potatoe blight?

• 13 Replies

muddifoot

• Experienced Member
potatoe blight?
« on: June 22, 2008, 21:44 »
when I looked at the spuds this morning I noticed  a couple had fallen over and looked sick-  so I thought -I'll get rid of you and when I pulled it ,it was slimy--Panic== being new to this game and reading so much about blight -  and Alex and mrs. s. had already left so I need instant advice please. :roll:

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
potatoe blight?
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2008, 21:56 »
Not sure what it would be, but I don't think it's blight. It would have been evident on the leaves first and the affected tubers take a while to rot.

There are no reported outbreaks in your area.

Blight Incidents Map
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

Swing Swang

potatoe blight?
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2008, 22:09 »
Potato black leg?

muddifoot

• Experienced Member
potatoe blight?
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2008, 22:14 »
potatoe black leg? what might that be?  remember your talking to a real novice here- :?

gobs

potatoe blight?
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2008, 22:17 »
The stems were wet, is it what you are saying, what was slimy. Blighted pots don't fall over, it's the wind, they are slippy from wet, I'd guess, from lack of detail.
"Words... I know exactly what words I'm wanting to say, but somehow or other they is always getting squiff-squiddled around." R Dahl

Swing Swang

potatoe blight?
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2008, 21:53 »
Potato Blackleg is caused by the bacterium Erwina carotovors.

Spreads through moist soil, especially in spring.

Yellow curled leaves, stunted growth, black roots/tubers/stem. Stem often slimy and falling apart.

Keep soil well drained, discard blackened/discoloured tubers.

Remove and burn infected plants.

Reference: What's wrong with my plant - Steven Bradley

Hope this helps

Philip

Zak the Rabbit

• My (occasional) blog -
potatoe blight?
« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2008, 22:46 »
ive blackleg on some of my pentland javs, if you catch it early enough they are not slimey so easier to pull the plant out. Ive had it a few times and not noticed a problem with the tubers
(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")
the rabbit of caerbannogg

Aidy

• Location: Born n bred Lancastrian living in tropical Blackpool
    • Aidy Neal Photography
potatoe blight?
« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2008, 11:36 »
Quote from: "Zak the Rabbit"
ive blackleg on some of my pentland javs, if you catch it early enough they are not slimey so easier to pull the plant out. Ive had it a few times and not noticed a problem with the tubers

Snap, two of my PJ's have it, noticed last night, going topull all up as after doing a scrape they seem just the right size now. hey ho off digging we go.
Punk isn't dead...it's underground where it belongs. If it comes to the surface it's no longer punk...it's Green Day!

owein

• Experienced Member
potatoe blight?
« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2008, 12:07 »
It couldn't be the original seed potato that you have pulled up could it? They go very nasty and slimy once thier job is done

Aidy

• Aidy Neal Photography
potatoe blight?
« Reply #9 on: June 25, 2008, 12:19 »
Quote from: "owein"
It couldn't be the original seed potato that you have pulled up could it? They go very nasty and slimy once thier job is done

The top growth gives it away, the seed tat will be at the very bottom, mine are the new ones.

Zak the Rabbit

• My (occasional) blog -
potatoe blight?
« Reply #10 on: June 25, 2008, 15:15 »
just been to my mums where her pentland jav also had it. I pulled it up and dug the spuds, about half a dozen new potatoes :D  so her and my lad are having them for dinner

oddly, i noticed that the base of the stem had a chunk missing, like something had eaten half of the stem away. I think i had something like it on mine. So its possible that the desiese (sp.) gets in when some other pest has a nibble.

muddifoot

• Experienced Member
potatoe blight?
« Reply #11 on: June 25, 2008, 18:42 »
thanks for the info-  potatoes can be really a pain if they don't work -I think I'll dig deeper tomorow- and hope theres a bushel of spuds hiding in the ground-  I'm thinking positive tonight.

gobs

potatoe blight?
« Reply #12 on: June 25, 2008, 19:01 »
Quote from: "Zak the Rabbit"
just been to my mums where her pentland jav also had it. I pulled it up and dug the spuds, about half a dozen new potatoes :D  so her and my lad are having them for dinner

oddly, i noticed that the base of the stem had a chunk missing, like something had eaten half of the stem away. I think i had something like it on mine. So its possible that the desiese (sp.) gets in when some other pest has a nibble.

With the seed more likely, does not survive in soil, but I think it does on plant debris and of course on left behind tiny tubers.

Aidy

• Aidy Neal Photography
potatoe blight?
« Reply #13 on: June 26, 2008, 09:10 »
I lifted some of mine last night, the plants that have what I  thought was black leg had tubers on the main stem that was very deformed, looked more like a jersulem choke than a tater. the top few tats weremouldy and horrid but the bottom ones were fine and they tasted very nice.

xx
Help - we have potato blight and tomato blight

Started by jlb664 on Grow Your Own

12 Replies
Last post May 09, 2010, 08:26
by Kristen
xx
Potatoe

Started by Tom Hill on Grow Your Own

10 Replies
Last post January 31, 2013, 00:37
by Jamrock
xx
potatoe woe

Started by rictic on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post August 24, 2009, 00:02
by rictic
xx
which potatoe??

Started by casper on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post June 15, 2014, 08:05
by diospyros

Page created in 0.297 seconds with 29 queries.