Poor Germination ?

• 15 Replies

stompy

Poor Germination ?
« on: May 10, 2007, 22:48 »
Hi there again guys, :)

Has anyone had any problems with germination this year, under glass or in the open.

My beets havn't shown in my raised bed, and i sowed a large tray 16"x10", of lettuce and several smaller pots of chillies and peppers amongst other things, in the greenhouse and all i got was about 3 lettuce. :cry:

It's only my second year and i didn't know if it was just me or a more sinister nationwide thing ? :twisted:

noshed

Poor Germination ?
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2007, 00:17 »
It's probably you...
All I've found is that spinach and lettuce don't like heat.
Are they damping off?
Self-sufficient in rasberries and bindweed. Slug pellets can be handy.

charliesmum

Poor Germination ?
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2007, 06:35 »
This is my first year of growing my own, and I have had really good germination and all I have used are 19p packets of seeds from Netto

Bagpuss

• Experienced Member
Poor Germination ?
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2007, 07:55 »
I only got four chillies and peppers out of two packets of seeds and I started them in a heated propogator, so whatever youu're doing wrong I must be too. I tried some more in the greenhouse and they haven't budged either.
(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")

beansticks

Poor Germination ?
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2007, 07:57 »
I have struggled with both cabbage and sprouts,however i think i may have sown them too deep 1st time ,my second sowings much shallower have been more successful.

flatcap

• Experienced Member
Poor Germination ?
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2007, 08:03 »
weve had problems with peppers tomotoes and cucumbers all started off in the greenhouse ,thought it was due to it been our 1st year but other peeps on site have had the same problem :(

WG.

Poor Germination ?
« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2007, 08:40 »
Lots of folks have been having problems outdoors with carrot and especially with parsnip.  Dry weather in April, I reckon

Annie

Poor Germination ?
« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2007, 10:02 »
I`ve had to resow calibrese,some peppers and tomatoes(never had that problem before),sprouts,sweetcorn and would you believe it Marigolds and sweetpeas!The courgettes and Squash are either coming up quickly or very slowly with no sign of life from the butternut seeds.On a positive note the lettuce and parsley have germinated during the cool spell,lots of self sown parsley seedlings have come up and the beetroot and carrots are coming on well,the jurys out on the parsnips,can`t tell how many are`snips and which are weeds! :wink:

yummy

Poor Germination ?
« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2007, 21:17 »
First lot of runners barely came up. Beetroots don't look to good either.

Everything else seems ok though.

withnail

Poor Germination ?
« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2007, 22:48 »
the biggest problem ive had (inside) is with chilli's, but these are notorious for being shy to germinate .... no ?

outside, curiously my parsnips have been very easy to sprout.
To date most of my failures have been beetroot and carrots.... oh and some shallots

on the whole, for my 1st year growing anything, id say ive had a large dose of beginners luck

long may it continue  :D
chin chin

Redwellies

• Experienced Member
    • http://redwelliesandco.blogspot.com
Poor Germination ?
« Reply #10 on: May 14, 2007, 00:17 »
Quote from: "Annie"
I`ve had to resow calibrese,some peppers and tomatoes(never had that problem before),sprouts,sweetcorn and would you believe it Marigolds and sweetpeas!The courgettes and Squash are either coming up quickly or very slowly with no sign of life from the butternut seeds.On a positive note the lettuce and parsley have germinated during the cool spell,lots of self sown parsley seedlings have come up and the beetroot and carrots are coming on well,the jurys out on the parsnips,can`t tell how many are`snips and which are weeds! :wink:

Ive had the same problems with marigolds, and sweetpeas, very hit and miss, Have about 15 plants that have matured out of three packets of seeds.  Had no probs last year
My Blog  www.redwelliesandco.blogspot.com

A force to be reckoned with

ziggywigs

Poor Germination ?
« Reply #11 on: May 14, 2007, 00:53 »
swedes and turnip have shown after rain.  Not sure about the beetroot has germinated but have gaps....but then again i might have pulled up some when weeding.  

Have you checked your seed dates to make sure they're fresh.  Some seed doesn't last very long

If seed is fresh i suspect it's down to dry weather as mine have gone mad after rain....must get more in actually to keep it going.

ytyynycefn

• http://www.ytyynycefn.com/5.html
Poor Germination ?
« Reply #12 on: May 14, 2007, 09:06 »
My snips and carrots have been very shy - the scorzonera went a bit loopy loo, though!  Not sure about the beetroot, as the slugs had that before it had a chance  :twisted:

Peas and beans have come up OK, both in the GH and outdoors, all my brassica seedlings got munched.  Tomatoes all did OK in an unheated GH, my chillies (sown in late feb in a propagator in the GH) have mostly germinated by now.  And the squashes and cukes under glass are looking alright to me - still beginners luck, though!

bayleaf

• Experienced Member
Poor Germination ?
« Reply #13 on: May 14, 2007, 19:59 »
My parsnips have been bad, but carrots okay and no problems with other stuff. I find lettuce is a bit difficult - temperate and moisture have to be just right.

beerhunter

Re: Poor Germination ?
« Reply #14 on: May 14, 2007, 22:04 »
Quote from: "stompy"
Hi there again guys, :)

Has anyone had any problems with germination this year, under glass or in the open.

My beets havn't shown in my raised bed, and i sowed a large tray 16"x10", of lettuce and several smaller pots of chillies and peppers amongst other things, in the greenhouse and all i got was about 3 lettuce. :cry:

It's only my second year and i didn't know if it was just me or a more sinister nationwide thing ? :twisted:

Parsnips/carrots which I had sown a month ago haven't appeared... not one plant in either 12' row. Peas/broad beads where ok until bean/pea weevil found them... then the frame blew over last weekend too! Brussel sprouts haven't germinated either.. beetroot has germinated but looks like it has rust (I didn't think that was possible with seedlings!)... lettuce and radishes were doing really well until the wet weather started.. and the slugs attacked them.. oh and not sign of the spring onions either... and the bindweed and couch grass has been rampant in the past month too... can anyone else beat that :cry:

xx
sugarsnap, poor germination

Started by Bernard on Grow Your Own

15 Replies
Last post July 08, 2012, 10:29
by Bernard
xx
Poor cucumber germination

Started by samnorfolk on Grow Your Own

18 Replies
Last post May 20, 2013, 17:48
by Auntiemogs
xx
Poor germination rate.

Started by sharky on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post January 21, 2009, 15:33
by mumofstig
xx
Celery poor germination

Started by whippersnapper on Grow Your Own

13 Replies
Last post March 25, 2009, 20:45
by Stripey_cat

Page created in 0.382 seconds with 33 queries.