pickling beetroot

• 6 Replies

ranat22

pickling beetroot
« on: July 27, 2011, 13:10 »
just pulled a load of beetroot,noticed that the jar of sarsons pickling vinegar was opened of last year............is it still usable??

cheers...and sorry if it's in the wrong section  :)

Johanna

Re: pickling beetroot
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2011, 14:12 »
Hi Ranat,

The Vinegar Institute (yeah, I know there is such thing!) state this on their FAQ page:

How Long Does Vinegar Last?

The Vinegar Institute conducted studies to find out and confirmed that vinegar’s shelf life is almost indefinite. Because of its acid nature, vinegar is self-preserving and does not need refrigeration. White distilled vinegar will remain virtually unchanged over an extended period of time. And, while some changes can be observed in other types of vinegars, such as color changes or the development of a haze or sediment, this is only an aesthetic change. The product can still be used and enjoyed with confidence.

So I'd say that yeah, your vinegar is still useable!

Johanna

ranat22

« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2011, 15:08 »
thanx for that  :)

PeterP

« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2011, 20:02 »
I just grow the beetroot for the Boss, pickling it is her job.
I know that she does her own spiced vinegar, and if there is too much, just saves it for the year after. I do the pickled onions and do the same. We even reuse the vinegar when jars are finished to put on fish 'n chips etc.
Pete

stentman

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2011, 21:10 »
Hi Ranat,

The Vinegar Institute (yeah, I know there is such thing!) state this on their FAQ page:

How Long Does Vinegar Last? The Vinegar Institute conducted studies to find out and confirmed that vinegar’s shelf life is almost indefinite. Because of its acid nature, vinegar is self-preserving and does not need refrigeration. White distilled vinegar will remain virtually unchanged over an extended period of time. And, while some changes can be observed in other types of vinegars, such as color changes or the development of a haze or sediment, this is only an aesthetic change. The product can still be used and enjoyed with confidence.

So I'd say that yeah, your vinegar is still useable!

Johanna

I too thought vinegar was not lifed. Yet last weekend when I purchased a 5ltr jar of pickling vinegar it had a small sticker on the cap stating best before 21-09-11. I asked the shop lady why and she explained they came from the supplier without a sell by date printed on the manufacturers label so the shop added a sticker because of regulations. What regulations she wasn't totally sure but felt it probably was an "EU Thing".
Stents keeping things open 24/7

If one way be better than another, that you can be sure is natures way. Aristotle 384BC - 322BC

A. Fallowfield

« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2011, 22:58 »
Pickled beetroot? :D

aqua

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2011, 00:18 »
oooo nice white ones - i hope mine come up that good

xx
pickling Beetroot

Started by LILLILEAF on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

3 Replies
Last post July 23, 2016, 07:18
by LILLILEAF
xx
pickling beetroot

Started by Madame Cholet on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

30 Replies
Last post August 22, 2010, 20:46
by RuthShaw
xx
Pickling Beetroot

Started by gardenersally on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

1 Replies
Last post June 20, 2020, 12:20
by Yorkie
xx
Pickling beetroot

Started by RuthShaw on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

3 Replies
Last post August 18, 2010, 11:27
by Livinhope

Page created in 0.195 seconds with 39 queries.