san marzano tomato

• 3 Replies

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
san marzano tomato
« on: May 24, 2009, 11:28 »
on my seed pkt it says that these are semi bush...... grows as bush but still needs support.
Tomato San Marzano (Plum) Classic, richly flavoured Italian plum tomato May also be grown in a tunnel or cool greenhouse. Semi-determinate.

However, on Seeds of Italy website it says they are
Classic Italian plum tomato used mainly for cooking as it has very little water inside, few seeds and is very meaty. Use for making Passata, cooking, sauces and passata. Indeterminate. Fruits typically of 70-100g each in

Anybody grown them either way............to give me some idea  :unsure:

gillie

Re: san marzano tomato
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2009, 12:42 »
I grow San Marzanos of one sort or another every year as indeterminates in my greenhouse ring culture beds.   I find they are leggier than other varieties and end up very tall.  They are always the first to complain, either wilting if I am late watering or going a bit blue if they feel chilly. This year I am growing San Marzano Redorta from Seeds of Italy which seem to be more tolerant.

I suppose you could leave some sideshoots so that they become somewhat bushy and less tall, but that would not fit into my bed system.  Because I have always found them a bit miffy I don't think I would grow them outside.

Cheers,

Gillie

Trillium

« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2009, 15:57 »
Pinch the tops when they're at the best height for you and let them leaf out and put out more fruiting spurs. They are supposedly the best tasting of the plum tomatoes which is why they're tolerated with their bad growth. In Italy they're grown outside only and behave much better in warmer, sunnier climates than the UK. I started quite a few seeds myself this year but the seedlings cooked under the fleece and most died off so I've replaced them with Roma VFs (against the various wilts).

Sharonx

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2009, 16:07 »
Hi,
I've got 70 plants in this year (10 less than last year)
We grow them every year outside to make our years supply of Passata.
They do grow quite tall and bush quite a bit, so nip out the side shoots and give them good supports. Although great for the sauce and cooking, we use them in tomatoe salads etc so a great all rounder.
 :)

xx
Tomato San Marzano

Started by Geordie on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post July 16, 2012, 10:43
by davesellars
xx
san marzano tomato, mutant?

Started by SUTTY1 on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post July 10, 2011, 00:33
by SUTTY1
xx
San Marzano Tomato - yellowing / deformed leaves developing

Started by ben on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post May 29, 2009, 12:05
by diggerjoe
xx
San Marzano

Started by cooperman on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post October 29, 2008, 14:27
by mumofstig

Page created in 0.312 seconds with 30 queries.