Greenhouse polycarbonate sheets?

• 10 Replies

Angela

« on: January 09, 2007, 14:58 »
Hi!  I've been watching a website called Freecycle for a while now- thanks to someone on radio 2.  People are giving away the most amazing stuff for free and you can get rid of just about anything you've finished with.  This weekend I am going to pick up a 10x8 greehouse from a farm!  However, it has no glass and has stood on the field for a couple of years so I'm not sure quite what to expect.  I don't want to glaze it as my neighbour on the allotment just had his blown over in the high winds, loosing most of the glass.  But polycarb sheets are quite exprensive I think.  Anyone tell me where I can get some cheap or any alternatives?  Would be very grateful.  Ps. we live "up north" in Whitley Bay and we managed to grow sweetcorn and carrots last summer on our first year at the allotment - not that I'm bragging or anything!

muntjac

« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2007, 15:07 »
i have used freecycle as well , if the greenhouse is well anchored you wont have any probs with it in the winds .i live on the beach almost and get severe gales .the galss in good order makes the greenhouse stronger . there really isnt anything cheaper than glass.except for asking for recycled glass from double glasing firms like we have here .they strip the old wndoes and clean it and cut to order .my panes for my greenhouse come out at £2. each as apposed to £ 3 new
still alive /............

fluffypebble

« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2007, 15:31 »
I am picking up my freecycle greenhouse on Saturday, 10 x 6 aluminium, 5 broken panes at the moment (more on sat evening).
I got a parafin heater last night, getting old carpet tonight and other stuff for the garden on thurs.  I have had loads of good stuff from freecycle including a 6 berth tent.
http://10.UploadMirror.com/uploaded/1/646/glitter_maker_03_04_2007_03_32_52_22128.gif[/img]

(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")
A weekend wasted is not a wasted weekend.

Angela

"New" greenhouse
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2007, 22:25 »
Hi!  Thanks for the advice regarding glazing the greenhouse.  Will try the double glazing companies for some glass.  What is the best was to anchor the greenhouse?  Was going to just stand it on some paving slabs I have stacked up at home.

muntjac

« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2007, 22:28 »
lay a 6x6 inch layer of concrete and then you will be able to drill and screw it down into the concrete .if you look tah greenhouse may have right angle brackets on the base section just for this  2 on iether end and 3 on bothe sides . to glaze it do the roof first then the sides and then the ends the door hangs last .if you find the door slides off the hangers drill a hole and slide a bolt in at the furthermost point it opens to , hope that helps

muntjac

« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2007, 22:30 »
make sure you ask for  non doubler glazing glas that is recycled not new unles its cheap ,.or ask on freecycle for old panes of glass .i got a load from a green house that someone took down . i used the aluminum metal to make staging frames

muntjac

« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2007, 22:33 »
just a point if you are not allowed to use concrete use railway sleepers they are heavy enough .if neede use a chainsaw to cut them to fit before you buy them some folks will cut them for you  :wink:

hayles62

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2007, 07:22 »
I got my Merry Tiller and Loom from freecycle and many other things plus it's inspired me to move on stuff I don't use.

Angela

"New" greenhouse
« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2007, 08:13 »
Hi!  Thanks for all your advice.  Can't wait to get the greenhouse on Saturday!  Best thing is I get to drive a van  :)

shaun

« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2007, 18:51 »
timber sleepers around here are about £30 a go i kid you not,theres none left they burnt them all when they were burning the cows,pigs n sheep (foot n mouth a few years back)
feed the soil not the plants
organicish
you learn gardening by making mistakes

jane1264

• Experienced Member
« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2007, 21:26 »
I've just discovered freecycle thanks to reading about it on this website - it's brilliant - just got rid of the dishwasher we've had sitting in our kitchen for a couple of months (mother in law bought us a new one for Christmas) that I'd been trying to work out what to do with it.  Going to collect some pallets and bits of wood for use on the allotment for compost bin and paths this weekend.  It's great what people want to get rid of and will take from you and use - better then dumping it in the tip!

Jane

xx
plastic sheets and second hand wood!

Started by weeeed on Frugal Living

5 Replies
Last post April 07, 2008, 16:12
by weeeed
xx
RE-USE A GREENHOUSE

Started by MARROW HEAD on Frugal Living

3 Replies
Last post October 12, 2008, 00:10
by GrannieAnnie
xx
Plastic Greenhouse

Started by alwayshopeful on Frugal Living

1 Replies
Last post May 20, 2010, 19:40
by mumofstig
xx
how to collect your greenhouse

Started by philskin on Frugal Living

10 Replies
Last post December 26, 2008, 16:51
by Porffor

Page created in 0.183 seconds with 41 queries.