Damson tree damage

• 5 Replies

GarethR

Damson tree damage
« on: June 27, 2014, 19:03 »
Hi everyone,

I have an old but established damson tree on my allotment that didn't fruit last year but did this year. It's fairly loaded with currently in ripe fruit but I've just found it in a state - the main branch has somehow snapped off the main trunk (as photo) in the last 24-48 hours.

Is there anyway to salvage the branch or at least salvage the tree?

Many thanks in advance!

Gareth
image.jpg

Lardman

Re: Damson tree damage
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2014, 19:11 »
Mine ended up the same way  :( It needed support under the loaded branches.

I cut the snapped off as best I could and the tree has survived so far (4 years) but with far less fruit.  Unless you're attached Id be looking for a new tree this winter , you can always keep that one alive until the new is producing.

Gardener and Rabbit

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2014, 20:06 »
One option might be to leave it for now, and see what happens.  If there's still enough wood attaching it, the branch might survive, in the same way that a layered hedge does, and in time it might root where it's touching the ground. :unsure:

GarethR

« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2014, 20:26 »
I was looking at some sites that talk about splicing it back together. Has anyone tried this and is it worth doing with this?

Goosegirl

« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2014, 11:14 »
One option might be to leave it for now, and see what happens.  If there's still enough wood attaching it, the branch might survive, in the same way that a layered hedge does, and in time it might root where it's touching the ground. :unsure:
This is good advice to try as there is nothing lost if it doesn't work. I've seen master hedge-layers cut hawthorns almost all the way through and it works - unbelievable!
I work very hard so don't expect me to think as well.

GarethR

« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2014, 16:24 »
Hi all,

I've decided to try and salvage it. After cutting down non-fruiting growth on the damaged side, it took a few of us to haul it up and lash it to some scaffolding already there behind it. Once largely in place, we've put a couple of screws/nails through the bark to secure it into place.

The next step is to find a jubilee-clip style mechanism to push the edges as close together as possible. Let's hope it works or at least until the fruit ripens - the leaves haven't wilted yet so it's a good sign!

G
image.jpg

xx
Staking a new apple tree (and a new damson tree)

Started by Zippy on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post December 30, 2010, 15:12
by Yorkie
xx
Damson tree

Started by mdjlucan on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post August 21, 2022, 17:37
by missmoneypenny
xx
which Damson tree?

Started by Grubbypaws on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post February 20, 2011, 20:26
by solway cropper
xx
Pruning a Damson tree

Started by gavinjconway on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post October 21, 2011, 10:01
by gavinjconway

Page created in 0.295 seconds with 33 queries.