Germinating seeds

• 11 Replies

moggy

• Experienced Member
    • http://www.chilliupnorth.co.uk/
Germinating seeds
« on: January 17, 2008, 20:15 »
hi everyone, ive always germinated my chilli/tomato/lettuce/courgette seeds in a home made propogator and i was just wondering if it was ok to do the same for things like carrots, beetroot and other outdoors veg?

cheers
Andy
It's Chilli up North.

Sally A

Germinating seeds
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2008, 20:19 »
Just moved you to grow your own (you're my first ever move :) )

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
Germinating seeds
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2008, 20:23 »
I know it's a matter of choice, but I wouldn't. I get good enough germination with seed sown straight into the soil & also I would soon run out of space if I germinated everything in propagators!
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

Fenland Girl

• Experienced Member
Germinating seeds
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2008, 20:35 »
I didn't have much luck with brassicas germinating outside last year for some reason, so I am going to try them in modules in my mini greenhouse this year. Why not try some in the propogator and some outside and see which do best?

sweet nasturtium

Germinating seeds
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2008, 20:40 »
Follow the instructions on the seed packet - it will tell you whether you can sow indoors / outdoors.  Root veg like carrots, parsnips and beetroot are better sown in situ.

Last year I propagated indoors:
Fennel
Celeriac
Courgette
Pumpkin
Melon
Tomato
Pepper
Chilli
Parsley
Basil
Sweetcorn
Beans
Peas

Outdoors:
Onions
Leeks

Outdoors in situ:
Carrots
Parsnips
Beetroots
Swede

Peas and beans can be planted well in situ I think but ask the experts about that!

Good luck :D

gobs

Germinating seeds
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2008, 20:42 »
Quote from: "Fenland Girl"
I didn't have much luck with brassicas germinating outside last year for some reason, so I am going to try them in modules in my mini greenhouse this year. Why not try some in the propogator and some outside and see which do best?

In the ground, you mean? Slugs ate them by any chance?

'cos they are very hardy stuff, if anything, they could save you green house space, try a cold frame, maybe?
"Words... I know exactly what words I'm wanting to say, but somehow or other they is always getting squiff-squiddled around." R Dahl

moggy

• Experienced Member
    • http://www.chilliupnorth.co.uk/
Germinating seeds
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2008, 20:48 »
cheers guys, as it happens as well as the greenhouse i have a cold frame ...well half a one as the other half is full of strawberries, so i think ill have to do a bit of experimenting.

im also quite fortunate that we have a little conservatory too so hopefully i can leave some plants in there until we move in.

mashauk

Germinating seeds
« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2008, 20:48 »
I thought you weren't supposed to move carrots anyway?

Fenland Girl

• Experienced Member
Germinating seeds
« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2008, 20:55 »
Quote from: "gobs"

In the ground, you mean? Slugs ate them by any chance?

'cos they are very hardy stuff, if anything, they could save you green house space, try a cold frame, maybe?

Could have been slugs but I literally never saw anything come up at all - calabrese, purple sprouting, swedes and brussels all failed to appear and I ended up buying in plants. I re-sowed the swedes and they came up fine second time around  :? .  

OH had great plans for a cold frame using an old shower door. The flipping thing was cluttering up the shed for about a year until he finally got round to making it...then he dropped it and it shattered into a million pieces  :(  :lol: .

Rob the rake

Germinating seeds
« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2008, 08:50 »
Moggy, if your soil's as heavy as mine you'll be better off starting everything in modules save the carrots and parsnips.

I dig a couple of bags of sharp sand into the roots part of the rotation to loosen up the soil, they really struggle without it. It may be easier to grow them in containers though, I get great results by using plastic dustbins filled with a mix of sand and soil.
A calloused palm and dirty fingernails precede a Green Thumb.

paintedlady

Germinating seeds
« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2008, 09:26 »
Most of my outdoor sowing last year did not appear, and I sowed the carrots, parsnip, swede and beetroot in peat pots.  Having said that, I only sowed about a dozen of each (2 or 3 seeds per pot, pinched out the weaker 2).  On a large scale it would be too expensive but as a result, I got a crop and absolutely nothing wrong with them.  I've been collecting loo rolls for a while now, so I'll be trying it that way again, as well as attempt another outdoor sowing!
Failure is only a temporary change in direction to set you straight for your next success.
Only those who dare to fail greatly can ever achieve greatly.

dugless

Germinating seeds
« Reply #11 on: March 16, 2008, 09:29 »
Quote from: "paintedlady"
Most of my outdoor sowing last year did not appear, and I sowed the carrots, parsnip, swede and beetroot in peat pots.  Having said that, I only sowed about a dozen of each (2 or 3 seeds per pot, pinched out the weaker 2).  On a large scale it would be too expensive but as a result, I got a crop and absolutely nothing wrong with them.  I've been collecting loo rolls for a while now, so I'll be trying it that way again, as well as attempt another outdoor sowing!

I have experimented with starting carrots in ex-toilet rolls in the green house. I made a box with holes in the bottom germination was exelent . then I just dug a hole and planted them out  :lol: they did not even know they had been moved.
Time is more precious than Gold
Spend it Wisely

xx
Germinating seeds

Started by Sally127 on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post April 30, 2019, 12:26
by Auntiemogs
xx
germinating seeds question

Started by azubah on Grow Your Own

16 Replies
Last post April 12, 2013, 19:26
by azubah
xx
Trouble with seeds germinating

Started by H0megr0wn on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post April 10, 2007, 13:26
by VickyR
xx
Germinating parsnip seeds

Started by supervegman on Grow Your Own

12 Replies
Last post January 22, 2011, 18:04
by JayG

Page created in 0.337 seconds with 35 queries.