What are my potatoes doing?

• 8 Replies

whaleroad

What are my potatoes doing?
« on: May 06, 2021, 19:19 »
Hello - I planted seed potatoes on Sunday. We've had lots of sunshine and two bouts of heavy rain since. When I checked on the plot this evening I can see two chits have grown and poked up through the soil at one point.
This isn't what I was expecting the next stage to be. I thought I'd get some green leafy shoots first - and definitely not this quickly. What do I do? Cover them with more soil? Are they okay?

Thank you in advance. I am a total novice btw. Never grown anything before, as you can probably tell.

snowdrops

Re: What are my potatoes doing?
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2021, 19:55 »
Sounds like the rain has washed the soil away to reveal the chits, just recover with more soil & perhaps a little extra to be on the save side, but it is those chits which will develop into your green leafy shoots, that will need protecting from the frosts
A woman's place is in her garden.

See my diary pages here
and add a comment here

afcb

« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2021, 13:40 »
I put my first earlies in on Good Friday and havenít seen any of them yet, Iím beginning to think they wonít come up. Itís been cold here in West Yorkshire so maybe that is affecting them?

Nobbie

« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2021, 14:36 »
I put my first earlies in on Good Friday and havenít seen any of them yet, Iím beginning to think they wonít come up. Itís been cold here in West Yorkshire so maybe that is affecting them?

Mine are only just up, and I planted them very shallow. I expect the soil is still fairly cool a little deeper, so they may be taking their time, but should show soon.

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2021, 15:34 »
Planted mine 6 weeks ago a at trowel's depth, only just showing now.

Last year they were up in 4 weeks.

The cold conditions are the main cause of course, but I'm not complaining because it means I haven't had to protect them against the frosts (yet!  :wacko:)
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

al78

« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2021, 00:56 »

Mine are only just up, and I planted them very shallow. I expect the soil is still fairly cool a little deeper, so they may be taking their time, but should show soon.

Mine are still a no-show, I planted then the weekend before Good Friday, i.e. during the (very) brief warm spell at the end of March. If they are not visible tomorrow I will have a furtle with a trowel to check they haven't just rotted, although I can't see why they would given April was very dry and potatoes missed when harevesting make it through the winter underground before popping up where you don't want them.

al78

« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2021, 20:00 »
Potatoes are now up, 3-4 weeks later than normal given when I planted them. Still, better late than never.

afcb

« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2021, 20:59 »
5 have come through today. 72 to go 👍

bobbyt

• Experienced Member
  • Still Learning !
« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2021, 16:57 »
Planted all of mine (FE, SE and Mains) 29 March in trenches - all came through, and all earthed up now, luckily no sign of frosts here at all.

xx
Sweet potatoes and regular potatoes

Started by Lady Rosemary on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post March 05, 2013, 20:10
by Lady Rosemary
xx
early potatoes later potatoes

Started by Anton on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post March 25, 2012, 13:03
by mumofstig
xx
where are the potatoes

Started by caro810 on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post June 10, 2013, 10:54
by Sue33
xx
Potatoes

Started by Beejay on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post February 10, 2009, 09:10
by Beejay

Page created in 0.302 seconds with 41 queries.