blackcurrants

• 16 Replies

Grubbypaws

blackcurrants
« on: November 17, 2013, 09:04 »
I have some space in my garden which would be ideal for a blackcurrant bush, the question is which variety. I am in the peak district so frosts are common as is wind. The site is about as sheltered as my garden offers but everything is relative!

Any suggestions?

A gooseberry would be good too.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2013, 09:36 by DD. »

Goosegirl

Re: blackcurrants
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2013, 11:18 »
I have just the one bush called Ben Lomond. It always does well here despite the wind and the site is, like yours, about as sheltered as it can be. It is rarely damaged by frost and is a reliable and strong grower that crops late in the season with big fruits.
I work very hard so don't expect me to think as well.

compostqueen

« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2013, 11:27 »
I am in Derbyshire and have just planted another Ben Connan as I want more lovely blackcurrants. I have another variety, no idea what, and they fruit just beautifully. They do take a while to establish, so be very patient. Give them some space too, to allow them room to grow, and also so you can get round the pick  :)

Grubbypaws

« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2013, 11:41 »
Ben Connan seems to be well liked. I was also wondering about the newer Big Ben. Flavour is more important than size though so I am not sure...

Compost Queen, where did you get your bush from? T&M have them but I am always unsure about this company. Buckingham nurseries are highly recommended but the cost of postage is unbelievable! Crocus have the cheapest Big Ben by a long way but this just makes me suspicious  :unsure: Ken Muir seem to be the most highly recommended but everything is currently out of stock!

Goosegirl

« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2013, 12:30 »
You're right to be unsure about certain companies, and cheapest isn't always best but, in these times, it's more difficult to stand by that because of competition between firms. Go for the best flavoured one but maybe get Ken Muir to put you on their list?

RJR_38

• www.foodinmytum.com
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2013, 16:37 »
Ben Connan seems to be well liked. I was also wondering about the newer Big Ben. Flavour is more important than size though so I am not sure...

Compost Queen, where did you get your bush from? T&M have them but I am always unsure about this company. Buckingham nurseries are highly recommended but the cost of postage is unbelievable! Crocus have the cheapest Big Ben by a long way but this just makes me suspicious  :unsure: Ken Muir seem to be the most highly recommended but everything is currently out of stock!

I've just ordered 6 fruit bushes and 10 strawberry plants from Buckingham and they were unbelievably well packed with amazing protection for the bushes (far better than some other companies I ordered raspberry canes from). I ordered a lot so the postage seemed very reasonable - I guess if you are only buying one plant it might not be so cost effective. I can't remember the figures now but I know that the higher postage was counteracted by the slightly cheaper prices and so overall it came out slightly cheaper than lots of other companies

Maybe it would be worth seeing if others on the plot wanted to order some plants and do one big order?

Grubbypaws

« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2013, 15:37 »
RJR I took your advice and just increased my order from Buckingham; I cant wait  :D

I have yet to tell my husband how much more work he has to do to clearing ground for them!

RJR_38

• www.foodinmytum.com
« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2013, 17:09 »
I was very pleased with the size of most of mine as well. They were all in their new homes on Friday so hope I get a little bit of fruit next year!

solway cropper

« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2013, 23:26 »
A lot of soft fruit research is done in Scotland, hence the 'Ben' prefix on some of the blackcurrants. If they can thrive up there they should cope with Derbyshire!

If you can be patient they are very easy to propagate by layering or cuttings so if you buy just one or two plants you can easily end up with a fruit farm in a couple of years!

Grubbypaws

« Reply #9 on: November 23, 2013, 11:57 »
Help needed  :unsure:

I have planted my blackcurrant bushes as per instruction with the crown of the bush 5cm below soil level but am flumoxed by the pruning instructions. It says to 'cut back 2.5cm from the ground just above an outward facing bud'. What if there isn’t an outward facing bud  :(

Do I cut at 2.5 cm regardless or do I cut above the lowest outward facing bud regardless of height?

After staring at the plants willing buds to appear whilst scratching my head I have come inside to seek help  :wacko:

LilacSandy

« Reply #10 on: November 23, 2013, 12:06 »
Cut above the bud regardless of height.  Do not worry too much as blackcurrants are tough as old boots.  I started with one bush four years ago, the first year I planted up two cuttings from my prunings and this year I have eight bushes growing from red and blackcurrant bushes. 

If someone near you has a bush and is going to prune just ask for the prunings and stick them in a spare bit of ground, this time next year you will have some nice new bushes to transplant.  This applies to red currents, grapes and gooseberries as well.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2013, 13:02 by DD. »

Grubbypaws

« Reply #11 on: November 23, 2013, 13:00 »
Thanks Lilac. I have prioritized the bud orientation.

I now have the cuttings and some soil. Do I just push them in or do they need preparing in anyway?

LilacSandy

« Reply #12 on: November 25, 2013, 15:56 »
I just cut them into pieces about 5" or 6" long with a bud at the top of each cutting, just push them in the soil and leave.

Grubbypaws

« Reply #13 on: November 25, 2013, 16:10 »
Thank you Lilac. The question now is what am I going to do with 12 blackcurrent bushes next year  :blink:

LilacSandy

« Reply #14 on: November 25, 2013, 16:18 »
Well.... black current jam, black current ice cream,  summer puddings,  black current cordial, black current wine, black current liqueur, black current coulis,....anyone notice that I like black currents.  :D

xx
no blackcurrants

Started by newupthetump on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post August 14, 2018, 15:18
by Goosegirl
xx
Blackcurrants

Started by andynberry on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post October 11, 2006, 06:19
by phaxl
xx
Blackcurrants

Started by superluke2 on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post July 05, 2011, 13:22
by whiskywill
xx
Blackcurrants.

Started by A Reyt Tayty on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post March 04, 2014, 10:04
by A Reyt Tayty

Page created in 0.352 seconds with 39 queries.