Rain

• 22 Replies

wellingtons

Here in the south east ...
« Reply #15 on: August 18, 2006, 10:51 »
... we have finally had some decent rain over the past couple of weeks.  And the spinach and rocket seeds that I had planted weeks ago are up and running.  But I bet the ruddy flea beetle will have given them the once over whilst my back was turned.

Da llot is looking so much better, too late for my french beans and my bolted lettuce, but it will ensure the courgettes go on for weeks yet (oh joy!).

Is it too soon to ask if I'm going to have to endure another hosepipe ban next year??

mellowmick

• Experienced Member
Rain
« Reply #16 on: August 18, 2006, 11:03 »
Downpour last night. According to the local weather website, it was falling at the rate of 54mm per hour at one point. Makes a welcome change, especially as it was overnight.

Judymac

Rain
« Reply #17 on: August 19, 2006, 14:58 »
Wish my problem was sunshine  :cry: ...we've had two weeks solid of rain, and it's cold wet and miserable. Over 12 inches of rain in 2 weeks, my nice loamy soil is now totally waterlogged and the bean poles keep trying to fall over! I won't mention the tomatoes... :evil:
Is there such a thing as a anti-rain dance?

So depressed with the plot this year, hailstones smashed the broad beans, colorado beetle kept trying to eat the potatoes and aubergine, the flea beetles... Aaaargh!?!

Well that got it out of the system, so I'm off to get some runners for supper.

Hope your nice weather comes here for a visit soon so I can turn the heating off...

Judy

Oliver

COLORADO beetle
« Reply #18 on: August 19, 2006, 18:19 »
Quote from: "Judymac"
colorado beetle kept trying to eat the potatoes
Yikes Judy - are colorado beetle notifable in France too? (they are in the UK)

We have had rain off and on since yesterday, funny that, as we invited some friends for a barbecue. That's a sure way to make it rain.
 Oliver
Keep the plot cultivated, that's the best way to ensure its future.

John

• Administrator
    • Low Cost Living
Rain
« Reply #19 on: August 19, 2006, 22:33 »
3" plus this week so far :)  - That's over 14 gallons per square yard.  Maybe enough to wet the ground below a finger's depth!
Check out our books - ideal presents

John and Val Harrison's Books

Judymac

Rain
« Reply #20 on: August 20, 2006, 20:15 »
Colorado Beetle: No, the little b@@@@s seem to be rife here, not notifiable either. I used a tip from another organic gardener, and mulched the potatoes with grass clippings. Pulled off the CBs by hand, for a few days. Luckily they seemed to dislike the new surroundings and disappeared to make life miserable for someone else.  :shock:

I made some yarrow tea today and will be spraying the tomatoes and pumpkins tomorrow - stops mildew.

Mushrooms are appearing everywhere so I think I'll go mushroom hunting and blackberrying as well.

Is it just me or do things seem more advanced this year? We've had blackberries for 2 weeks now, and the elderberries are ripe too, methinks the winter is going to be another nasty long one...

By the way, the anti-rain dance hasn't started working yet...maybe dancing widdershins around the potager in green wellie boots, naked will frighten the weather into behaving...nah, just frighten the sheep...  :wink:

Judy

John

• Administrator
    • Low Cost Living
Rain
« Reply #21 on: August 20, 2006, 23:56 »
Just don't frighten the horses :)

mellowmick

• Experienced Member
Rain
« Reply #22 on: August 21, 2006, 09:37 »
We had floods on friday night. Very biblical; no locusts yet though.

xx
rain, rain glorious rain!

Started by slow_worm on Grow Your Own

27 Replies
Last post July 01, 2007, 09:43
by digger1957
xx
RAIN RAIN AND VEGETABLES

Started by duncan on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post July 23, 2007, 22:36
by Annie
xx
Rain rain and more rain

Started by deezkatz on Grow Your Own

42 Replies
Last post August 15, 2008, 16:57
by fletch
xx
3RD DAM DAY OF RAIN

Started by muntjac on Grow Your Own

33 Replies
Last post November 18, 2007, 23:55
by mushroom

Page created in 0.346 seconds with 35 queries.