pruning fruit trees for a first timer

• 6 Replies

3759allen

pruning fruit trees for a first timer
« on: April 09, 2015, 20:13 »
i'm a complete newbie to growing fruit trees and have read a lot of information about pruning fruit trees. from what i've read i think i would be better to train them in a fan.

i planted peach, apricot, apple, pear, plum (one of each) and 2 cherry trees (different varieties) spring. i expected to get minimal growth last year and i could leave pruning until this spring.

the apple and pear have not done a lot as expected so hopefully these will be easier to start to train. but the other trees, especially the cherries have really taken off and now i don't really know where to start.

most of what i've read say to prune the main stem just above 2 healthy shoots or branches about 40cm from the base. my main query is that not a lot of my branches are ideally situated and/ or are un equal sized, so do i make good with the branches i have or cut them all off and use new buds to make fresh branches?

it seems mad to cut so much back if i should use buds to make better placed branches, but i suppose in the long term will be better.

i have attached pictures to show what i mean. before everyone says, i don't have any posts and wires in place yet (these will be going up as soon as i can get some posts). and i know they are a little tight together and ideally probably not enough space but it's all i have.
trees 001.jpg
trees 002.jpg
trees 003.jpg
trees 004.jpg

3759allen

Re: pruning fruit trees for a first timer
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2015, 20:18 »
more pictures.

in order there are cherry, cherry, plum, apricot, peach, apple, pear
trees 005.jpg
trees 006.jpg
trees 007.jpg

Comfr3y

« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2015, 21:28 »
Dear 3759

I would be inclined to build the frame or wiring method that you think feels right for you and as you do the branches that make most sense will become more apparent. Thats what I do and by the way I tell myself it dosent have to conform to a victorian head gardeners standard, I dont think the trees mind that much.

Here's a frighteningly neat and organised version (not mine).
WP_20150314_009-001.jpg

Norfolkgrey

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2015, 21:59 »
I have to admit I am a bit of a wuss and I try to work with what there is, rather than force new shoots. Just a couple of things. Are they on rootstocks that make them suitable for training? the last thing you want is to put loads of effort in and they are just not up to it. Then in regards to the apple is it spur or tip bearing? It is only advised that spur bearing are trained  :)

3759allen

« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2015, 09:57 »
i have sunburst and stella cherries, victoria plum, moonpark apricot, redhaven peach, braeburn apple and confrence pear.

i'm pretty sure they are all on dwarf rootstock, think i checked that before i brought them. i haven't kept the order now so can't be sure.

i didn't know about the apples.

i will check about the tip thing tonight, i should get on with some jobs while the suns out now.

Norfolkgrey

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2015, 10:49 »
Before I forget - don't prune any of them at the moment. I was reading a post elsewhere this morning and thought I better just say. There are two times to prune - winter whilst they are dormant this encourages new growth and summer this restricts and technically weakens it. (it sounds horrible but to get fruit you weaken it) whilst they are young the summer isn't quite so much of an issue. Plums are different as they are prone to disease and are best pruned after fruiting usually around Aug-Sept.

3759allen

« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2015, 19:01 »
i'm sure i did look into when to prune and thought people said stone fruits shouldn't be pruned until late spring/ early summer as they are prone to something like silver leaf fungal.

i was hoping to prune the apple and pear over winter, but haven't been able to find the materials i want to use for the post and wires yet.

xx
Pruning fruit trees

Started by imarr17 on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post April 08, 2011, 19:36
by Yorkie
clip
Pruning fruit trees

Started by Goosegirl on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post July 20, 2020, 23:50
by CHRISDONOHUE
clip
Pruning Fruit Trees

Started by Shambayango on Grow Your Own

0 Replies
Last post May 20, 2023, 13:01
by Shambayango
xx
Pruning Fruit Trees?

Started by spud on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post May 22, 2023, 20:38
by Yorkie

Page created in 0.369 seconds with 33 queries.