Our new Coronation bed.

• 9 Replies

Goosegirl

Our new Coronation bed.
« on: April 29, 2023, 12:07 »
What was once called Fido's grave filled with white limestone rockery boulders, conifers that were only green on the top and mare's tail, it's been a work in mental progress for nearly three years. Anyway, having got other major priority jobs done since, here are two pics of it in progress. A further more aerial one may be on the cards for next week.

The border by the back wall will have shrubs etc and the two beds either side of the central path will have a selection of heathers. The strange stone at the top of this path is a weathered limestone rock we inherited and looks like a skull from certain angles. To me, it can look like something left over from Alien. Anyway, having just christened this area I thought you might just like to see it.
Coronation bed 2 (600 x 450).jpg
Coronation bed 1 (600 x 328).jpg
I work very hard so don't expect me to think as well.

mrs bouquet

Re: Our new Coronation bed.
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2023, 13:50 »
You have worked hard to achieve that, well done and thanks for the pics.  Mrs Bouquet
Birds in cages do not sing  -  They are crying.

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2023, 18:20 »
That's a fine piece of work, look at that lovely crumbly soil!
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

snowdrops

« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2023, 20:00 »
Great job and I’m in love & very envious of that wall, is it yours? We had a speaker at garden club one month who showed us a wall like that planted up with alpines, it looked superb & made my concrete wall look , well very concrete  :wacko:
A woman's place is in her garden.

See my diary pages here
and add a comment here

Growster...

« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2023, 06:23 »
Lovely job there Goosey!

I love drystone walling - we just don't have any around here, it's either hedges, or 6' wooden paling fences!

Suggested plants for a coronation bed are: - ''Chuck Berry'', and a ''Camelia''...

Goosegirl

« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2023, 08:39 »
Thanks for your lovely comments and yes, the wall is ours and it goes on past the gate on the right and continues down the side to the end of our back garden where there is a small gap at that end between it and next door's fence. We are trying to get a dry-stone waller to fill it in with some of the big blocks and roundel-type stones we inherited. As said, it's not a job anyone can do. I did see some people doing it on the field where the Westmorland Show occurs each year and would love to watch it being done. Just to say my OH designed it but we have two lovely chaps who help us with various gardening and other jobs so they did all the digging etc. The excavated soil (including mare's tail) filled one medium and one large skip! The wall and other areas of stone in the garden have ground ivy and, after weeding and spraying it last year, I'm just going to hoick it out by hand.

Goosegirl

« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2023, 09:17 »
Some plants could be, as Growster stated previously, royal related so perhaps Good King Henry, Queen Elizabeth roses, camp-anne-ulas and some King Edward potatoes.  :tongue2:

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2023, 17:24 »
You might need some “lords and ladies” to act as pages and maids of honour.
IMG_1208.jpeg

Growster...

« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2023, 18:53 »
Hairy Bittercress, (perhaps they spelt it wrong...)!

snowdrops

« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2023, 19:43 »
Hairy Bittercress, (perhaps they spelt it wrong...)!

:lol::lol::lol:

Page created in 0.158 seconds with 45 queries.