badger damage

• 3 Replies

badger

badger damage
« on: August 07, 2006, 13:15 »
Hello everyone I'm new to this site and fairly new to allotment holding.  I started on my small plot in February.  It's going well but I do have a problem with badgers.  My carrots were decimated the other night.  Any advice?

noshed

badger damage
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2006, 13:56 »
Ring Bill Oddie - you could make a fortune. I know foxes don't like the smell of diesel - but you wouldn't necessarily want that on your carrots.
Self-sufficient in rasberries and bindweed. Slug pellets can be handy.

badger

badger damage
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2006, 21:01 »
The carrots that were demolished were atually on my garden at home.  Last year the badgers deomolished all my sweet corn just as it was reaching maturity so this year I have grown the corn on my allotment and put some wire fencing around it.  So far so good but I forgot about badgers likeing carrots I suppose next year I will have to fence in my whole veg plot at home.  The badgers also leave holes in the ground where they have been digging for veg and also their visiting card- a huge pile, again, in a neat little hole.  I'm hoping they don't like parsnips as it is the first time I have ever grown them and they are very small at the mo.

Oliver

BADGERS!!!!
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2006, 22:56 »
Quote from: "badger"
....  I suppose next year I will have to fence in my whole veg plot at home.  AND ....  I'm hoping they don't like parsnips

:lol:  :lol: 'fraid they do -

Her husband's cousin's husband (complicated that!) builds a chicken wire cage round his veg in his garden. Badgers LOVE carrots, PARSHIPS, corn - they wreak havoc in his garden.

So sorry you have badgers, they are 'nice' beasties, but not if you have a garden  ..  thank heaven they have not discovered the allotment!
O
Keep the plot cultivated, that's the best way to ensure its future.

xx
Blasted Badger

Started by Lardman on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post August 09, 2011, 01:51
by Endymion
xx
Sweetcorn and Mr Badger

Started by Beetroot Queen on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post June 15, 2014, 12:31
by Beetroot Queen
xx
Badger problem

Started by paramac52 on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post August 07, 2019, 16:47
by Hortic
xx
Badger proofing my plot

Started by 1jim on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post March 03, 2013, 16:57
by blackberryjam

Page created in 0.275 seconds with 28 queries.