organic or not?

• 13 Replies

mrpotatohead

organic or not?
« on: April 13, 2013, 17:34 »
I never use pesticides or herbicides on my fruit and veg. Pardon my ignorance-but are things like 'miracle gro' ok to use if you grow organically?

snowdrops

Re: organic or not?
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2013, 17:37 »
No I don't think so,it should say on the packet if you read it carefully,have a look at the garden organic website that will give further details,I stand to be corrected & usually am :lol:
A woman's place is in her garden.

See my diary pages here
and add a comment here

Christine

« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2013, 17:42 »
I think that this information from the depth of this site will tell you which fertilisers are organic. Just be careful if you buy poultry manure pellets that you get organic ones not any old ones.  :D

davejg

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2013, 18:15 »
I thought all chicken manure pellets were organic, tell us more.

RJR_38

• www.foodinmytum.com
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2013, 18:22 »
So did I... Do some have added chemicals then? Grrr

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2013, 18:29 »
not as afar as I know, but some come from higher welfare poultry farms and the pellets maybe approved by the Soil Association

moose

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2013, 11:23 »
Chickens reared on non organic farms/units may be given antibiotics that are not acceptable to the organic movement- there may be residues in the poo. I guess that if they are fed with GM modified feeds that would also rule out organic certification.

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2013, 12:00 »
"Organic" is the most widely misused word I can think of, and I think it's often done deliberately to suggest that the product is more PC, environmentally sound, natural etc, than it actually is.

Dried chicken poo is chemically organic in that it contains carbon, but I haven't yet come across any brand which claims to meet the full criteria of bodies such as the Soil Association (some claim to be derived from farms meeting high standards of animal husbandry, but I'm not at all sure what that means in practice - presumably not free-range or they'd say so.)

Growmore and products like Miracle Grow are chemically inorganic and manufactured from mostly non-renewable sources, although of course that does mean that there are no animal welfare issues involved in their production.

I'd use neither if I could get away with it, because this sort of thinking does my head in, but I've more or less proved that I can't grow good crops in my sandy soil without additional fertilisers, so I use both types, but as economically as I can. 
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2013, 12:40 »
Rooster seems to be the only brand approved by the Soil Association, and no longer seems to be readily available
http://www.rooster.uk.com/

6x is
certified by Organic Farmers & Growers for use in organic systems.
http://www.6-x.co.uk/directions.htm

The thing is how far do you take it, cos even our homemade compost may fail their tests, unless all the fruit and veg we buy to supplement our own is organic as well  :dry:

Totty

« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2013, 13:01 »
probably one of the most argued issues in gardening, and everyone has different views on it.
Do you class a product that has been manufactured from organic material (plant matter, animal byproducts such as blood fish and bone) that has not necessarily been grown organically, then packaged into a plastic container, and then transported to a retail outlet, as organic as getting a load of manure from the local farm delivered. I use both organic and non organic. Non organic on weeds and flowers, organic for food crops.

Totty

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: April 14, 2013, 13:16 »
Rooster seems to be the only brand approved by the Soil Association, and no longer seems to be readily available
http://www.rooster.uk.com/

6x is
certified by Organic Farmers & Growers for use in organic systems.
http://www.6-x.co.uk/directions.htm

Seems to be more than one dried chicken poo mixture approved by the SA, although I couldn't say how easy it is for the amateur to get hold of any of them (and some may still question what "from acceptable sources" means.)  :unsure:

Can't see 6X on the SA's list - must work to different criteria!  ::)

http://www.soilassociation.org/LinkClick.aspx?fileticket=CI7TIVwyZUA%3D&tabid=143

I don't worry about it much these days - I recycle as much, and waste as little, as possible, keep the use of any chemicals to a minimum, and enjoy the produce knowing that it's much better tasting and freer from chemicals than regular supermarket produce.  :)

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: April 14, 2013, 13:29 »
Seems to be more than one dried chicken poo mixture approved by the SA
which others did you find Jay?

Can't see 6X on the SA's list
They are certified by
Organic Farmers & Growers (OF&G) is a leading UK organic control body
http://www.organicfarmers.org.uk/

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: April 14, 2013, 14:17 »
Seems to be more than one dried chicken poo mixture approved by the SA
which others did you find Jay?

Activit and 2 versions from Pennine.

fatcat1955

« Reply #13 on: April 14, 2013, 14:36 »
I try not to use weedkiller but do due to having limited time have used it sparingly. I use growmore and chicken pellet's but i never spray anything on my crop's apart from seaweed extract diluted to twice the recomended dose. I know what my crop's have been grown in and what they have been fed. I believe that is important to me.

xx
Organic or not organic the truth at last.

Started by mkhenry on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post February 28, 2008, 21:29
by Trillium
xx
Organic vs Non-Organic growing

Started by Jaybees on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post February 26, 2020, 11:28
by Jaybees
xx
ORGANIC!!

Started by steve chip on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post January 21, 2021, 18:30
by Ema
xx
IS OURS ORGANIC OR NOT?

Started by denbo73 on Grow Your Own

45 Replies
Last post January 22, 2007, 23:09
by muntjac

Page created in 0.45 seconds with 41 queries.