Raspberrys

• 11 Replies

Waynestrout

Raspberrys
« on: March 17, 2007, 19:47 »
I recently purchased 20 raspberry canes, 10 summer fruits (for next year) and 10  autumn canes 9hopefully for this year

They're in the same bags and I've forgotten which is which. One set are thicker than the others, which is the only difference I can spot - is this any way to indicate which are summenr, which are autumn?

If not, is there another way to tell?

I was hoping to plant them tomorrow and I don't know which to tie up and which not

Any ideas? - Thanks

WAYNESTROUT
....and the leaves turn from red to brown....

muntjac

Raspberrys
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2007, 19:51 »
plant them all using the thick stemmed first as i would think these are the autumn ones . tie all of them up as i do it wont hurt
still alive /............

Waynestrout

Raspberrys
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2007, 19:54 »
Cheers for the advise Muntjac. i was looking at them tonight after returning from a very successful days digging and just scratching my head at my own inability to remember - must be getting old!!

Thanks

Dan

• Experienced Member
Raspberrys
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2007, 20:59 »
Ok as if i wasnt confused enough about my own rasperberries ( summer or autumn ones?, Cut to ground level or leave alone, How far spacing between each, 3 wires or two parallel)...then you throw in a new one? "Tying them up"??,....wahhhh...how ? why? where?

richyrich7

• Paper Potter
    • My home business Egg box labels and more
Raspberrys
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2007, 21:11 »
Quote from: "Dan"
Ok as if i wasnt confused enough about my own rasperberries ( summer or autumn ones?, Cut to ground level or leave alone, How far spacing between each, 3 wires or two parallel)...then you throw in a new one? "Tying them up"??,....wahhhh...how ? why? where?

Stops em blowing over in the wind usually done on a post and wire principal
3 wires 18" apart, or something like that, bend the tips over if you wish and train along top wire.
He who asks is a fool for five minutes, but he who does not ask remains a fool forever.

muntjac

Raspberrys
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2007, 21:12 »
Quote from: "richyrich7"
Quote from: "Dan"

Stops em blowing over in the wind usually done on a post and wire principal
3 wires 18" apart, or something like that, bend the tips over if you wish and train along top wire.

absolutly make the wires 12 ft long or more if ya can :wink:

Dan

• Experienced Member
Raspberrys
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2007, 22:32 »
ah phew so its waht i already knew about the post and wires deal.

12ft long?...what if you only have 2 canes or 30 canes?...lol...

Im not sure how long my stretch is but its over 12ft so no problem just not sure i have the space in it for all my canes spaced as some of the books say ?

muntjac

Raspberrys
« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2007, 22:35 »
well then .make it as long as you can then maybe u will get loads  berries
what books say is only a guide . as is what advice i give ,mine are 2 in a 12 ft wire  and i trained em along the wire

Dan

• Experienced Member
Raspberrys
« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2007, 22:42 »
Ok thanks mate.

I prefer the look of them trained along the wire to them just bobbing about upright so i will go with that approach i think

loubylou29

• Experienced Member
Raspberrys
« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2007, 07:26 »
OK so spell it out for me... I am so very new!
I have to put in 2 big wooden posts at either end of my raspberry canes, and get a heavy gauge wire and make loops end to end around the plants right?

Then in the summer tie the plants to the wires? I guess I'll ask these thing as as they come up eh?

Do I do the same for my tayberries (that have been moved now Munty.x) so I have 3 tays and 6 rasps, Use the same system of wires, just don't prune in the same way is that right??

Thankyou for your help.

Lucy

Bobby T

Raspberrys
« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2007, 07:56 »
Imagine a plain wire fence.Your rasps. will naturally grow staight up.Each time they pass a wire tie them loosely to it with soft string.If they get well above the top wire some turn them at right angles and run them along that wire.Suckers (small plants) will come up well away from the main row,just lift them in Autumn and replant along the row.Hope this helps.   Bob

muntjac

Raspberrys
« Reply #11 on: March 18, 2007, 11:57 »
tay are set to grow on wires and stay there unless they have a diseased  leader. i have some on thick trellis and tie them back with flower arranging wire :wink:

xx
Help with Raspberrys

Started by Glyn on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post June 13, 2009, 21:17
by Trillium
xx
Raspberrys

Started by supervegman on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post July 16, 2010, 17:01
by Goosegirl
xx
Rhubarb and Raspberrys

Started by buckstar555 on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post March 23, 2009, 21:45
by buckstar555
xx
preparing a bed for raspberrys

Started by coley barn coops on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post September 04, 2011, 09:44
by Nobbie

Page created in 0.364 seconds with 34 queries.