Overwintering broadbeans

• 5 Replies

ljshguighuf

Overwintering broadbeans
« on: October 18, 2021, 14:22 »
Hi all,

I'm still waiting for a plot so I'm making do with containers for now. I'm going to have a go at overwintering some broad beans. I've bought some Broad Bean 'The Sutton', which is a dwarf variety. I have some 10l buckets that are 8 inches in diameter and 12 inches tall. Will these be tall enough for the roots? Also, how many seeds do you recommend per bucket? Also to chit or not to chit?

snowdrops

Re: Overwintering broadbeans
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2021, 15:37 »
Not sure if The Sutton are recommended for over wintering, it’s usually Aqua Claudia, but if they are I normally space broad beans about 9inches apart but plant 2 at each station, but in a pot in good, ideal conditions you could get away with a tad closer. 12in deep will be fine it’s the diameter that might be the issue , perhaps 3 x 2 seeds per plot maybe  :unsure:
A woman's place is in her garden.

See my diary pages here
and add a comment here

bobbyt

• Experienced Member
  • Still Learning !
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2021, 12:53 »
I've just planted 'The Sutton ' broad beans, says on the pack that they can be planted Autumn so hopefully ok. Haven't tried them before, but thought I'd give them a go, as I ran out and couldn't get any more 'Aquadulce', my usual overwinter variety, so now have 2 rows of each.

Wouldn't have thought you could put more than 2 or even 1 per bucket. Could be wrong but mine are spaced on allotment at 20cm (8"). Even at 15cm (6"), which you could get away with, might be pushing it a bit.

ljshguighuf

« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2021, 14:08 »
Thanks for the replies. I chose 'The Sutton' because they are more suited to containers and apparently they can be overwintered. I sowed them before I read your replies so may have overdone it with 5 seeds in each pot, but we shall see. If nothing else I will learn a lesson.

sebsands

« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2021, 22:37 »
I`ve sown broad beens  4 1/2 to 5" apart and got perfectly good crops. Now plant about 6" so I can get a hoe between them.

Grubbypaws

« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2021, 11:17 »
It is my first time overwintering broad beans and I have also gone for The Sutton to grow on in containers. Two questions that I hope someone can help me with. How big should they be to survive being planted outside in the winter and how much protection do they need from frost and snow?

xx
Broadbeans

Started by andyww2013 on Grow Your Own

12 Replies
Last post January 23, 2019, 12:51
by Jeebus
xx
Broadbeans

Started by plopleuk on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post April 22, 2011, 11:44
by plopleuk
xx
broadbeans

Started by kiowa on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post September 08, 2007, 10:23
by ACatCalledElvis
xx
Broadbeans

Started by Eblana on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post June 20, 2013, 14:54
by barley

Page created in 0.318 seconds with 41 queries.