Apple tree

• 10 Replies

RJR_38

• www.foodinmytum.com
Apple tree
« on: April 19, 2014, 08:04 »
My parents came up to visit and rather than bringing me a chocolate Easter egg they got me an apple tree - yay! It is a 'patio' one - Cox's Pippin and is already about 5ft tall with lots of blossom. Is now a good time to plant it on the plot (or should I leave it in its pot which seems very small to me) and what kind of conditions does it like? I am trying to work out where on he plot to plant it
« Last Edit: April 19, 2014, 08:04 by RJR_38 »

gobs

Re: Apple tree
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2014, 10:59 »
I'd plant it before the coming showers.
"Words... I know exactly what words I'm wanting to say, but somehow or other they is always getting squiff-squiddled around." R Dahl

Kleftiwallah

« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2014, 12:28 »

and - Before it becomes rootbound.  Any sunny area will do.  Chuck a bit of general fertilizer into the hole and scatter on the infill.  Plant only as deep as it is in the pot.

Cheers,   Tony.
I may be growing OLD, but I refuse to grow UP !

Goosegirl

« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2014, 14:00 »
I agree to plant it now but water it well a couple of hours beforehand. Make your planting hole about twice as wide as the pot and a bit deeper than the pot depth. Check for good drainage before you plant by filling it with water to see how fast it goes down. If ok, put some compost in the bottom of the hole then lift the tree out of its pot by knocking gently down on the rim. Put the empty pot in the hole and adjust the base level with more compost and a general fertiliser so the tree will be level with the surrounding soil when planted as Klefti says. Gently tease any roots around the root ball with your fingers, especially any that are going round it because they will continue to do that even after planting. Put the root ball in, turn it around to get its best position if needed and add some infill soil to half the depth then firm well but not too hard. Finish planting, firm again then add a bit more fertiliser on top. Water regularly, even if it rains. How lovely!  :D
I work very hard so don't expect me to think as well.

wbmkk

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2014, 16:33 »
rather than bringing me a chocolate Easter egg they got me an apple tree - yay!

That's my sort of gift .... a great idea.  :D

Just like folk who buy a bunch of flowers ... far better to buy a growing plant in a pot

rowan57

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2014, 16:46 »
rather than bringing me a chocolate Easter egg they got me an apple tree - yay!

That's my sort of gift .... a great idea.  :D

Just like folk who buy a bunch of flowers ... far better to buy a growing plant in a pot

Don't go telling people that, those people pay my salary! ;)

Trillium

« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2014, 19:13 »
Wish someone would buy me a fruit tree, not that I get chocolates either (iffy blood sugar levels).

A very nice choice for Easter gift. You could either plant it out now or put it in a slightly larger pot since it's a patio tree.

RJR_38

• www.foodinmytum.com
« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2014, 19:19 »
Thanks everyone I will get down there early tomorrow morning and plant it out - and hopefully beat the showers!  I have some of that fungus stuff I used for my bare root bushes as well so I will use that as well. I still haven't 100% decided where to put it as I have just finished laying all my beds and the only 'unstructured' space is full of potatoes. I have a couple of options though.

If it has lots of blossom do you think I am likely to get any fruit this year out of interest?

Jay The Digger

• Experienced Member
« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2014, 19:57 »
If it is covered in blossom, I would try and resist the urge to plant it straight away.

While its in a pot it is moveable, and you can shelter it from the rain, at least until the blossom dies back.  Make sure the bees can still get at it though.

I will look forlornly at my chocolate eggs tomorrow and think what could have been.  Great pressie.

wbmkk

• Experienced Member
« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2014, 20:22 »
I have some of that fungus stuff ...

Are you like me ... I can't spell and would never try and write out 'mycorrhizal fungi'

RJR_38

• www.foodinmytum.com
« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2014, 21:12 »
If it is covered in blossom, I would try and resist the urge to plant it straight away.

While its in a pot it is moveable, and you can shelter it from the rain, at least until the blossom dies back.  Make sure the bees can still get at it though.

I will look forlornly at my chocolate eggs tomorrow and think what could have been.  Great pressie.

Oh really? It is in a sheltered spot by the side of my shed at the moment - so rain can still get at it but no wind etc. Maybe I will just give it some shelter for the next few days then

xx
Small damsel tree and apple tree

Started by mdjlucan on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post February 19, 2022, 11:41
by mdjlucan
xx
Staking a new apple tree (and a new damson tree)

Started by Zippy on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post December 30, 2010, 15:12
by Yorkie
xx
Apple tree and apple help...

Started by Lardman on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post October 26, 2008, 09:45
by SG6
xx
Apple Tree

Started by Rangerkris on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post June 05, 2010, 11:48
by Rangerkris

Page created in 0.31 seconds with 36 queries.