Trouble with seeds germinating

• 6 Replies

H0megr0wn

« on: April 09, 2007, 11:15 »
Hi all,

New to the site and new to growing veg too.  I just wanted some advice into growing peas/beans from seed.  I've planted up several trays in the greenhouse and nothing seems to be germinating.  I've dug a few seeds up and they just seem to have rotted.  I've tried several different varieties, i don't think i'm over watering them, i'm just keeping the soil moist with a fine spray mister.  

Regards,

Homegrown :-)
organic, till the slugs and bugs get the better of me.

mercury

« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2007, 11:42 »
Hi homegrown, personaly, i dont think its a good idea planting peas and beans in trays, peas are best planted straight into the ground, and beans in individual pots two or three to a pot and just keep the strongest out of them, if were talking about broad beans, they're best planted straight in the soil to,was it cold when you planted them? as seeds wont germinate in cold soil. :)

WG.

« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2007, 12:09 »
Hi H0megr0wn and welcome to the site.  I get best results by germinating peas and beans on damp kitchen towels in a warm room.   As soon as the first shoot emerges, I plant them straight outdoors.  Ditto for sweet peas.

Remember the first shoot is a root so don't strive to make this point upwards!  :)

Once the weather warms up, you can direct drill successional sowings as mercury suggests.

H0megr0wn

« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2007, 13:25 »
Thanks for the replies.  I've planted some peas straight into the ground, but i have lots of mice in the garden and i'm worried that they will all get eaten before they have a chance to grow.   I'll try the kitchen towel method, i remember doing that for my dad when i was much younger.  Thanks all

Allotment Angel

« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2007, 14:11 »
Hi! For peas I was told to soak them first and that seems to work for us.  However, can I use the kitchen towel method for sweetcorn?  I've planted 3 different varieties and only one seems to have germinated.  I remember last year there weren't many that germinated then either.

Allotment Angel

« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2007, 14:26 »
Hi! Sorry, I found the link about chitting sweetcorn in the diaries section.  Should have read further down the postings first!  Thought it was only potatoes that you chitted?  Anyway, I'm going to try the kitchen roll paper in a tupperware box and just one variety of sweetcorn (Don't want any wierd sweetcorn).

VickyR

« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2007, 13:26 »
Hi homegrown

We have meeces as well - usually putting a cut off plastic bottle over the seed/seedling is enough to put them off, but it may be that Sheffield mice are lazy and don't dig...

Another thing that seems to work is using the core of a bog roll for peas/beans to start them off - can then be planted straight out or taken off as you please - I think there have been other threads about bog rolls so forgive me if the advice is off (!) :D ...am only a beginner as well.

Good luck with it!

xx
Germinating seeds

Started by Sally127 on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post April 30, 2019, 12:26
by Auntiemogs
xx
Germinating seeds

Started by moggy on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post March 16, 2008, 09:29
by dugless
xx
Seeds not germinating this year !

Started by garddwr on Grow Your Own

26 Replies
Last post March 20, 2010, 15:13
by babycakes
xx
Germinating temperatures for seeds.

Started by Salmo on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post September 10, 2009, 13:19
by aelf

Page created in 0.344 seconds with 35 queries.