Need more space !

• 18 Replies

Lardman

Re: Need more space !
« Reply #15 on: July 16, 2011, 13:06 »
You guys must be really fleet of foot  ::) I tried for 2 years with no paths between beds and simply couldn't get on with it. I need at least 18" to walk, turn , bend down and weed.  It also means my back  garden doesn't look too much like an allotment  :D

The paths are weed membrane with 18" slabs on top, beds are wooden and raised 12".

Its the second growing season I've missed out as I've been digging out tier 3.  :( I should stop messing around and get that finished really so Id have more space rather than trying to cram everything in.

I did notice this morning I have a 1ft x10ft bed alone side the greenhouse that I planted rudbeckia in , they haven't even bothered to flower yet, so they're now on borrowed time !
« Last Edit: July 16, 2011, 20:01 by Lardman »

sarajane

« Reply #16 on: July 16, 2011, 16:11 »
Could you heel them into the ground for a few weeks and then put them where your broad beans are when they have finished?

snowdrops

« Reply #17 on: July 16, 2011, 20:24 »
A lot of people think paths are a waste of space/growing room. I get lots of comments on our lottie about my paths but if you never walk on the soil you can plant closer together & still get a good crop. I, like you, lardman tried for years without the paths but always ended up standing on something.I've divided both my half plots into 3 long narrow beds each & find it works well.
A woman's place is in her garden.

See my diary pages here
and add a comment here

Trillium

« Reply #18 on: July 16, 2011, 23:56 »
I think some of your flowerbeds need to turn into veg beds, as will some of mine. Much as I love my flowers, I need the veggies more. In the near future some of the perennials will be dug out and donated to the flower clubs so that I can squeeze in some climbing veg as I too am at a premium for space with a large septic bed in the sunniest area  >:( (I didn't put it there, previous owner did)

clip
Best use of space

Started by lordthanatos on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post February 05, 2016, 16:22
by 3759allen
xx
What to do with the space I have???

Started by Casey76 on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post June 08, 2009, 22:44
by Yorkie
xx
better use of space?

Started by mumofstig on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post February 10, 2009, 10:41
by woodburner
xx
Need more space...

Started by Casey76 on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post March 28, 2014, 16:31
by Christine

Page created in 0.384 seconds with 34 queries.