Slow cucs

• 4 Replies

Salmo

Slow cucs
« on: June 29, 2017, 22:05 »
I have 2 marketmore cucumber plants growing outdoors in a growbag. They have grown fast and look very healthy.

Between them they have several male flowers and 6 female flowers which seem to be sitting there and not expanding. Both plants are putting out a side shoot which are being trained up separate sticks. Am I right to retain the side shoots? Are they the reason why the small cucumbers are staying small?

JayG

• Global Moderator
Re: Slow cucs
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2017, 07:28 »
I just leave Marketmore to get on with it - they don't like cooler conditions much, and are quite difficult to try to hand pollinate as the male flowers don't seem to produce much pollen.

Mine were just starting to flower when I left a week ago to go on holiday - will report later when I get home (if there is actually anything to report.)
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

wapello

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2017, 12:08 »
 For the last two years cue's just would not grow for me, in fact Wighty (ginny) kindly gave me a plant last year,
 This year, i'm a sucker for punishment i planted some this year in my tunnel and yes i'm over run with them
 i've got four up to the top of 5ft canes with cues about 3-4" long, got another four in pots about two ft high and
 six more still in the bed,,,i just water them and feed them along side my peppers and melons,,,,now heres
 the kicker   i can't stand cuecumders, so people up and down my road hope they like them,,,, :wacko:
Colin

juvenal

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2017, 12:37 »
I just leave Marketmore to get on with it - they don't like cooler conditions much, and are quite difficult to try to hand pollinate as the male flowers don't seem to produce much pollen.

Mine were just starting to flower when I left a week ago to go on holiday - will report later when I get home (if there is actually anything to report.)

Likewise. My Marketmore go out into open ground on the allotment, look after themselves and they've never let me down. Just coming into flower now.

Dose of water in really dry weather.

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2017, 08:49 »

It was cold and wet in Sheffield nearly all the time we were away, and the outdoor Marketmore have pretty much stalled for the time being (unlike the La Diva in the GH which are romping away.)

xx
which way to grow cucs

Started by mrsbean on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post June 05, 2016, 14:06
by mrsbean
xx
male and female cucs.

Started by I Love Spuds on Grow Your Own

14 Replies
Last post April 11, 2017, 23:19
by gobs
xx
cucs, toms and sweetcorn seeds

Started by tontom on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post March 28, 2010, 13:01
by mumofstig
xx
enorma runner beans, marketmore cucs & toms

Started by mashbintater on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post April 12, 2009, 22:09
by mashbintater

Page created in 0.29 seconds with 30 queries.