Keeping grass down on paths and non-growing areas

• 11 Replies

Chivetalkin

Keeping grass down on paths and non-growing areas
« on: February 05, 2021, 20:18 »
There's quite a bit of grassy area in my allotment. I struggle to keep it tidy. I end up strimming it but that's a bit of a faff and the strimmer isn't great. I thought about getting a couple of rabbits or guinea pigs in a run and moving them around the grassy areas. we are allowed to keep rabbits on our plots, however I wouldn't want to leave them there and would bring them home at night. I think a peripatetic pygmy goat would be nice to share...but seriously, has anyone else tried small furry mammals or chickens to level the pathways?

Aidy

• Location: Born n bred Lancastrian living in tropical Blackpool
    • Aidy Neal Photography
Re: Keeping grass down on paths and non-growing areas
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2021, 22:26 »
Personally speaking my chooks probably wouldnt help in anyway. To me rabbits etc sound like a load more faff as you put it, I use my strimmer on the grass path I have.
Each to their own as they say
Punk isn't dead...it's underground where it belongs. If it comes to the surface it's no longer punk...it's Green Day!

AnneB

« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2021, 12:26 »
We have tried wood chip but have gone back to just strimming a grass path as an easier option.  Even though we have a local source of free wood chip, it is a hassle topping it up and weeds take root from the plot next door.
We bought a cheap battery operated strimmer (a Worx one) that does the job very effectively.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2021, 12:40 »
Mine is a Worx, as well,  and I bought an extra battery so I can do the whole plot in 1 go :)

jezza

« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2021, 14:28 »
Hello desnt the allotment tenants have a machinery pool that has a strimmer and organise a rota so that some one always keeps the paths cut,   jezza

AnneB

« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2021, 16:43 »
Hello desnt the allotment tenants have a machinery pool that has a strimmer and organise a rota so that some one always keeps the paths cut,   jezza
I think Chivetalkin is referring to the paths on their plot, rather than the paths on communal areas.

Our Association has a rota where the committee and 1 or 2 others share mowing the communal paths with a shared mower.   We used to have hedgetrimmers, strimmers, a rotovator, chain saw etc that we hired out for a small fee to cover petrol and maintenance but sadly we found people did not look after the equipment as if it was their own and it was costing us a fortune in repair and replacement. 
It was also impossible to get people to book in advance.  Many is the time having spent several hours on site and about to head home that someone would expect you to hang around for another hour while they did their hedge.   So sadly we don't bother any more!!

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2021, 16:57 »
I agree with Anne!  :D

We have petrol mowers that we lend out to association members (in non-Covid times, obviously), but we are not insured for the use by others of more risky powered tools such as strimmers.

As for the original question, I would first ask whether there is really a need for such an amount of area to be grassed? We have rules about % that must be under cultivated.

I had grass paths that eventually I covered with weed suppressant fabric, as it was mainly couch grass that kept growing into the beds themselves.  I found that my strimmer didn't do the job by about mid-summer, but battery technology has come on in leaps and bounds since then.
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

Subversive_plot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2021, 06:21 »
When the weather starts heating up, place black plastic sheeting over the areas where grass keeps growing.  Weigh down the edges (brick, etc.).

The heat under the plastic should kill the grass after a week or two.  Longer treatment may be needed for really stubborn grasses. After treatment, fold the plastic up until you need it again. Mulching with broadleaf leaves may deter re-emergence between treatments.
"Somewhere between right and wrong, there is a garden. I will meet you there."~ Rumi

bayleaf

• Experienced Member
« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2021, 07:56 »
I've used a battery powered strimmer but it takes ages. Picked up a push mower and now takes ten minutes!!

AnneB

« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2021, 09:55 »
I've used a battery powered strimmer but it takes ages. Picked up a push mower and now takes ten minutes!!
Push mowers are very good for this but quite hard to find now.  I think battery powered tools have improved no end.  Our plot takes a few minutes only with ours too.

Snowboar

• Experienced Member
« Reply #10 on: February 16, 2021, 04:45 »
I use weed fabric then chippings ya have to change after a few year but can use as a mulch

Welsh Merf

« Reply #11 on: February 16, 2021, 20:52 »
I have a Stihl 2-stroke petrol strimmer. Takes no time at all. MUST wear decent ear defenders and goggles of course.
I may be Welsh, but I love ewe anyway!

See my diary pages here

and add a comment here

xx
grass paths

Started by vegypete on Grow Your Own

16 Replies
Last post November 09, 2011, 16:15
by sunshineband
xx
Grass paths or membrane

Started by SusieB on Grow Your Own

10 Replies
Last post April 11, 2015, 10:04
by Kristen
xx
Clearing grass paths

Started by HLS on Grow Your Own

15 Replies
Last post May 20, 2009, 19:19
by Yorkie
xx
Grass Paths and Weeds

Started by GardenShed on Grow Your Own

18 Replies
Last post June 16, 2014, 13:14
by Ma Lowe

Page created in 0.338 seconds with 51 queries.