Anybody love tortie cats?

• 20 Replies

Caralou

• Family Member.
    • Lowcostliving
Re: Anybody love tortie cats?
« Reply #15 on: March 06, 2010, 10:07 »
Poor old lady tortie - I hope her mouth is up to eating some soft treats  ;) My little terror kept me awake all night wailing and scrambling to get out  ::) I've got her in the feral crate at the moment and as soon as I see her eat something she can come out as her breathing is back to normal and her temperament is her usual tortie self with her getting very grumpy about her containment!

johnfh

• Experienced Member
« Reply #16 on: March 06, 2010, 22:26 »
Is it true that all tortie cats are female or is this just an old wives tale that I was told as a child?  All the ones mentioned here seem to be female. 

Does anyone know of a male one now or ever? 

Thanks.
John

tam

• Experienced Member
    • The Rabbit House
« Reply #17 on: March 06, 2010, 22:32 »
She's slurping a bit of food now but still feeling a bit sorry for herself. How is your's doing? Has she eaten anything yet?  My vet calls them 'naughty torties' and says they are the best at trouble making  :lol:

I'm not sure that there are no exceptions but yep, almost all tortoiseshell cats are little girls :)

Caralou

• Family Member.
    • Lowcostliving
« Reply #18 on: March 07, 2010, 01:09 »
Is it true that all tortie cats are female or is this just an old wives tale that I was told as a child?  All the ones mentioned here seem to be female. 

Does anyone know of a male one now or ever? 

Thanks.

It is a very rare occurrence to get a male tortie, but it can happen. It's a genetic abnormality when it does though and I believe that male torties are also infertile  :)

Rubellite

« Reply #19 on: March 07, 2010, 10:09 »
Well, I may love my tortie madame but tonight she has had me in a total fluster. The poor little thing got her collar stuck in her mouth and she went into panic mode and then got very feral on me so it took over an hour to capture her. While I was trying to get her the circulation to her tongue was cut off so it was going blue and swelling. Eventually got it off but she was dribbling blood and having problems breathing. Off to the emergency vets we went which happened to be chaos and it took an hour to go in, but thankfully her breathing was improving while we waited (sadly 3 dogs came and didn't leave while I was waiting  :( ). Her tongue is cut, bruised and swollen and she is now crated for the night as I need to keep an eye on her and she is most unhappy about this and is wailing so loudly, which I can only take a sign that she is feeling a bit better with the anti-inflammatory and painkilling jab she had  ::)

Ouch, Cara. :( I don't put collars on my cats as I'm always worried about them after seeing Alfie falling from trees and doing other stupid things, I just thought it would be safer for him without one and have followed through with the others.
Years ago I had two dogs, a Dobermann and Collie x who would play by grabbing at each other's necks. The Dobermann caught his jaw in Hobo's collar and nigh on throttled him - so don't often have collars on dogs unless they are out on a lead either.
Hope your girlie feels better today  ;)

Goosegirl

« Reply #20 on: March 15, 2010, 17:12 »
Aw - so sorry to hear about your cat, Caralou - torties don't like to be controlled do they even when it's for the best..! Spana - how lovely is Fluffball...! One of ours brought in a small mole today - my farmer neighbour will be pleased. It's supposed to rain here later this week so will get to grips with things and put pix of my lovelies on here - otherwise I am in the garden all the time (with help from the torties of course).   ::) :tongue2:
I work very hard so don't expect me to think as well.

xx
I love my cats but...

Started by Kate and her Ducks on Pets without Feathers

11 Replies
Last post June 04, 2013, 19:59
by Auntiemogs
xx
As much as I love my cats...

Started by Casey76 on Pets without Feathers

8 Replies
Last post May 27, 2010, 16:46
by Livinhope
xx
A poem for tortie-lovers.

Started by Goosegirl on Pets without Feathers

1 Replies
Last post April 15, 2015, 17:29
by devonbarmygardener
xx
cats one rule for dogs one for cats

Started by traacyken on Pets without Feathers

60 Replies
Last post April 05, 2014, 22:25
by mumofstig

Page created in 0.126 seconds with 40 queries.