Seeds and Fertilizer for next year?

• 10 Replies

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
Seeds and Fertilizer for next year?
« on: August 07, 2022, 21:33 »
With all the talk in the media about seeds and fertilizer getting expensive and difficult to buy, I thought I'd look to see what was happening..
I ended up ordering 5kg of Growmore for £10.90 (including delivery) but in some places prices were really OTT, so it really may be worthwhile getting some in hand, ready for next year.
I've still got a bag of Orgrow unused, so between the 2 (1 organic and 1 not)  I think I'll have enough for next year.
I've also got all my seeds (apart from spuds) now, as well - 'til something else catches my eye  :lol:
Are you planning for next year already?

Growster...

Re: Seeds and Fertilizer for next year?
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2022, 06:40 »
You make a good point there Mum!

I hadn't really thought about next year, but will also consider saving more seed like beans and toms!

Our local GC said that items like Tomorite were in short supply even now!

Get online Growster - NOW ...:0~

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2022, 10:16 »
I have bought a few seeds, just because there are seed sales on and the things I needed were long lasting so I am not worried about 100% fresh seed.

I've also got a tub of Growmore in the shed already for next year. Growmore is a good general purpose one that will do for most things if the need arises and you can't get the exact feeds you want.

I am also composting for all I am worth.  3 dumpy bags are filled at the top of one of my plots and that is in addition to my compost bin collection  :ohmy:  :wacko:  :lol:

Goosegirl

« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2022, 13:11 »
Crumbs! Never gave a thought to seeds and fertilizer being in short supply in the future. Just got a bucket of Vitax Q4 as I was running low, I'm ok for bone meal, Tomorite and Maxicrop, so will check on the rose fertilizer and BFB shortly. Better get some more Sylvagrow compost as well. I already have a nearly full builder's bag of both topsoil and mushroom compost plus my compost bin of kitchen waste we started two years ago so sighs of relief all round. Seed-wise, I'll see what our different toms are like and, as I got quite a few packets of fresh seed this year they should be ok for sowing next year.
I work very hard so don't expect me to think as well.

Christine

« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2022, 17:04 »
The Kings Seed Catalogue for allotment association sales arrived electronically a few days ago (pig to read being small so logged into the site - the pleasure of having the login info) and the paper copies arrived today. Prices have snuck up a little in some places and a generous little in others. Haven't done a deep survey yet so will come back on that.

Allotment Association Hut has sold well once we got stock back in after a few hiccups. Nothing shocking back June time but we'll see how things look at the turn of the year. Perlite is going to be the horror story I think for those who use it well.

rowlandwells

« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2022, 17:55 »
I always try to buy my seed and fertilizer in the autumn to spread the cost but I take your point with fertilizer  its going to be much dearer this time lucky we bought a couple of tubs in hand so all i have to do is order my seed [how much :mad:]

coldandwindy

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2022, 09:12 »
I don't know enough to do this with confidence. Can anyone point me to a list of how long seeds of different types last, please?

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2022, 09:23 »
I don't know enough to do this with confidence. Can anyone point me to a list of how long seeds of different types last, please?

Have a look here.
https://www.allotment-garden.org/gardening-information/seed-saving/seed-storage-longevity-lifespan/

I must admit, until they stopped doing it, I always used to buy my seeds in the local nursery's Autumn sales when they were sold off at 50p a packet  :D
Saved seeds, from your own crops, really do have better viability rates than bought ones.

jaydig

« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2022, 18:15 »
Good idea, Mum,

I've already got next year's seeds, but I hadn't given the fertiliser a thought.  Best get cracking and sort it out.

Thanks for the reminder.

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2022, 20:18 »
I checked the shed today and discovered I had bought a giant tub of pelleted chicken manure as well as the Growmore. I can’t even remember getting that  :wacko:  It must have been some bargain I had to have  :blush:

How bad is it when you compulsively buy chicken poop at the garden centre and then stash it without even registering you are doing so … rhetorical question.  You don’t need to tell me.  I already know ::)  :lol:

coldandwindy

• Experienced Member
« Reply #10 on: August 12, 2022, 09:46 »

Have a look here.
https://www.allotment-garden.org/gardening-information/seed-saving/seed-storage-longevity-lifespan/

I must admit, until they stopped doing it, I always used to buy my seeds in the local nursery's Autumn sales when they were sold off at 50p a packet  :D
Saved seeds, from your own crops, really do have better viability rates than bought ones.
Great - just what I needed, thank you. :)

xx
What a year

Started by Eblana on Chatting on the Plot

5 Replies
Last post October 29, 2018, 18:05
by rowlandwells
xx
A better new year

Started by mrs bouquet on Chatting on the Plot

7 Replies
Last post December 28, 2023, 07:01
by GraciesGran
xx
Spiders this year

Started by Lardman on Chatting on the Plot

16 Replies
Last post February 10, 2022, 18:21
by Growster...
xx
New Year non-resolutions

Started by New shoot on Chatting on the Plot

20 Replies
Last post January 25, 2018, 15:43
by al78

Page created in 0.135 seconds with 47 queries.