Lychnis

• 8 Replies

mrs bouquet

Lychnis
« on: July 10, 2023, 13:51 »
I have these pretty plants in both pink and white.  How do you deadhead them.   there are many flower heads.
Thanks,  Mrs Bouquet
Birds in cages do not sing  -  They are crying.

JayG

• Global Moderator
Re: Lychnis
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2023, 11:01 »
Dead heading doesn't seem to encourage them to produce more flowers, but going over them with the shears as soon as possible after flowering does help stop them seeding themselves everywhere (something they are very good at!  :ohmy:)
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

Growster...

« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2023, 21:06 »
I love the purple Lychnis we have here, in the middle of a gravel path! It gets clobbered by me, the dog and the wheelbarrow most days, but still soldiers on!

It comes back every year, and yup, the seeds have set all over the place, but what a picture they make!

mrs bouquet

« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2023, 12:04 »
I have never seen a purple one, that sounds lovely  They can seed wherever they like, what I don't want, I just pull out.      Thanks, guys.  Mrs B.

jaydig

« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2023, 17:15 »
I have never seen a purple one, that sounds lovely  They can seed wherever they like, what I don't want, I just pull out.      Thanks, guys.  Mrs B.
I do the same with forget-me-nots, Mrs B.  They come up all over the garden in spring, but I leave them there then just pull them up, giving them a little shake as I do so.  Same applies to love-in-a-mist. 
I hadn't thought about lychnis, but I'll give some a try.

Growster...

« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2023, 21:30 »
I do the same with forget-me-nots, Mrs B.  They come up all over the garden in spring, but I leave them there then just pull them up, giving them a little shake as I do so.  Same applies to love-in-a-mist. 
I hadn't thought about lychnis, but I'll give some a try.

This year, we had so many forget-me-nots flowering in quite a large bed, that we just left them, and they were fabulous for several weeks, as we didn't need to dig them out at the time they were at their best!

I need to clear out the debris soon, but hopefullly, they'll return next year!

mrs bouquet

« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2023, 14:07 »
I am not so rigid and strict with the garden anymore.  Cottage garden comes to mind.  :)

Growster...

« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2023, 06:12 »
I am not so rigid and strict with the garden anymore.  Cottage garden comes to mind.  :)

Same here, Mrs B!

No straight lines unless absolutely necessary, a week's pension spent on as many annual flowers as we can buy, and spread them everywhere in pots and trays, so we can change the colour scheme any time we want!

The front garden is a mass of shrubbery and gets minimal attention except to keep it tidy and colourful with Acers, Weigelas, White Buddleia, roses, (yes - from when Mrs Growster used to teach and grateful parents often gave her a rose at the end of the year), and about now, about four million Loosestrife...

Then the Japanese Anenomes get going and try to beat the Montbretia into the ground...

jaydig

« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2023, 11:03 »
My perfect garden, Mrs B.,   I can't bear to see gardens that are too regimented, the natural but cared for look is much, much better.

xx
Lychnis Coronaria ?

Started by mrs bouquet on General Gardening

3 Replies
Last post July 26, 2021, 13:52
by mrs bouquet
xx
Lychnis (white flowers)

Started by mrs bouquet on General Gardening

4 Replies
Last post July 02, 2020, 12:20
by JayG

Page created in 0.183 seconds with 48 queries.