What to do about waterlogging...

• 22 Replies

rawrecruit

• Experienced Member
What to do about waterlogging...
« on: March 29, 2013, 16:50 »
I'm sure lots of people have the same problem this year, but as I'm new to 'allotmenting' I thought I'd get some advice! Basically my plot is a bit uneven and the lower bits get very waterlogged. I can't afford to fill the dips with bags and bags of compost, can anyone suggest any solutions?

parsley

• Experienced Member
Re: What to do about waterlogging...
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2013, 16:55 »
My plots on a slope and I get boggy areas down the bottom. I've shovelled loads of manure in one bit (our site gets it for free from a local farm) to see if it helps and will plant bog loving plants in the other bit.
Motherhood - when being spontaneous takes 2 and a half days of careful planning

rawrecruit

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2013, 17:01 »
do you have to wait for the manure to mature before planting on it? I was wondering whether we could just lift the top layer of soil and stick a manure/woodchip mix underneath then replace the top soil. Maybe that's a bad idea, I just don't know! oh, and the added incentive for sorting out the waterlogging is to reduce the mud magnetism for our 2 year old!

Headgardener22

« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2013, 17:01 »
My plot is waterlogged at the moment (literally there's a puddle just below the surface) but usually its dry as a bone. The weather is against us at the moment. I suggest you wait and see what its like in a few weeks.

Rexmundi

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2013, 17:09 »
I have the same sort of problem, one end of my vegetable patch pools a bit during wet weather. I have decided to go for raised beds to workaround.

Another option could be to dig a sump in the corner where the problem is most severe and fill it with pea gravel.
Scotland, 95% pure Scottish since 08/05/2015

rawrecruit

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2013, 17:14 »
hi rexmundi, what is a sump and what is pea gravel?!

the situation is not helped because the person who had the allotment before me seems to have 'planted' plastic a few inches below the surface in the areas where there is most water... why? I think I've got most of it out but its hard to tell.

parsley

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2013, 17:15 »
I was told by one of the older guys there to put the manure on the surface and use the area for potatoes so will give at a go. Like you it's my first year so might be grateful for that little patch of moisture if summer ever graces us with her presence! (and my little boy is 1 and could get filthy in a sterile room lol)

rawrecruit

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2013, 17:27 »
well I reckon if we newbies stick with it  this year we'll feel pretty seasoned by the end of it... personally anything I manage to grow will be a major achievement... especially as i have a newborn too!

gavinjconway

• My Allotment Progress Website
« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2013, 18:27 »
I'm sure lots of people have the same problem this year, but as I'm new to 'allotmenting' I thought I'd get some advice! Basically my plot is a bit uneven and the lower bits get very waterlogged. I can't afford to fill the dips with bags and bags of compost, can anyone suggest any solutions?

You are not alone there - It will get better over time by adding mulches, leaves, manures etc it will cope better.. and maybe a bit of sunshine will help!!
Now a member of the 10 Ton club.... 2013  harvested 588 Kg from 165 sq mt..

Plot 6B

• NRAA Website
« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2013, 18:31 »
Why not site your compost bins on the lower areas for now. That's what I did on one of mine and it's also where I put the shed.
The fruits of success come from hard work!
A.K.A. Nige2plots

Trillium

« Reply #10 on: March 29, 2013, 19:24 »
You don't have to do all your growing areas in raised beds, just the problem spots. Even 6" would help a lot to keep those crops dry. As for filling them, scrape up the 'path' soil and use that along with anything you have that will make the soil more spongy.

Rexmundi

• Experienced Member
« Reply #11 on: March 29, 2013, 20:50 »
hi rexmundi, what is a sump and what is pea gravel?!

Hi, a 'sump' is basically a pit that can be dug at the lowest level of your allotment to attract water to it. It can be any size but the bigger the better I would say.

'Pea gravel' is small rounded stones which is used in field drainage systems as water can easily pass over and through it. The idea is that the pea gravel stops the sump (or pit) you have dug from becoming back filled with soil.

« Last Edit: March 29, 2013, 22:57 by Rexmundi »

parsley

• Experienced Member
« Reply #12 on: March 30, 2013, 06:19 »
well I reckon if we newbies stick with it  this year we'll feel pretty seasoned by the end of it... personally anything I manage to grow will be a major achievement... especially as i have a newborn too!

Sounds like you are already good at growing!  :) I think getting to know the ground is the biggest hurdle, if we can do that we'll have a fab year next year and there's always over wintering crops to consider  ;)

Totty

« Reply #13 on: March 30, 2013, 08:06 »
There is no quick fix remedy for this if you are digging organic matter in. It will take a few years for the worms etc to mix everything deeply enough to eradicate the problem. As stated before, you could dig a trench down one side leading to a sump filled with gravel.

Totty

rawrecruit

• Experienced Member
« Reply #14 on: March 30, 2013, 13:03 »
all good ideas thanks, I'll go have a look at it this week if the rain/snow holds off!

question
How do i stop waterlogging?

Started by shelley bobs on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post June 07, 2012, 22:14
by Yorkie
xx
Drainage/waterlogging

Started by Eightball on Grow Your Own

13 Replies
Last post October 30, 2012, 09:44
by crh75
xx
Waterlogging - An Opportunity?

Started by all0tment on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post February 28, 2011, 13:23
by savbo

Page created in 0.336 seconds with 38 queries.