasties from the rats.  I have used compost after a rat had been in my bin, but others will not have done.

Nobody can give you any guarantees and therefore it will have to be your judgement call I'm afraid.
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

julietmaria

• http://www.thewashablenappy.co.uk
« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2012, 00:36 »
Hi, I asked the same questions and had some reassuring answers on using the compost - not sure if this link will work to my previous post, hope so.  http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=88182.msg977763#msg977763
have a look at what people said and read the links that they put on.   I think I will use the compost now. 
A flower cannot blossom without sunshine nor a garden without love

kippers garden

• http://notjustgreenfingers.wordpress.com/
« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2012, 09:02 »
I take the lids off my darlek compost bins in winter as it seems to stop the rats going in as it becomes cold and wet (though the contents take longer to break down )

LilacSandy

« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2012, 09:23 »
Rats, Mice, Snakes, Foxes, Muntjacks etc are wild animals that live on our land all the time, it is just that you cannot see them.  They do what they have to do anywhere, and everywhere  on our plots and it is quite natural. 

Use your compost as normal but use safe and sensible precautions, always use gloves when handling compost, even if you have not seen evidence of rodents, wash your hands and wash your veg.  There are always dangers working with soil but I recon I am more likely to get run over by a bus.

xx
Rats in the compost

Started by muckyboots on Grow Your Own

40 Replies
Last post February 06, 2010, 16:07
by compostqueen
xx
Rats and compost

Started by Scribbler on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post February 16, 2008, 16:38
by Scribbler
xx
rats in the compost heap

Started by Carollan on Grow Your Own

17 Replies
Last post February 13, 2011, 19:01
by 8doubles
xx
Rats and compost bins

Started by stentman on Grow Your Own

15 Replies
Last post April 07, 2011, 08:28
by dig4victory

Page created in 0.417 seconds with 37 queries.