chillies

• 9 Replies

BobandJack

• Experienced Member
chillies
« on: July 21, 2009, 10:34 »
I've grown 3 varieties of chilli, Apache, Tabasco & Jalapeno, all coming along nicely with the Apache fruiting away merrily BUT what I'd really like is a sort of selection box of chilli seeds rather than several plants of the same sort.  Does such a thing exist or do I need to buy lots of individual packets?

zazen999

Re: chillies
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2009, 10:59 »
Why don't you isolate a few of yours, and grow for the seeds and swap with others?

You can buy Hot Chilli Shake, I believe, which is a mix - and I got a bag of Hot Mix chilli from the Start back in April. Most of my chillis [I'm growing about 20 odd types] came from seed swapping though.

KarooPaul

« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2009, 12:20 »
The seed swap is a good idea. I think The Real Seed Catalogue does a selection. I've grown their Pretty in Purple and Locoto this year and the purple jobbies are lovely and cropping right now. The hairy leaved Locoto has grown well but hasn't even flowered yet so not sure if they're going to be productive.

zazen999

« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2009, 12:43 »
I got my first rocoto last year just as Christmas came. It looked very decorative indoors as the peppers looked like baubles. They take a while to get going.

LivvyW

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2009, 13:08 »
Swapping is a much better idea than mixed packets.  I didn't manage to get my chosen chilli's to germinate and i ended up sowing the hot chilli shake.

I have about 12 plants flowering and fruiting away, but i have no idea what each of them are, or how hot they might be, or even what colour they are intended to be. No doubt, the one i end up liking will be a lone soldier, and the other 11 will be either too hot or too mild!

Last year i stupidly bought Tristar courgettes, a mix of yellow, dark green and pale green. But how many do you sow to get one of each? Then once you've got them to fruiting stage to see what colour they'll be, it's so hard to cull.  I'm still using up the seeds and have 6 fruiting plants, no-one wants to take them off my hands.

Anyone know the names of the chillis in hot chilli shake? It doesn't say on the packet i have.

Swapping and sharing is the way forward in my opinion.
Liv.

BobandJack

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2009, 18:20 »
Yeah that sounds like a good idea  :)

Chiswickian

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2009, 18:59 »
cookooboxchillies.com sell mixed packets
If you can't be an excellent example be a terrible warning...

Lardman

« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2009, 19:42 »
Does such a thing exist or do I need to buy lots of individual packets?

I've got lots that I've collected over the years and that have been sent to me by members on another forum.  If you want to pm me I'll sort you out a "selection box" ... most are on the hotter side though.

BobandJack

• Experienced Member
« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2009, 09:12 »
Hvae pm'd you Lardman  :)

siandc

« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2009, 09:35 »
I buy my chilli seeds from here... http://www.chileseeds.co.uk/hot_chili_pepper_seeds_5.htm
They sell small numbers in some of the packs, and do mixtures of seeds, there are usually a few I think because germination can be difficult!

xx
Chillies

Started by lacewing on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post March 27, 2010, 14:32
by penance
xx
Chillies

Started by Boothy on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post July 20, 2007, 23:12
by Biscombe
xx
Chillies

Started by clarebear on Grow Your Own

47 Replies
Last post January 13, 2008, 18:25
by mashauk
xx
chillies?

Started by adri on Grow Your Own

10 Replies
Last post January 25, 2010, 18:24
by galen

Page created in 0.436 seconds with 36 queries.