Quince paste

• 11 Replies

tosca100

• New start, new life in BG
Quince paste
« on: September 24, 2013, 08:44 »
Having made a batch of jelly I am now having a go at paste. I have never had paste so no idea how 'dry' it should be, can you dry it in the dehydrator? And also, if anyone makes it on here, how do you store it? Some say fridge, some say tin. How do you wrap? Does it freeze? :unsure:

So many questions..... :ohmy:

surbie100

• Winner Prettiest Pumpkin - 2014
Re: Quince paste
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2013, 10:02 »
I'm guessing you take this recipe from part-way through Step 2? or something similar?
http://www.simplyrecipes.com/recipes/membrillo_quince_paste/

Most of the recipes add lemon, some add pepper, some add vanilla (bleurgh) and all say it keeps for a year wrapped in the fridge.

tosca100

« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2013, 10:43 »
I'm guessing you take this recipe from part-way through Step 2? or something similar?
http://www.simplyrecipes.com/recipes/membrillo_quince_paste/

Most of the recipes add lemon, some add pepper, some add vanilla (bleurgh) and all say it keeps for a year wrapped in the fridge.

I did look at that, but have decided against any additives in this instance and going for quince and sugar.If I think it will benefit from lemon or anything I will add it next time. Just not sure if I should wrap it tight or in parchment, in airtight boxes or allow air circulation. Not sure I want to use the cling film here as I can't read the label. The stuff I brought with me will not stand a year of use, or even a month, before breaking up.

How I wish I could get decent cheese. Manchego, recommended as traditional, is a big favourite of mine but I have trouble getting cheddar never mind anything else. Most of the cheese here is fresh (like mild feta) of rubbery like processed. I am trying to make my own but having similar problems, plenty of recipes and methods but when it comes to keeping and maturing, there is little information for the home trier! ::)

surbie100

« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2013, 11:44 »
I met an Iraqi refugee recently who has bought a farm in Bulgaria and started making cheese, but it's fresh cheese too, rather than anything aged.

Have you come across the CurdNerd site?

http://curd-nerd.com/aging-homemade-cheese/

I can't try it till I have a proper house, not a flat.  :(

tosca100

« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2013, 12:20 »
I met an Iraqi refugee recently who has bought a farm in Bulgaria and started making cheese, but it's fresh cheese too, rather than anything aged.

Have you come across the CurdNerd site?

http://curd-nerd.com/aging-homemade-cheese/

I can't try it till I have a proper house, not a flat.  :(

Thanks, I'll have a nosey at that. I don't really want to age any myself, it would be too expensive to set up. but I have found the sirene (Bulgarian) cheese I am making has no bite, though to be fair I have had totally tasteless sirene from my neighbour who has been making it 60 years. But some of the stuff you buy is far too sharp for me, and I can't read the labels to find out the difference between types. I will persevere and I will work it out, I am determined and get cheap milk!

Meanwhile the quince mush is nearly ready.

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2013, 16:51 »
The membrillo I bought in Spain lasted for ages wrapped tightly in foil in the fridge.

I have been looking at how to make this as my friend has promised me quinces this year, and it seems that you dry it in the oven at the end of the process.

Do let me know how you get on please, tosca.
Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

tosca100

« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2013, 17:09 »
Progress so far, I have one slab and a load of individual pats in silicone cases. They are holding their shape well, but I can't use the oven tomorrow so I am going to put some of them in now and some in the dehydrator to see what happens.

A pic, you may ignore the Portuguese style custard tarts...I had eggs to use. :lol: Also 2lb 4oz walnuts from our tree.

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2013, 17:40 »
That's a great photo, tosca  :D

Good idea setting it as individual portions ... wouldn't have thought of that.

The custard tarts look just like the ones we had in Portugal too  :D :D

And lucky you with those walnuts. What are they destined for?

surbie100

« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2013, 17:42 »
Please can you send some of those custard tarts over? They look yummy.

The membrillo looks good - and I like the individual size portions too.

snowdrops

« Reply #9 on: September 24, 2013, 17:52 »
I bagsy the walnuts,my favourite  :lol:
A woman's place is in her garden.

See my diary pages here
and add a comment here

tosca100

« Reply #10 on: September 24, 2013, 18:26 »
I have to admit the custard tarts are really yummy, takes us back to our rural holiday in Northern Portugal. Mmmmm....

The walnuts will be frozen according to condition, some for cooking, some for eating. As they are organic there tends to be a lot with little residents in, so we shell them all rather than trying to keep them whole, and the ones with wrigglers go to wildlife. Now we have about five pounds in the freezer, and some in the cupboard, we might keep some in shells. I am a veggie so they are free protein. They are amazing straight off the tree. Today we had walnut bread with cauli cheese. That was yum too. All the cooking I have done here I should be putting on weight, but we are both losing it as everything is freshly cooked with no processed foods, including bread. With all the cheap raw milk, eggs from our chooks and garden produce, the living is pretty cheap, and I can try all those things I have always wanted to.

I am going to try freezing a couple of the membrillo as my fridge is always packed with milk, eggs, home made cheese and yoghurt so there is always a chance of flavour transfer if anything is left in there too long. I will see how it dries and may store some in a plastic box. Then see how it all does.

Sparkyrog

« Reply #11 on: September 25, 2013, 00:00 »
It is a memory but only a Vague one that Butter cheese and cream are better made from the milk of more than one cow "going back to college days" ! once the day's have got cooler Tosca I am sure you will be able to make your own cream  :)
I cook therefore I grow

xx
chilli paste

Started by aelf on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

4 Replies
Last post August 10, 2009, 17:12
by aelf
xx
Curry paste

Started by Elaine G on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

8 Replies
Last post December 14, 2011, 07:25
by sunshineband
xx
Harissa Paste Recipe

Started by mumofstig on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

0 Replies
Last post November 16, 2014, 22:34
by mumofstig
xx
Quince

Started by Chazs on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

0 Replies
Last post September 30, 2010, 14:38
by Chazs

Page created in 0.443 seconds with 38 queries.