Pathetic broad bean crop

• 11 Replies

AlaninCarlisle

Pathetic broad bean crop
« on: July 09, 2017, 16:50 »
Loads of top growth, looked really vigorous and healthy but woeful crop of beans. Maybe three meals from around fifty plants. First time I've had this problem as broad beans are usually so prolific
I'm  wondering if you can overfeed them in much the same way as apple trees. Too much horse-muck equals growth at the expense of fruit?

ARPoet

• Experienced Member
  • I love growing and eating beans
Re: Pathetic broad bean crop
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2017, 17:13 »
Me too. Over winter broadies grew too fast then toppled over and spring sown failed to show. One boiling, thats all.
Roger.

Its Grand Being Daft

shedmeister

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2017, 18:26 »
The best year by far for me. super aquadulcies went in the ground in october as good size plants to avoid the mice. I did have the foresight to use canes and tied themn on twice as they grew to avoid wind. Had loads of fresh and give aways plus loads in the freezer
May the fork be with you

Growster...

« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2017, 18:51 »
Interesting post, Alan.

We just grow a few plants, about forty, and one side of the paired line went everywhere, and the other just sat there looking feeble!

They've just picked up, but I have to assume that it was the hot spell which gave them a headache...

Never seen this before, but then I'm only a humble Growster...

greenjay

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2017, 19:31 »
I hadn't grown broad beans for a few years as youngest son not keen.
planted a small row this year, but a poor crop, pods seem to form but not many beans In them.

oldgrunge

« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2017, 20:26 »
Same here, poor crop this year. Usually grow Bunyard's Exhibition, but this year grew Masterpiece Longpod, but think the hot dry weather earlier I'd more to blame than the variety. Also had massive attacks of black fly.
We come from the earth, we return to the earth, and in between we garden.

mjg000

• Winner, Prettiest Pumpkin - 2015
« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2017, 20:39 »
Well my BB's have been fantastic, huge crop.  Blackfly which appeared for a short while early on just disappeared and plants have stood tall and proud. Mainly Wizard bean which is a first for me and i will repeat.  I'm just taking enough to use and clearing slowly leaving any small plants standing for a second chance.

AnneB

« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2017, 20:41 »
I have given up with traditional broad beans and now grow Wizard field beans.  The same in all respects taste wise or even better to be honest, just that each bean is a little smaller.   I sow them last week of October / first week of November.  Vast majority overwinter successfully.  They produce absolutely loads of beans, so yield is much greater than the same number of broad beans.  I sow them in a block.  They don't have the same problems with chocolate spot or blackfly either.
I have just spent the entire afternoon podding today's harvest and haven't finished yet, plus I have 120 pods set aside for friends.
I would recommend them completely.

AnneB

« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2017, 20:47 »
Well my BB's have been fantastic, huge crop.  Blackfly which appeared for a short while early on just disappeared and plants have stood tall and proud. Mainly Wizard bean which is a first for me and i will repeat.  I'm just taking enough to use and clearing slowly leaving any small plants standing for a second chance.
Glad my contribution to the Seed Circle worked out well. You always wonder if things will turnout well for others.

victoria park

« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2017, 21:09 »
No idea. In 20 years, I've never had an overwintering broad bean problem, apart from one very wet winter that caused some rust, but they still limped over the line and produced an excellent crop. Can't think how broad beans could fail apart from very obvious early chocolate spot or a black fly infestation.
Aquadulce first week in November, sow under a net, light touch paper and stand well back for 6 months. LOL. Nothing else needs to be done apart from some H2O.

Bad luck Alan, maybe some sort of faulty seed/drought thing or unknown unseen pest thing. Broad beans are a given in almost any conditions.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2017, 21:16 by victoria park »

greenjay

• Experienced Member
« Reply #10 on: July 09, 2017, 22:00 »
are wizard beans a type of field bean?
 I have not heard of them before but sounds like something to try.

AnneB

« Reply #11 on: July 09, 2017, 23:56 »
are wizard beans a type of field bean?
 I have not heard of them before but sounds like something to try.
Wizard beans are indeed a type of field bean.  I got my original seed supply from Tuckers Seeds in Devon, but they have stopped doing on line sales (boo) but Real Seeds sell them, and I am sure other suppliers do as well.  They are a variety bred specifically for humans to eat rather than traditionally as a fodder crop or green manure,  I am led to believe.  Definitely give them a go, they are so much easier than ordinary broad beans - I tried several different varieties over a number of years (Aquadulce Claudia, Aquadulce Longpod, Crimson Flowered amongst others) but none has come anywhere near Wizard for productivity, disease resistance and hardiness.  Everybody who I have given seed to is a convert.

xx
2nd broad bean crop?

Started by themoog on Grow Your Own

31 Replies
Last post August 05, 2011, 22:44
by Yorkie
xx
Possible second broad bean crop?

Started by Kleftiwallah on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post June 24, 2012, 19:28
by Kleftiwallah
xx
Runner/broad bean crop rotation

Started by banf77 on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post March 06, 2010, 17:59
by craggy
xx
Broad Beans bad crop

Started by julietmaria on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post July 15, 2007, 14:35
by liz from the fizz

Page created in 0.309 seconds with 39 queries.