Stay safe in the heat

• 15 Replies

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
Stay safe in the heat
« on: July 12, 2022, 22:11 »
Although it's not the first very hot spell, the amber weather warning on Sunday - Monday is something to be taken seriously.

I read a number of tips in a Twitter thread for staying cool (or relatively cool) in the heat, particularly at night.

First was the cold water bottle - put some (cold) water in your hot water bottle and freeze it (or fridge). Put a cover on the bottle before using it in bed!

Spray your top sheet (too hot for a duvet!) with a plant mister - it makes it just damp, which is refreshing for a short while and dries quite fast.  I enjoyed trying this out a couple of nights ago!
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

Plot 1 Problems

• Global Moderator
Re: Stay safe in the heat
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2022, 23:11 »
The number one thing for me is always to keep your windows shut in the daytime and close your curtains on the side of the house in the direction of the sun. If you walk outside and it's warmer than indoors you want to stop that hot air coming in.

Subversive_plot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2022, 02:53 »
We're having a nice cool down here, today and the next few days. Daytime highs 31 C or lower, nightly lows around 21 C.  Today I went out in the afternoon to cut the grass in the front and back yard, since we are getting more welcome rain over the next several days.
"Somewhere between right and wrong, there is a garden. I will meet you there."~ Rumi

GraciesGran

« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2022, 06:42 »
Just got back from walking the dog and it's comfortable at the moment, am on the south coast.  Husband on his way home from watering the plot.  Lawn needs cutting but bees are enjoying the clover so it's not getting done.

Another day reading and doing as little as possible. 

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2022, 09:40 »
I know not everyone enjoys the heat - but - since when did our local forecast of of 23C for Sunday and 27C for Monday become extreme heat? Is it just the MetO stressing their global warming doctrine?
Does anybody else remember the hot summers of the 70s? especially the year we had the droughts, water from standpipes etc..
The highest temperature recorded in June 1976 was 35.6°C, in Southampton on the 28th.
https://www.itv.com/news/2022-07-12/how-does-the-current-heatwave-compare-to-the-scorching-summer-of-1976
What about everybody getting annoyed at airports, lately, so desperate to get on their holiday flights to the Med, to enjoy the 'extreme' summer weather they enjoy, there, every year  ::) :lol:
It sure is a crazy world we live in.........

Lardman

« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2022, 09:58 »
I suspect the level of heat enjoyment is directly related to the amount of work required during it. Even I feel for people like the binmen in this heat (then I remember what they're paid and it soon fades).

I'd be far less grumpy about the heat if it was possible and affordable to cool the bedroom at night to get a decent nights sleep but for a week or so each year it's just not worth doing anything about.

Growster...

« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2022, 10:28 »
I heard a chap on the wireless last night, requesting the government make pubs have at least 50% shade in their gardens! He said he 'suffered' from heat regularly!

Luckily, being GBNews, where there is no bias, there was a pub landlord telling him it was a stupid nanny state issue!

Doesn't it occur to people that an alternative could well be to stay inside the pub, or save a few quid and be miserable at home instead?

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2022, 10:39 »
I know not everyone enjoys the heat - but - since when did our local forecast of of 23C for Sunday and 27C for Monday become extreme heat? Is it just the MetO stressing their global warming doctrine?
Does anybody else remember the hot summers of the 70s? especially the year we had the droughts, water from standpipes etc..

31C forecast here for next Monday, 33C for Tuesday (highest ever was 35.1C in 2019, which I don't actually remember, possibly because I passed out!  :ohmy:)

Yorkshire reservoir stocks reported to be at 63%, which is much lower than last year at the same time...
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

GraciesGran

« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2022, 11:17 »
We moved house in 1976.  The day before the move the men came  to pack.  They were all retained fireman and apologised profusely every time they ran out of the door, there were quite a few farms in the locality.

Three tall men in singlets, dark trousers with axes on their belts.  Bliss.

Subversive_plot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2022, 17:33 »
I suspect the level of heat enjoyment is directly related to the amount of work required during it. Even I feel for people like the binmen in this heat (then I remember what they're paid and it soon fades).

I'd be far less grumpy about the heat if it was possible and affordable to cool the bedroom at night to get a decent nights sleep but for a week or so each year it's just not worth doing anything about.

There are portable air conditioners that do work, and that you can set up for short periods of time.  Here is one example: https://www.nytimes.com/wirecutter/reviews/the-best-portable-air-conditioner/  My son has a different one. 

A key feature to any portable is whether they have a flexible vent (duct) that connects to a window (any that do not have this are essentially a scam).  They will also discharge water to a tank attached to the unit. I think my son's was about $350 new, 4 or 5 years ago (probably £ 350 today).

The units aren't tiny, but are sized small enough that they can be stored in a closet, garage, or basement when not needed.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2022, 21:01 by Subversive_plot »

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: July 13, 2022, 18:18 »
When I lived in Greece we had ceiling fan/light fittings which worked well for night cooling. Only ever put the air con on for the very worst summer days, and never used it at night  :)
Like this     
https://www.argos.co.uk/product/3632279?clickPR=plp:9:12
« Last Edit: July 13, 2022, 18:21 by mumofstig »

Lardman

« Reply #11 on: July 14, 2022, 07:36 »
There are portable air conditioners that do work, and that you can set up for short periods of time.
I actually have one SP if I recall it's 1400 BTU's or something, bought it way back so I could at least make my office comfortable to work in. It drops the room by around 2c, not overly effective.  It's gathering dust not only because they guzzle electricity at an alarming rate but they're extremely loud, not a problem in a room full of servers but no fun at night when you're trying to sleep.  The ceiling fan like MoS suggested has been on the list for a few years, but my 1970 xpelair taurus fan just refuses to die  :nowink:

I've actually found it easier to get a few extra hours in during the day continental style, the bedroom only catches the sun in the afternoon and evening - a little nap of an afternoon is so underrated  ;)

Subversive_plot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: July 15, 2022, 00:15 »
My son's portable A/C will absolutely freeze you out if you set it low enough.  I can't recall the BTUs or how it was with electricity (I'm sure it took a bite, but since I can't recall, it was not likely to have been that bad). I can't recall exactly how old it is; guessing 5 or 6 years?   It was noisy though, mostly used to get his room cold enough for sleeping, then turned off.

We bought it for him because he had terrible problems sleeping if his room was too warm (one of his symptoms).

Growster...

« Reply #13 on: July 15, 2022, 05:29 »
Mrs Growster's family in Richmond seemed to have the integral a/c on all night, as it also kept the mosquitos away!

rowlandwells

« Reply #14 on: July 18, 2022, 20:47 »
its just to darn hot here in the east midlands our gardening jobs are done early morning then its indoor time haven't gone down the allotments for several days now a couple of days ago a farmer was combining his wheat crop and a spark from the  cutter on the combine its understood it could have been a flint stone set the field alight he managed to get the combine of the fields and it took quite a time for the fire serves to bring the fire it under control  and watering all our pots 2 hours per night or morning not good me thinks  :(

xx
Air sourced heat pumps

Started by jezza on Chatting on the Plot

9 Replies
Last post February 10, 2023, 23:12
by jezza
xx
Heat retaining socks that actually work.

Started by Kleftiwallah on Chatting on the Plot

4 Replies
Last post September 20, 2023, 12:17
by Kleftiwallah
xx
Are our allotments safe?

Started by jdwmk on Chatting on the Plot

9 Replies
Last post March 21, 2020, 23:19
by Elaine G
xx
Take care and keep safe!

Started by Goosegirl on Chatting on the Plot

6 Replies
Last post March 03, 2018, 19:31
by al78

Page created in 0.146 seconds with 53 queries.