Netting for fruits

• 3 Replies

Benallen2000

Netting for fruits
« on: April 24, 2021, 09:22 »
Hi everyone,

It’s my first year with an allotment that was quite overgrown when we acquired it so we’ve spent a lot of time getting in to shape. There are lots of fruit bushes on the plot and they are fairly spread out so building an individual fruit cage for each one is probably impractical, especially with all the other stuff we’re trying to do in year 1. Is there a simple way to protect them without building a full structure? Would netting suspended on canes above them be enough or does it really need to fully encompass the bush? Thanks in advance
« Last Edit: April 24, 2021, 09:24 by Benallen2000 »

Kleftiwallah

Re: Netting for fruits
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2021, 10:04 »
Good morning Benallen2000. 

What's that line from "Field of Dreams"  "If you build it they will come?"   They will come and find the tinyest hole there is and this is experience speaking!  Cover the plants completely and don't forget to nail the netting to the ground as well.  Think of Stalag 17, not to keep them in but to keep them out. :D

Cheers,  Toiny.
I may be growing OLD, but I refuse to grow UP !

Benallen2000

« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2021, 10:38 »
Thanks for that. I thought as much. I might have to do a bit this year and a bit next. As a temporary measure I could just drape some netting over the smaller gooseberry and blueberry bushes and hope for the best. And build a more permanent structure for the raspberries and blackberries. Cheers

Potterer

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2021, 18:36 »
Hi. I don’t find I need netting for raspberries ( I have autumn ones). I do drape netting round blueberries, gooseberries and blackcurrants. I use washing pegs to keep it in place where I want it. It means I can stop them trying from the bottom too.  I tend to use scaffold netting as it’s small enough for birds not to get tangled in, if they still have a go!

xx
Debris netting or Ikea netting?

Started by Yana on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post May 01, 2012, 18:51
by hightide
xx
fruits

Started by pwgun on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post November 28, 2006, 12:13
by John
xx
fruits of my labours

Started by Kiwi on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post February 11, 2009, 12:52
by Celtic Eagle
xx
No fruits on blueberries

Started by Grubbypaws on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post August 09, 2020, 10:04
by New shoot

Page created in 0.283 seconds with 33 queries.