Artichokes - first year...

• 4 Replies

Growster...

Artichokes - first year...
« on: July 22, 2016, 18:30 »
We're growing globe artichokes this year, and as advised, we've cut off the first flowers.

But why do they say in books that they cannot be eaten?

Is there a flavour problem, or what?

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
Re: Artichokes - first year...
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2016, 19:25 »
I think the usual advice is cut them off while they are small just so the plant can strengthen. Like not picking rhubarb in the first year?

If they are big enough to eat, then you didn't cut them off early enough  :nowink:
If they are still quite small there may not be anything worth eating under the choke. I've never heard of them tasting bad..... there's is only one way to find out  :lol:

Growster...

« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2016, 20:00 »
I think the usual advice is cut them off while they are small just so the plant can strengthen. Like not picking rhubarb in the first year?

If they are big enough to eat, then you didn't cut them off early enough  :nowink:
If they are still quite small there may not be anything worth eating under the choke. I've never heard of them tasting bad..... there's is only one way to find out  :lol:

Good point, Mums - thank you.

The biggest is about the same size as a child's fist, while the smallest are just walnut size.

I reckon a negotiation with Mrs Growster may be on the cards, but as she eats like a bird, I probably will end up finishing off the whole lot..;0)

BTW, and off topic, we've had some blight round here, and I've also chucked a couple of toms today, but the others seem to be just fine! I don't think it'll be endemic.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2016, 21:17 »
Funny you should say that Mike - I was walking round the plots having a nosey and noticed odd spots of it, here and there. I wondered if it was perhaps not so virulent this year - or perhaps just waiting for some rain before it strikes hard  :ohmy:

I came home and made a tent affair from canes and polysheeting to protect the Kibitz toms in the garden, cos they are laden with toms, wouldn't want to lose them all to the first drop of rain  :(
Fingers crossed for us all now.

Growster...

« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2016, 21:41 »
Go that Gal!

I sprayed the whole lot of toms (about forty or so...) here with diluted aspirin today, so maybe we'll be checking any more of the blight some way...

I don't really want to start a 'blight scare' as it may upset chums here, and also may well be unfounded anyway!

xx
Jersualem artichokes

Started by Can you eat that? on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

4 Replies
Last post March 13, 2010, 19:59
by Poolfield2
xx
Jerusalem Artichokes

Started by ghost61 on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

5 Replies
Last post October 26, 2013, 15:37
by pigguns
xx
Globe Artichokes

Started by jenny53 on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

3 Replies
Last post July 02, 2012, 11:44
by mumofstig
xx
What's the best way to freeze globe artichokes?

Started by Swing Swang on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

3 Replies
Last post June 26, 2010, 13:45
by Swing Swang

Page created in 0.12 seconds with 29 queries.