Which is the best variety of shallot?

• 17 Replies

AnneB

Which is the best variety of shallot?
« on: November 13, 2011, 15:34 »
Last year I grew Jermor and planted in spring.  It did OK, but they turned out on the small side I thought.  This year, if I get a move on, I fancy trying out some planted now to overwinter.  Which varieties have people had most success with?

arugula

• Winner - prettiest sunflower 2011
  • hic svnt leones
Re: Which is the best variety of shallot?
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2011, 15:46 »
We grew "Longor" from Garden Organic this year - other sources are available. Our first go at shallots, although spring-planted and not your plan, there was a great crop from them and being the banana shallot they are much easier to peel than round ones. I made them into plaits to store them, pictured here.

:)
"They say a snow year's a good year" -- Rutherford.

Ice

• muck spreader
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2011, 15:58 »
Agree with argyllie.  My banana shallots were great and are my first choice to grow as they are good to cook with.
Cheese makes everything better.

shokkyy

• Mishka
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2011, 16:21 »
I've always had problems getting decent sized shallots from sets, though I've never tried doing the banana ones. Anyone tried shallots from seed? Long Red Florence look rather nice.

realfood

• Experienced Member
    • Grow Your Own Info
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2011, 16:38 »
Shallots from seed are good. They are bigger than if they were grown from sets and do not grow go to seed.
Long red florence is really an onion that is often used as a shallot.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2011, 17:26 »
Long Red Florence worked a treat here  :) They were lovely and mild sliced in salads and whole in casseroles. They got quite big towards the end of sumer and I dried them and used them like ordinary onions, but they've all gone now, so don't know how long they would store for.

AnneB

« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2011, 18:16 »
Argyllie's crop certainly looks very impressive.  I think I might go with those, but the long red florence look tempting too.  I will definitely pick one of them.....

Growster...

« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2011, 06:31 »
I'm wondering about overwintering too Anne.

Earlier this season, nearly all the onions and shallots failed, because of the dry weather, so I bought some shallots very late to try and catch up.

They grew to about an inch diameter, and then stopped, so we kept them dry for seed next time.

There's plenty of room to get them in, but I'm not sure if it's too early to pop them in this soon. What are your thoughts?

Alan lad

« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2011, 06:41 »
Have done wrong then by planing some out now? Would I have best waited till spring? And, for every one set that I plant how many will this produce? Same question for garlic too? Sorry if they sound daft questions but it's all new to me.

8doubles

« Reply #9 on: November 14, 2011, 08:38 »
I'm wondering about overwintering too Anne.

Earlier this season, nearly all the onions and shallots failed, because of the dry weather, so I bought some shallots very late to try and catch up.

They grew to about an inch diameter, and then stopped, so we kept them dry for seed next time.

There's plenty of room to get them in, but I'm not sure if it's too early to pop them in this soon. What are your thoughts?

My thoughts are eat them or pickle them , if you replant them next year chances are they will bolt to seed.

Salmo

« Reply #10 on: November 14, 2011, 08:45 »
I tried an experiment last year by planting jermor shallots at 3 different times, late October, the traditionat 21st December, and late February. This was messed about by the frozen ground in December which delayed the 21st December ones until 6th January.

We had a very dry and warm Spring. The late planting was a little less yield but there was no difference between the other two.

compostqueen

« Reply #11 on: November 14, 2011, 10:03 »
I absolutely love the long red Florence onions, and grown from seed they are a doddle. It's not a shallot though, it definitely is an onion. Great eating, lovely and sweet. They grow quickly and have gorgeous, lush foliage and if you can keep the rabbits off it, means you can cook the tops too

I have my shallots in now and they're already through. These are Jermor and Vigarmor
I grew some shallots from seed last year but not very good ones  :(

Ian_A

• Experienced Member
« Reply #12 on: November 14, 2011, 10:38 »
from a culinary persective, Longor are amongst the best flavour and are highly prized. And the last 3 years of growing this variety (in addition to a couple of other varieties) they grew the largest, without fuss.

AnneB

« Reply #13 on: November 14, 2011, 11:25 »
Have done wrong then by planing some out now? Would I have best waited till spring? And, for every one set that I plant how many will this produce? Same question for garlic too? Sorry if they sound daft questions but it's all new to me

I don't think you have done much wrong planting them out now.  I think for every shallot set you plant, you should expect 4 -6 shallots from it, depending on variety.  You should split the garlic into single cloves and plant those, and from each clove you will get an entire new bulb next summer.

(Edit to clarify quoted text)
« Last Edit: November 14, 2011, 12:25 by JayG »

cooperman

• Experienced Member
  • glass bottle bottle glass
« Reply #14 on: November 14, 2011, 12:27 »
someone might have mentioned it before but here goes > shallots are traditionally planted on the shortest day ie 21st December some say Boxing Day as well.....
As for me the bed has already been prepared and covered with plastic. In January I will plant out as and when the weather permits, but always January.  As for variety, I use sets that have been selected and put to one side from my previous crop, the original seed sets where given to me by a neighbour (Old Len who is still going strong at 87!) so no idea as to variety, but they are definately shallots and are quite big compared to shop bought sets like Jermor etc..... btw Len always wins the shallot class!!

Death OR Cake ???

xx
Shallot Variety

Started by arh on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post June 28, 2017, 13:39
by arh
xx
Can you recommend a shallot variety?

Started by missmoneypenny on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post October 20, 2021, 20:45
by missmoneypenny
xx
anyone suggest their ``best variety shallot``?

Started by Carollan on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post October 28, 2012, 17:20
by AnneB
xx
Shallot’s

Started by adal on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post May 26, 2010, 20:34
by adal

Page created in 0.331 seconds with 34 queries.