« Reply #15 on: March 27, 2009, 12:11 »
Darn it. :(
Cheese makes everything better.

corynsboy

• Experienced Member
    • http://growingyourownveg.blogspot.com/
Re: Purple sprouting Broccoli.
« Reply #16 on: March 27, 2009, 12:21 »
I have PSB and a regular green version.  My plants went in the plot around July last year (but were started earlier in pots at home) and it all started sprouting about three weeks ago.  It is really lovely stuff steamed and eaten with a light French dressing.  See pics on my blog.

It seems like a long time but by the time October comes along and the plot starts to really thin out you've still got the promise of the PSB to come.

You don't have to go nuts like I have.
http://growingyourownveg.blogspot.com/2009/03/purple-sprouting-majestey.html

Just plant a couple and see if you don't become a convert!
Corynsboy's Blog

What's the difference between a good farmer and a bad farmer?  About a week.

azubah

• www.Godsaves.co.uk
« Reply #17 on: March 27, 2009, 19:35 »
Warning to all you purple sprouting broccoli lovers...I sowed mine in March last year thinking that I would get huge plants for this spring, but it sprouted in September last year and was worn out by October. I had to dig it all up so I have none now. I really love it and am missing it.

Noah'strolly

• Experienced Member
« Reply #18 on: March 27, 2009, 19:54 »
My psb was sown last march and planted out in june. It haas just begun sprouting but its lovely stuff.
Unfortunately we got terrible winds on the plot this week and my psb is shoulder high. When I left on Wednesday one of them had blown down and I couldn't prop it up, goodness knows what I'll find at the weekend! :(

galen

• Experienced Member
« Reply #19 on: March 28, 2009, 07:50 »
We musn't forget we are talking about 2 different types of PSB here.

There is the traditional plant late spring and harvest next year (your Red Arrow, Rudolph, Redhead etc)and then there are the newer varities which don't need the winter cold period which you plant nowish and harvest Sep / Oct time (Bordeaux , Summer Purple etc)  :wacko: !
Paul, Andrew, Kevin, Galen - My parents got bored of normal names in the end!

celjaci

• Experienced Member
  • celjaci = Bosnian peasant!
« Reply #20 on: March 28, 2009, 08:51 »
For me the tradditional PSB is well worth the length of time it takes up space. 

For one thing it comes at a time when there is little else ( just the last of the leeks )

It's also high value - 99p/lb at our local greengrocer and one of those things which is best fresh picked - in the shops it soon looks limp and tired
Playing all the right notes but not necessarily in the right order!

argaric

« Reply #21 on: March 28, 2009, 08:56 »
I planted mine last June and it bolted in September. I cut it all back and it has been sprouting for a couple of weeks now.

Regards,
  Argaric

Paul Plots

« Reply #22 on: March 28, 2009, 10:24 »
My PSB is disappointing - last year needed a step ladder to reach the top (nearly) and a barrow to carry away the pickings. This year kneeling down to cut it and a very small bag for carting away.  :(  but it is certainly better then nothing....love it....but it wont go round all of the family  :(

Must plant earlier this year.... I think I was short of space at the time.  :wub:
Never keep your wish-bone where your back-bone ought to be.

Elcie

« Reply #23 on: March 28, 2009, 16:04 »
I am pleased to be getting anything of mine.  The pigeons and the caterpillars together have pretty much eaten all the leaves (netting next season!) but someone on here said leave them and they will still sprout in spring - they were right!  I have some small shoots that I can harvest soon.  To be honest, it is so expensive in the supermarkets that anything is a bonus.  They were in the first bed I ever planted at the allotment around July last year.  I would love to try it again next year.

Quetzal

• Experienced Member
« Reply #24 on: March 28, 2009, 16:32 »
how big should i let it grow before picking it?
last year was my first run at PSB, and it's just beginning to come into season, but it's still pretty small and growing pretty slowly. I'd say it was about the size of a 50p atm.

azubah

• www.Godsaves.co.uk
« Reply #25 on: March 28, 2009, 20:00 »
Argaric..why do you think your psb bolted in september?
 I thought that mine bolted because I sowed it too early.
I have grown it successfully for years but usually sow it in april.

nicchick

• Experienced Member
« Reply #26 on: March 28, 2009, 20:20 »
My lotty mate grows a perrenial white sprouting variety but he starts it fresh each year as he is worried about clubroot. I saw the seeds and did hover but resisted. However it could be useful if you've got a small space. Nic.

Swing Swang

« Reply #27 on: March 28, 2009, 20:39 »
Ice - I plant my PSB in pots then transplant (very deeply) into some of the beds left by my first earlies late June/July. So although they are growing for nearly a year they don't occupy the ground  for that long, and much of the time is spent overwinter when little else is going an anyway.

nicchick

• Experienced Member
« Reply #28 on: March 28, 2009, 20:45 »
Yes, John Seymour recommends using a nursery bed so you can get a good crop rotation. I'd forgotten about that! Nic.

galen

• Experienced Member
« Reply #29 on: March 28, 2009, 22:18 »
I've started to and for this year certainly will follow John's advice. I know it's on dealing with clubroot but you should have some decent plants before they are left to the full force of what nature has to throw at them:

"Start your brassicas off in modules using bought in composts to which a small amount of lime has been added and pot up to 3" and then at least 5" pots before planting out. This allows the plant to develop a good root system prior to infection.

Take the pH up to 7.5 or even as high as 8.5 by adding lime. Before planting, dig a hole at least 30cm deep and in diameter and then dust with lime to whiten the soil in the hole. Fill the hole with bought in multi-purpose compost and then plant in this."

(http://www.allotment-garden.org/vegetable/brassicas/Plasmodiophora-brassicae-club-root.php)

I'm at the 3" pot stage and all looking well.  :)

xx
Purple Sprouting Broccoli - sprouting already - too soon?

Started by ptarmigan on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post August 18, 2013, 10:45
by devonbarmygardener
xx
My purple sprouting broccoli isn't sprouting

Started by Vagabond on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post September 01, 2020, 10:11
by Grubbypaws
xx
sad purple sprouting broccoli. Help please

Started by coldfingers on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post October 20, 2010, 09:35
by DD.
xx
purple sprouting broccoli help

Started by themoog on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post July 31, 2010, 19:55
by sunshineband

Page created in 0.329 seconds with 32 queries.