better use of space?

• 3 Replies

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
better use of space?
« on: February 09, 2009, 11:57 »
Have decided to try spuds this year have 5 red duke of york, 5 charlotte and 5 vivaldi.
Not got a lot of space...only four 4ftx12ft beds. Was wondering if i should put the later growing variety, the vivaldi i believe, into pots as i know i can get another crop in the bed after the earlies but too late after this one? Please someone give us a clue cos i aint really got one :blink: Just can't get me head round it today...dunno why :wacko:
and no i wasn't on the vino last night.....how could you think such a thing :tongue2:

JulieP

• Experienced Member
Re: better use of space?
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2009, 14:28 »
Hi

I used sacks last year, just put 2 into each bag, 1/4 filled, then as they appeared just earthed up and rolled the bag up as I went, had a quite a good yeald. :)
I Love My Lottie, My own little hideaway and Gym:)

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2009, 15:27 »
I've got some big buckets, but if I use them all, I just use the empty bags that had my seed compost in, like JulieP put some compost or manure in the bottom, plant a spud and cover it, then earth up as it grows like you do in the garden!  Also, you don't get as many nasties in the soil that way. 

I do it if I run out of room.  I've even grown them in the polytunnel before now.

woodburner

« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2009, 10:41 »
They will still need space even if they are in pots. Really your growing area is the four beds plus whatever space you have for pots.

I'd be inclined to fill a bed with the tatties, and if there's any left over put them into pots. If you have enough space for more pots, I'd try carrots in them, but that's because I have stony soil and the later carrots got attacked by the dreaded fly. Tomatoes do well in pots too.
I demand the right to buy seed of varieties that are not "distinct, uniform and stable".

xx
Need space!!

Started by agapanthus on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post June 02, 2007, 09:59
by agapanthus
xx
Could I use this space better?

Started by Stratts on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post April 11, 2012, 02:42
by Trillium
xx
What to do with the space I have???

Started by Casey76 on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post June 08, 2009, 22:44
by Yorkie
clip
Best use of space

Started by lordthanatos on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post February 05, 2016, 16:22
by 3759allen

Page created in 0.426 seconds with 36 queries.