storing carrots - bit of a problem!!

• 10 Replies

ACatCalledElvis

« on: October 29, 2007, 15:05 »
Hi

I have stored my carrots by digging them, cutting the tops, and then laying and covering in very slightly damp earth in boxes, and storing in my unheated, utility room - all well and good - but now they are growing again - sprouting tops and roots - is this ok? shall I just leave them to get on with it? Or will this effect the carrot (make them woody or something??)

Anyone else had this problem?

E
Be Reasonable Demand the Impossible

Organic as much as my plot neighbours allow

WG.

« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2007, 15:13 »
The roots will eventually go soft.  Keep them as cold as possible (but above freezing) - even an unheated utility room is much warmer than outdoors.  Mine are still in the ground and will be lifted as needed.

Trillium

« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2007, 16:29 »
This year you'll have to find a secure outdoor shed or unheated garage to keep your carrots for a while to chill up and stop growing.

Next year, try to wait for harvest until the ground and air temps are very cold, then harvest and store. By letting the carrots get very chilled in the soil, it helps lengthen storage time in the damp peat or sand in boxes.
My mother keeps taking hers out in Sept regardless of what we tell her and hers never keep beyond January.

ACatCalledElvis

« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2007, 16:39 »
oh thats bad news then - I took the up cos it was starting to get frosty and the slugs were moving in - If I left em any longer they would have been eaten!!

Anyway - still happy - my first big crop of carrots (been trying 4 years)

E

Trillium

« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2007, 16:49 »
Carrots in the ground can always be earthed up a little (like you'd do with potatoes) and the tops left for the slugs. They won't do any damage to the carrot root which has basically finished growing by now.

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2007, 16:53 »
I wasn't sure whether to leave mine in or lift them, as some of them have split, but I will leave them in the ground then!!

thanks for that!!!!!

Trillium

« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2007, 21:16 »
We get split ones too, GA. Just put them into the fridge and use them first. Same with the centipede-like ones  :lol:

muntjac

« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2007, 00:05 »
take the gren off and cover with straw .they will be protected from frost with a deep layer then fleece the straw down to stop it being blown away  :wink: and you tried to store them to early im guessing in to damp a compost in the daylight .they ned to be in the dark under a bench with bin bags over them .but not in them as they will heat up in any sunshine .... stick them in a freezer for 20 mins or so and then put in the soil after digging them up :wink:
still alive /............

gobs

« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2007, 10:08 »
Yep, they store much better outside, but here we get a lot of slug damage in those.

You can make some amends on storage, but they won't be good too long, you could possibly freeze some every now and then, whilst they are good.
"Words... I know exactly what words I'm wanting to say, but somehow or other they is always getting squiff-squiddled around." R Dahl

muntjac

« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2007, 10:52 »
freeze em from lifting em and they will store even better as the sugars start ti break down when they are liffted and left ... ,hot water . bowl of iced water loads cheap freezer bricks from freecyle n such and cut them into 1/4 inch bits .drop in hot water for 2 mins then out straight out into cold .... drain and plate freeze on baking trays for one hour and then bag up without coming into contact with the hands  :wink: werks for me

Liz

« Reply #10 on: October 30, 2007, 15:56 »
I've had to lift all of mine cause the blinking rats have started to feast on them  :(
Not necessarily organic

xx
Storing carrots

Started by Jules13 on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

1 Replies
Last post November 10, 2020, 14:42
by Aunt Sally
xx
Storing Carrots

Started by crh75 on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

3 Replies
Last post September 15, 2011, 11:31
by crh75
xx
Storing carrots...

Started by Growster... on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

6 Replies
Last post October 08, 2015, 13:44
by DanielCoffey
xx
Storing carrots

Started by daveypark on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

7 Replies
Last post August 03, 2009, 22:41
by Poolfield2

Page created in 0.162 seconds with 38 queries.