Hello All! Newbie here!!

• 7 Replies

J3FF0RD

Hello All! Newbie here!!
« on: May 23, 2015, 18:16 »
Just wanted to introduce myself to you all before i drive you all up the wall with silly questions haha
After 15 years on waiting list, my mum finally got asked if she was still interested...snapped it up!
Ive been into gardening myself since little, did agricultural science at school...but didnt go anywhere with it  :unsure:
Took advantage of the weather today and went for scouting mission....I didn't realise how over grown it it was  :ohmy:

We have inherited;

1) some type of currant bushes (any idea how to identfy, or do you wait until harvest?

2) some type of onions, the leaves/shoots have some kind of bud on a couple of them? identification?

3} what i think is radish. I dug one up but seemed to be a big thick deep root but really did smell of radish. If the allotment has been empty for a couple of years would the plant just keep growing?

Many Thanks for acceptence

Craig

LotuSeed

Re: Hello All! Newbie here!!
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2015, 18:46 »
15 years? Good gracious!  Congrats and welcome ☺️
Can't help you with the currant query, they aren't popular in my neck of the woods
The onions sound like they may be going to seed, if they are you can either pull them up and use them or break the seed stem off and leave them. Could be garlic too though, they do the same thing!
Since you said it's been several years since it was occupied some of the things growing may have come about from being untended and left to reseed.
Happy Gardening!
Avg Last Frost Date, April 9, Avg First Frost Date, Oct 26
Avg Growing Season, 200 days

Norfolkgrey

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2015, 18:48 »
Hi and welcome  :)

1) If you rub a leaf or break a small twiggy bit and sniff it. If there is no smell then it is either red or white, if it smells of black currant then it is just that, a black currant  :)

2) Hard to tell at this stage could be garlic trying to flower, tree onions, welsh onions etc. etc.  :(

3) It may have self seeded at some point or overwintered but IMO it is not worth leaving it in the ground.

Fairy Plotmother

« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2015, 20:02 »
Hello and welcome. My, you have some patience to wait all that time.

J3FF0RD

« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2015, 07:35 »
Morning!
Thanks for the replies people! Yes it has been a long time to finally get one, my mum is really happy and i just want to do make it work and get some results just so my mum is happy. Gives us something to do together we both enjoy, even if our lack of knowledge is clear haha

Norfolkgrey - thanks for the advice on currants, i shall do that and see. Apart from currants and possibly onions i think we will just clear whole plot and start a fresh so we know exactly what is going on.

Just a few pictures to show what we found and the plot itself added to view
currant.jpg
onion.jpg
plot.jpg

lettice

« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2015, 07:45 »
Juts looked at your pics.
Your currants are gooseberrys.
That looks like garlic gone to seed.
What you think is radish is horseradish, in that last pic.

Have you any idea what you want to grow?
Looks like you may be able to quickly weed and dig and start planting and sowing, that plot does not look too overgrown.
I would dig a section and put some maincrop potatoes in straight away, loads of seed potatoes being sold off cheap now as its late for planting, but great way to revive the soil.
Get some runner beans planted.
Check out the May growing guide on this site, plenty you can get sown now.
http://www.allotment-garden.org/garden-month-help/garden-may.php
« Last Edit: May 24, 2015, 08:02 by lettice »

J3FF0RD

« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2015, 08:05 »
Thanks lettice !
We did think gooseberry when de-weeding around it but thought they were too small, obviously still time to grow but probably was hoping for currants haha

Yes def agree on the horseradish, just googled the plant and that is correct and explains the the big thick root.

As Norfolkgrey and lotuSeed say about could be either onions or garlic gone to seed, would it be best best to leave as is and de-head flower or just dig up?

Thanks for comments :)

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2015, 18:29 »
Welcome to the site  :D

I'd dig them up, to be honest.
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

xx

Started by James frond on Welcome to the Forums

5 Replies
Last post August 13, 2020, 17:23
by James frond
xx
Newbie Here

Started by Alistair1392 on Welcome to the Forums

8 Replies
Last post June 03, 2015, 17:55
by Yorkie
xx

Started by TJ72 on Welcome to the Forums

11 Replies
Last post February 04, 2021, 09:07
by snowdrops
xx
Hi, newbie here

Started by Howard Mayers on Welcome to the Forums

4 Replies
Last post June 26, 2020, 11:25
by Howard Mayers

Page created in 0.148 seconds with 36 queries.