The effect of composting on the environment and your pocket

• 13 Replies

Offwego

• Experienced Member
Between our household peelings, Guinea pig cage cleaning and the collected coffee grounds from Starbucks etc we recycle via our compost heaps at least 15kg per week, add weeds , cuttings , grass cuttings etc that would average say a total of circa 22 kg per week
So over the year a considerable amount if only more households did even this much per year imagine the savings to local authorities and landfill etc
Obviously the above excludes the added benefits to your soils and the financial savings of not buying in compost the benefits are huge
« Last Edit: April 04, 2022, 18:10 by Offwego »

rowlandwells

we also recycle all of our compostable material excluding food waste and perennial weeds all non compostable things go into the recycling bin at £42.00 quid a year and although we use all our recycled composted material we still need to sow green manure to keep the ground in good condition

and although I think recycling material is good for the allotments raised beds etc some  people tend to use the recycling bins that's collected and  goes go back to the council for recycling never the less the recycled material is only sold of to commercial companies like landscape gardeners in tonne bags not for resale to the general public

some people tend to take there garden waist to the recycle centres not sure if this goes to the recycling plant or landfill tend to think it goes to landfill and unfortunately more people are using the recycle centre because of the cost of paying for a bin and some use the roadside to dump there  garden waist sad but true

rowlandwells

I forgot to mention we still buy around 30 bags of compost per year

Subversive_plot

• Global Moderator
One way or another, I'd say 80% our household organic matter goes into compost.  Any coffee grounds, fruit peels, etc. goes into my back yard compost bin along with yard waste.  No meat etc. of course.

Some food waste goes through the garbage disposal in the kitchen sink, then to wastewater in the sewer, then to the treatment plant.  Along with other (ahem . . .) waste solids.  Together, those go to a hot composting process, with community yard waste.  I do buy, and use, this finished compost, very good stuff, over many years, never had a problem with it; inexpensive too, $20 per cubic yard.

The 20% that does not get composted?  Raw meat scraps (plus vegetable waste my family insists on binning instead of composting; can't win 'em all, discretion is the better part of valor).
"Somewhere between right and wrong, there is a garden. I will meet you there."~ Rumi

Rob the rake

All my plant-based waste goes to compost, both on my plot and home garden. Even perennial weeds, suitably dried or withered, are fed into the mix. At the veg plot, 9 "Dalek" style composters are always in various stages of use, plus a couple more at home.

Despite my best efforts the home-made compost is never entirely free of weed seeds, so it's used on the plot or, suitably sieved, for potting-on duties. I'd guess that I also use between 20 and 30 x 80 litre bags of good quality commercial compost in a typical year.

I also make several " brands" of liquid feeds, based on my own comfrey, collected seaweed and so on. The seaweed feed - a little deficient in potassium for fruiting crops - is augmented with organic banana skins to make up the shortfall.
A calloused palm and dirty fingernails precede a Green Thumb.

rowlandwells

we don't compost perennial  weeds and  still use good quality peat based compost's we tend to use an organic liquid feed and we don't us comfrey

steven c

• Experienced Member
we have 6 daleks at home and 3 pallet bay set up at the plot  starting in the first dalek then move that when full to number 2 etc  by the time it comes out the end it is great compost and we compost everything we can i know it seems a lot of work but i am retired now and i use it as a way to keep active i will while i still can  we also have a ready supply of well rotted horse manure to mix with this.
from bow like to grow

coldandwindy

• Experienced Member
I'm interested that some people compost perennial weeds and some don't. Remembering Geoff Hamilton's story of nailing a dandelion root to the shed door & planting it a year later, I have a "pile of no return" where my perennial weeds just disappear quietly. My plot was once a not very well looked after grazing field so I am plagued by buttercups. If I could stick these in the normal compost heaps it would be much easier for me - is that a bad idea?

rowlandwells

yep I forgot to mention we to mix fresh horse manure in our daleks it seems to break down to a good compostable mix after its been in the bin for around twelve months a very good method for an organic compost I have to say  ;)

Offwego

• Experienced Member
I also add in a good quantity of horse muck which is in varying stages of decomposition, I use whatever’s delivered to our site by the local stables
I’m also for the first time this year using wormeries and looking forward to the results of these

Subversive_plot

• Global Moderator
Re: The effect of composting on the environment and your pocket
« Reply #10 on: April 30, 2022, 13:12 »
We have a lot of deer in our neighborhood, and increasingly, our front yard has become the loo for the deer. It's not overwhelming, but enough that I'm looking into whether composting deer "road apples" is a good idea or not. I have to clean it up anyway, might as well put it to use.

Quick update: at least for deer here in the USA, all online advice I've seen says composting deer poo is OK as long as you either hot compost, or compost for more than a year.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2022, 13:21 by Subversive_plot »

New shoot

• Global Moderator
Re: The effect of composting on the environment and your pocket
« Reply #11 on: April 30, 2022, 17:00 »
I'm interested that some people compost perennial weeds and some don't. Remembering Geoff Hamilton's story of nailing a dandelion root to the shed door & planting it a year later, I have a "pile of no return" where my  weeds just disappear quietly. My plot was once a not very well looked after grazing field so I am plagued by buttercups. If I could stick these in the normal compost heaps it would be much easier for me - is that a bad idea?

Buttercups will grow in the compost heap.  You can leave them spread out to dry if you have somewhere suitable.  This works with weeds that have relatively thin roots.  A dandelion would take a long time, but whether it would take a year nailed to a shed door I don’t know  :unsure:  :lol:

Your other option is a bucket of water and leave the weeds to stew into a slop before adding this to your heap.  Be warned, it stinks to high heaven, so a lid for the bucket is highly recommended  ;)

Rob the rake

I'm interested that some people compost perennial weeds and some don't. Remembering Geoff Hamilton's story of nailing a dandelion root to the shed door & planting it a year later, I have a "pile of no return" where my perennial weeds just disappear quietly. My plot was once a not very well looked after grazing field so I am plagued by buttercups. If I could stick these in the normal compost heaps it would be much easier for me - is that a bad idea?

I regularly add dandelions and the odd buttercup to the bin and have yet to see any survive the process. Pretty sure they'd show up when the finished compost's sieved and they don't, so I'd say they've been assimilated. If possible they're left to wilt and dry for a few days beforehand, preferably in the sun, but not always. Maybe it's the use of dalek composters which more or less completely exclude the light that makes the difference?

Edit: The one weed which I'm careful with is convolvus, left in the open for months to dry/wither/degrade before finally going in the bin.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2022, 21:19 by Rob the rake »

GraciesGran

We are in week four of a bin men strike that goes on until at least the 11th of June.  Everything thing that can go in the compost dalek is being composted.

xx
beware if yer lotty is in a frost pocket!

Started by mushroom on General Gardening

6 Replies
Last post November 17, 2007, 18:05
by mushroom
xx
effect of aerosol spray paint on bushes

Started by Paleologus on General Gardening

5 Replies
Last post May 31, 2010, 16:29
by Dilly Dom
xx
Composting Yew

Started by sion01 on General Gardening

4 Replies
Last post August 22, 2011, 18:15
by sion01
xx
Composting

Started by casper on General Gardening

14 Replies
Last post April 24, 2021, 15:52
by jezza

Page created in 0.162 seconds with 49 queries.