Allotment evictions

• 9 Replies

DB52

Allotment evictions
« on: March 12, 2022, 12:40 »
Hello I am new to the site.
I am a plot holder in Suffolk and our landlord, town council is to issue all allotment holders who have held their plots for five years and over 12 months notice to quit to allow people on the waiting list to get an allotment. All new tenancies will be for a minimum five year period. There are about 18 allotments mostly half sized plots and a waiting list of 25. As you can imagine this move which has happened in the last week with no previous discussion or notice to plot holders has not gone down well as many have spent a lot of time, energy and money on turning derelict plots into productive areas only to lose them just as many are maturing. I am wondering if anyone else has heard of this happening elsewhere since the country.

AndyRVTR

Re: Allotment evictions
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2022, 13:53 »
Hi, welcome to the site... I've been on different council allotments for many a year and I've never, ever heard of anything like this! Your town council should create more allotment spaces, I'm sure there's something written somewhere (maybe I read it) that local authorities have to make sure there is sufficient land for people to grow food etc.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2022, 07:34 by AndyRVTR »

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2022, 14:16 »
This seems completely out of order to me.  I don’t think a long waiting list is good grounds for eviction, they need to provide more allotments. 

I would advise you to contact the NSALG  https://www.nsalg.org.uk/allotment-info/

John’s info page  https://www.allotment-garden.org/allotment-information/allotments-the-law/

wighty

« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2022, 20:45 »
I don't have an allotment any more, gave it up about five years ago but this to me  sounds  totally wrong.  Just because you've been there for a while and have done the work why should someone else then come in and take it over.

Hampshire Hog

« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2022, 16:55 »
That’s completely ridiculous!!
The normal logic is that you aren’t working your plot, being ejected is a bad mark.
Sounds totally wrong to me. I have asparagus on my plot they only started producing properly after 5 years!!! As suggested above contact the NSALG for advice. If no joy from them get yourself an appealing young relative to go down and help you on the plot whilst a local journalist happens to come by and interview you both about how surprised you are at the ejection.
Keep digging

jaydig

« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2022, 17:09 »
To quote the law according to the Allotments Act:  "It is the duty of EVERY allotments authority, where they are of the opinion that there is a demand for allotments in their area, to provide a sufficient number of them, and then to let them to persons resident in the area. If the duty is not carried out, an interested person (a prospective tenant for instance) would be able to apply for a judicial review and seek a mandatory order in accordance with Part 55 of the CPR."
Further to this, the Act states that"The authority MUST take into consideration any representation in writing made to them by any six registered parliamentary electors or council tax payers resident in the area".
So, your council is obliged, by law, to provide sufficient allotment plots to satisfy demand.
The valid reasons a council may give existing tenants notice to quit are many and varied, but they are absolutely NOT allowed to terminate an existing tenant in order to install another one. The only exception to this is if said existing tenant has persistently broken site rules or who has not paid their due rents.

A book titled "The Law of Allotments" by Paul Clayden has proved very useful on the past on our site, and I would suggest it would be worth your investing in a copy if it is still in print, or perhaps another such book which lays out the Allotment Act in detail.

Your council cannot simply do as it pleases.

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2022, 17:15 »
Great advice, Jaydig.

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty

snowdrops

« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2022, 20:01 »
Hope the media and interest helps your case, truly disgusting council behaviour, nobody is going to want a plot for just 5 years...call me cynical or is that what’s really behind it all, nobody wants a plot, ooh look we can sell it off!!
A woman's place is in her garden.

See my diary pages here
and add a comment here

Subversive_plot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2022, 09:12 »
DB52, the eviction plan is awful. Hard work is being "rewarded" by getting the boot!  >:(

As others have said, stand up for your rights, make a fuss, and I hope you succeed.
"Somewhere between right and wrong, there is a garden. I will meet you there."~ Rumi

xx
new to me allotment

Started by Debz on Chatting on the Plot

3 Replies
Last post April 06, 2018, 19:39
by snowdrops
xx
New allotment t&cs

Started by mumofstig on Chatting on the Plot

22 Replies
Last post January 09, 2020, 11:42
by mumofstig
xx
allotment fire

Started by rowlandwells on Chatting on the Plot

14 Replies
Last post November 18, 2021, 01:18
by Subversive_plot
xx
Allotment committees

Started by snow white on Chatting on the Plot

3 Replies
Last post September 14, 2019, 16:35
by Christine

Page created in 0.829 seconds with 49 queries.