Weed membrane/ couch grass/ pumpkins...

• 17 Replies

Nicki85

• Experienced Member
Weed membrane/ couch grass/ pumpkins...
« on: March 08, 2011, 11:19 »
So i'm really getting stuck into sorting out my lottie now  8) It kind of splits out into 7 beds which measure in between 1mx5m to 4mx5m.  They are in varying states of disrepair.  We have so far dug over and removed weeds from one 2x5m bed and half of another.  It seems most of the beds were probably dug over last year so it is not as bad as it could be!  :D

Now where I need your help... The last bed (4m x5m) is covered in knee high couch grass.  We aren't going to be able to dig all that out this year but I would like to make it a bit neater and productive if possible.  I don't want to weed-killer it on environmental grounds really.  So I was thinking-
Strim
Put down weed membrane
Plant through courgettes, pumpkin and squash plants

Would this work?  I was thinking that I could dig holes for the squashes etc and line with manure to get them started.  Thoughts?

Also does anyone have any good sources of nice, thick weed fabric (preferebly online)? I've heard that some can be pretty flimsy...

Thanks in advance  :tongue2:

stompy

Re: Weed membrane/ couch grass/ pumpkins...
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2011, 11:59 »
As i said before, im in the same boat as you.
I am as you are making raised beds and i also have grass covering everything.
What im doing is, im building the beds then lightly digging over the ground, then im putting cardboard down within the bed and putting manure on top and growing through that.

That way the weeds will be suppresed but the weed suppressent (cardboard) will rot away adding to the soil condition and there will be no need to remove it at the end.
I will be doing this on all of my main veg beds for the first year.

Then copiouse amounts of manure and sharp sand will be added there after.
You may need to dig out some of the remaining couch grass roots that have survived at the end of the year but the main of it will have been done for you by the cardboard ;)

Nicki85

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2011, 12:13 »
I do like the sound of the cardboard but I don't think our site allows it  :(  It doesn't allow carpet either... I guess i'm replicating your method kindof using the membrane though.  It's just more expensive!

stompy

« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2011, 12:42 »
Are you sure they don't allow cardboard?
I know most site now don't allow carpets, but cardboard ???
we  put it in our compost bins too shredded!

Nicki85

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2011, 12:52 »
Oh maybe I need to check.. the TOR refer to carpet it seems and say that you can use weed membrane but they do not mention cardboard  :blink: Hm maybe an email to the allotment warden is in order!  I don't think any of the other plots have cardboard on them tho. :wacko:

stompy

« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2011, 13:05 »
Im almost certain you can use cardboard.
The reason carpet has been banned is because people would put it down, then the weeds would grow through it and it was very difficult to remove after that.
Also alot of the carpets were synthetic and didn't break down, and what bits that did were made from not very good chemicals.

Nicki85

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2011, 13:20 »
And I thought it was because it didn't look pretty  ::)  Glad to hear about the scientific reasonings behind it though. 

stompy

« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2011, 13:22 »
 :tongue2:

Lottie Mary

« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2011, 13:45 »
I'm liking the cardboard idea!   :D

Thankfully I've got access to an abundance of it because I work for a company that makes mirrors and we have a lot of packaging which would otherwise just go in the recycling bin (and the allotment is a form of recycling!).

Thanks for the tip!  My allotment is still half weed so anything I can do to make the load lighter really helps.

stompy

« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2011, 13:49 »
Just make sure you take all the tape off, otherwise you end up having to dig it out  ;)

Nicki85

• Experienced Member
« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2011, 14:32 »
Just to check..... if I put cardboard down (how many layers???) followed by a layer of manure (how thick?) and then what, planted my pumpkins/ squashes through it would that work? Or could I just plant them on top  :blink: I'm guessing that would require a reallllly thick layer of manure tho! :dry:

stompy

« Reply #11 on: March 08, 2011, 15:02 »
Just put one layer of cardboard down, cut a hole in it large enough to put the plant in then put a cane in each hole so you know where they are and then cover with manure.
Now dig out where the hole is and plant the plant, now just push the manure upto yhe plant and water thoroughly.
The manure acts as a mulch and retains moisture.
Treat the plant as normal from now on.

bigben

« Reply #12 on: March 08, 2011, 15:04 »
Last year I ran out of time trying to clear mine and had to do my pumpkins thru fabric. I used http://www.amazon.co.uk/Heavy-100gsm-metre-Control-Fabric/dp/B0021G1DJI/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1299596243&sr=8-4 which is from Amazon. It is made by alplas which might supply it cheaper direct.

Cut two 5m strips and put on top of each other, staple one edge, fold over about a cm and staple again and you have a 4m strip. You can buy in 4m wide strips but I find the 2m wide bits more versatile for most of my beds.

Ian_P

• Experienced Member
« Reply #13 on: March 08, 2011, 16:35 »
When I took over my plot I found heavy duty black polythene worked better at keeping the weeds down because it also kept the moisture out and they desicated. I still use it over winter now, and on a nice day like today I can turn a bit back, and it is nice and dry to work with.

There is plenty of sheeting on lnie. Go for the thickest you can afford because it will last longer.
Ian

Feeding the mini-beasts of Hampshire

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #14 on: March 08, 2011, 22:31 »
Polythene really isn't much good for the soil if down for any length of time.

It makes the soil sour as there is no air or moisture getting to it.
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

xx
couch grass growing under heavy duty weed suppressant?

Started by julietmaria on Grow Your Own

12 Replies
Last post April 07, 2014, 09:05
by compostqueen
xx
Grass paths or membrane

Started by SusieB on Grow Your Own

10 Replies
Last post April 11, 2015, 10:04
by Kristen
xx
weed membrane

Started by ex-cavator on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post March 21, 2010, 20:31
by digalotty
xx
Weed suppressant membrane

Started by Jaseywase on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post August 14, 2011, 22:07
by operabunny

Page created in 0.334 seconds with 32 queries.