From winter to spring

• 5 Replies

al78

From winter to spring
« on: February 15, 2021, 20:57 »
Big contrast in the weather this coming week compared to last week. Sub-zero all day on several days last week, temperatures pushing mid teens by the coming weekend with sunshine. I've sown some carrot seeds in my greenhouse to see if I can get an early crop in spring. It worked last year when I sowed seeds at the end of February, although last winter and spring were remarkable for lack of frost. We'll see what happens this year.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
Re: From winter to spring
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2021, 21:27 »
The long range forecast, for here at least, shows early March cold be colder again - so as usual it'll be 'fingers crossed' for any early sowings  :nowink:

al78

« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2021, 09:56 »
There is a modest positive correlation between the average temperature in the second half of February and of the Spring. If the next couple of weeks are mild, that increases the chance Spring will be warmer than average. I will take long range forecasts with a pinch of salt, there is little skill beyond a week, and March is still two weeks away.

Met Office forecast 1st-15th March:
"Into March there is a signal for higher than average pressure to sit close to or over the UK, with dry and settled conditions most likely. Temperatures are likely to return to around normal, perhaps below-average with a slightly greater chance of cold spells during this time, bringing an increased chance of overnight frost and an uncertain chance of snow. Towards mid-March there are signs of a change to more unsettled and milder conditions."

I could live with that if it came off.

rowlandwells

« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2021, 17:50 »
I'm  a bit sceptical about doing any sowings I tend to agree with a178 I'm going to hang on for a little longer to see what March brings before doing any sowings in the greenhouse because i know i won't get on the allotments to do any cultivation till April

bayleaf

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2021, 20:49 »
Put some spuds in hot bed in polytunnel today. Covered with fleece and plastic cloches. Hopefully be alright!!

Christine

« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2021, 08:14 »
Never bother with very early stuff up here in the main - it's a bit far north, close to some big hills and given to the back end of onshore winds. March is mostly quite soon enough.

xx
winter spring onions

Started by hubballi on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post February 17, 2013, 10:21
by hubballi
xx
Winter/Spring Red Cabbage?

Started by strangerachael on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post January 20, 2014, 16:21
by crh75
xx
Spring, Summer, Winter Cabbage

Started by Kirpi on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post June 05, 2012, 10:13
by Kirpi
xx
spring/summer/winter cabbage

Started by Rampant_Weasel on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post March 28, 2008, 05:10
by Earl Grey

Page created in 0.379 seconds with 41 queries.