plants for poor soil?

• 7 Replies

sladefungus

plants for poor soil?
« on: March 18, 2007, 19:12 »
after much digging this past month its become apparant that one end of the main large bed is very poor.  it was full of stones and litter aswell as the ubiquitous mare's tail networks then only 10 inches down it turns into a really tough orange clay.  If i dont get time to really sift it through for stones etc after doing the rest of the digging i plan to use it as a 'bin' for any spare seedlings or seedlings ive thinned out etc and just see how well they do as an experiment.  Is this a good idea or should i just put plants in there that dont mind a poor soil.  potatoes to break the soil up?  beans to leave their nitrogen nodules?
Time is natures way of stopping everything happening at once

WG.

plants for poor soil?
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2007, 19:18 »
Have you got access to muck or compost SF?  In large amounts??

Aidy

• Location: Born n bred Lancastrian living in tropical Blackpool
    • Aidy Neal Photography
plants for poor soil?
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2007, 19:36 »
SF, you can put in Swiss Chard, this stuff grows in any soil, if you take mine last year, we have very sandy soil and last years sunny spell dried it down to about 6 inches, it was dust, but the chard kept on growing and kept giving us plenty of leaves to eat, because it also grows quite high it will compete with the horstail.
Punk isn't dead...it's underground where it belongs. If it comes to the surface it's no longer punk...it's Green Day!

sladefungus

plants for poor soil?
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2007, 19:45 »
no i dont have access to compost or muck.  ive been hoping to bump into other allotmenteers at the site to get leads on where to get muck but theres never anyone there when i am.

WG.

plants for poor soil?
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2007, 20:01 »
Quote from: "sladefungus"
no i dont have access to compost or muck

Okay, I agree with the beans but don't reckon that tatties are a good idea.  First year I've grown chard so can't comment on Aidy's recommendation.  I've grown perpetual spinach which is prone to run to seed when moisture-stressed.

If you miss out the tatties then it would be a good chance to sling on lots of lime (the mares tail indicating acid conditions?).

How about herbs?  Most of the Mediterranean ones actually like stony soils.  Rosemary, thyme, sage.

Either that or try the "big veg" approach that I've described elsewhere ... dig out and improve a pocket of soil to take a big winter cabbage or summat like that.

WG.

plants for poor soil?
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2007, 20:05 »
Or a comfrey patch?   Comfrey needs good feeding but this can be added later in the form of surface mulch.

sladefungus

plants for poor soil?
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2007, 20:17 »
cheers for the tips
yeah i think comfrey is a good idea.  is it poking through yet?  theres some stuff around the edges of the allotment land that looks like it could be comfrey but not totally sure till it grows a bit more.  could nick some of that.
we had an official env dept assay of the site and i read it and my plot has a ph of about 6.5 so maybe not urgently in need of liming but that is also an idea.

WG.

plants for poor soil?
« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2007, 20:20 »
Yes, comfrey should be well through by now.  Mine is and I am 150 miles north of you, and almost 600ft higher.

xx
Oh no! my poor soil :(

Started by aelf on Grow Your Own

13 Replies
Last post April 09, 2013, 16:35
by compostqueen
xx
poor soil condition

Started by emotion-2003 on Grow Your Own

18 Replies
Last post January 26, 2012, 18:40
by emotion-2003
xx
Poor soil in Polytunnel

Started by groweate on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post February 03, 2020, 19:04
by TonyB.
xx
Poor soil at new house

Started by jonewer on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post August 05, 2010, 23:33
by Salmo

Page created in 0.347 seconds with 34 queries.