which miniture apple tree ?

• 13 Replies

smellykipper

• Experienced Member
  • Always willing to learn
which miniture apple tree ?
« on: October 03, 2013, 07:07 »
which miniture apple tree would you buy to go on your allotment ?
Hi ho, Hi ho
It's off to work we go
(whistles)
Hi ho, Hi ho, Hi ho

surbie100

• Winner Prettiest Pumpkin - 2014
Re: which miniture apple tree ?
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2013, 10:28 »
I have a Chr*****s Pippin from my local garden centre on M27 stock.
Also available here: http://www.orangepippintrees.co.uk/apple-trees/Winterval-pippin

I also have an Ashmeads Kernel espalier coming from Brogdale when they get round to digging it up. Trained fruit trees don't need to get big, and can make useful walls or windbreaks.

Edit to add:
Sorry the link doesn't work properly. Use of the 'C' word appears to be banned till December so it was changed to 'Winterval' automatically.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2013, 12:11 by surbie100 »

Kristen

• K's Garden blog
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2013, 11:18 »
There are Apples Days coming up - which will be a chance for you to taste a variety of apples, and get advice about what grows well in your local area, might be worth a look?  Taste is rather subjective :)

National Apple Day this year is 21 October 2013, but around here dates vary (which makes it possible to visit several on adjacent weekends :) )

gobs

« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2013, 21:12 »

None. I have an allotment to grow things not to be much restricted. So I'd only grow a proper tree that comes up with some reasonable amount of produce. I can see no point otherwise, since hardly any more space it takes up.

So unless, you can't pick or prune it for some physical reason, I'd go for a good, well sized cropper of your liking and taste.

An array of choice, you can only choose for your own liking.

So many excellent nurseries, look through. (Keepers for one, other shall list some more. All will be good.)

Come up with a short list and then peeps can tell about their experience with them, that will be more useful advice, I'd think.
"Words... I know exactly what words I'm wanting to say, but somehow or other they is always getting squiff-squiddled around." R Dahl

Rampant_Weasel

• Potato Varieties
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2013, 21:51 »
an espalier is probaly the most space efficient form and yields as much as a bush tree.choice is yours as to what variety you want, it depends if u want an early, mid season or late keeping apple, then its down to taste, disease resistance ( if you dont want to spray).
i have used keeper, ashridge trees, blackmoor and buckingham nurserys in the past, all are excellent.

surbie100

« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2013, 22:50 »
I have an allotment to grow things not to be much restricted. So I'd only grow a proper tree that comes up with some reasonable amount of produce. I can see no point otherwise, since hardly any more space it takes up.

Some sites have restrictions on the trees & rootstocks you can grow Gobs.  Live and let live.  :)

The orange pippin site has a useful compare & contrast feature that helps you find pollination partners for the apples you want, if you're looking at more than one that is after you've been to the apple days and eaten your way around.  ;) Not that you have to buy from them, but it's a handy tool.

gobs

« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2013, 22:55 »
I have an allotment to grow things not to be much restricted. So I'd only grow a proper tree that comes up with some reasonable amount of produce. I can see no point otherwise, since hardly any more space it takes up.

Some sites have restrictions on the trees & rootstocks you can grow Gobs.  Live and let live.  :)

The orange pippin site has a useful compare & contrast feature that helps you find pollination partners for the apples you want, if you're looking at more than one that is after you've been to the apple days and eaten your way around.  ;) Not that you have to buy from them, but it's a handy tool.

Are you explaining to me that there were such things as root stocks? ( two words mind!) Why? Thank you, now I know. :wub:

surbie100

« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2013, 20:22 »

Are you explaining to me that there were such things as root stocks? ( two words mind!) Why? Thank you, now I know. :wub:

:lol:  :lol: Easy tiger!

No I wasn't. Just that pointing out some sites restrict what you can grow. As mine does.

If we're being pedantic, which I often am  ;), rootstock is one word in OED and according to RHS.

smellykipper

• Experienced Member
« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2013, 22:55 »
were not allowed full on large trees

gobs

« Reply #9 on: October 05, 2013, 03:07 »

Oh, god, he is rightly guessing as well! :lol:

Sorry to all about this grump, was in a state of feeling attacked about nothings. But yet again, I said:

'unless you can't grow...@

Well, I do not know then, what you are allowed. A semi-dwarfing would seem reasonable and Rampant Weasel's suggestion is king. Espalier looks neat and tidy and human scale. Also decorative even. :D

For I would think, why they not allow it - against the laws of the land, they are just making it up -, is because, understandably, they do not want to fight with 60 metres Bramleys when someone gives up their plot.

A miniature is very little in the crop department, that's what I was trying to say. If you can have something on a semi-dwarfing root-stock, it's not a huge tree, there will be crop.

smellykipper

• Experienced Member
« Reply #10 on: October 05, 2013, 05:36 »

Oh, god, he is rightly guessing as well! :lol:

Sorry to all about this grump, was in a state of feeling attacked about nothings. But yet again, I said:

'unless you can't grow...@

Well, I do not know then, what you are allowed. A semi-dwarfing would seem reasonable and Rampant Weasel's suggestion is king. Espalier looks neat and tidy and human scale. Also decorative even. :D

For I would think, why they not allow it - against the laws of the land, they are just making it up -, is because, understandably, they do not want to fight with 60 metres Bramleys when someone gives up their plot.

A miniature is very little in the crop department, that's what I was trying to say. If you can have something on a semi-dwarfing root-stock, it's not a huge tree, there will be crop.

i could even have ten aslong as there not large trees, they didnt say i could only have one  :D

thankyou all  :)

Daz

Kristen

• K's Garden blog
« Reply #11 on: October 05, 2013, 08:56 »
i could even have ten aslong as there not large trees, they didnt say i could only have one
I have 10 apple trees trained as Espalier. Gives me a chance to have different varieties without the huge crop that I would get from a full sized tree, but also a decent sized crop (compared to a plant on a fully dwarfing rootstock)

You could also have a family tree - more than one variety grafted onto a single plant - but I was advised not to do that for Espalier as the various varieties would grow at different rates, and overwhelm that "part" of the structure at the detriment to the rest.

Possible alternative (although personally I don't see the point) is a step-over apple - a single row espalier trained along the edge of the bed.

Rampant_Weasel

• Potato Varieties
« Reply #12 on: October 05, 2013, 16:46 »
m26 or mm106 is good for espalier.if u want a small bush tree then m27 or m9 is suitable for an allotment.
hope this helps.

smellykipper

• Experienced Member
« Reply #13 on: October 05, 2013, 20:40 »
m26 or mm106 is good for espalier.if u want a small bush tree then m27 or m9 is suitable for an allotment.
hope this helps.

it all helps thankyou :)

Daz

xx
Staking a new apple tree (and a new damson tree)

Started by Zippy on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post December 30, 2010, 15:12
by Yorkie
xx
Small damsel tree and apple tree

Started by mdjlucan on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post February 19, 2022, 11:41
by mdjlucan
xx
Apple tree and apple help...

Started by Lardman on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post October 26, 2008, 09:45
by SG6
xx
Apple tree

Started by RJR_38 on Grow Your Own

10 Replies
Last post April 19, 2014, 21:12
by RJR_38

Page created in 0.415 seconds with 36 queries.