Hello.

• 6 Replies

Rocinante

• I am not paranoid but I know you think I am.
Hello.
« on: March 27, 2016, 06:55 »
Hi all, joined this morning. Live in the south west of France in the Gers. Weather is good enough to get going in the garden today. Been dry for over a week until last night when we had a little rain so should be perfect or getting the tiller going for the first time. Isn't virgin soil as five pigs have been living on it for about seven months so has been well rooted and should be well manured.
Anyone else in the SW of France on here?
Regards,
Roccinante

Vagabond

• Experienced Member
Re: Hello.
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2016, 11:05 »
Hi from another newbie, Rocinante,

Sounds like you've got some great soil to work with - but as a newbie to veggie growing - what do I know?

I had a place in the south west of France a few years ago. We had established trees: fig, walnut and mirabelle but I never tried to grow veggies.

Casey76

« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2016, 08:22 »
Good morning! Welcome to the forums :)  I'm over in Alsace.

Rocinante

• I am not paranoid but I know you think I am.
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2016, 10:06 »
Good morning to you over in Alsace, hope the weather is as good with you as it has been here.

AussieInFrance

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2016, 13:53 »
Bon apres-midi from Le Tarn.

I'm on heavy clay too. Using the no-dig method quite successfully so just layering as much organic matter into the potager as i can lay my hands on. There's no quick fix to clay so i recommend adding organic material such as compost, worm castings, wood fire ash, coffee grounds, fumier (preferably not horse as they don't digest the weed seeds adequately), shredded garden waste and as many leaves as your can find time to gather. Leave the worms do what they're good at and don't rotovate to kill them off.

You can add gypsum to break up clay particles but i don't know what it's called here. Other than that just top the soil up in layers, don't dig it through and simply lift the weeds out easily as the odd one appears. I have very few appearing now that my levels are up about 30cms since November. Already in the ground: lettuce (4 varieties, beetroot, peas/mangetout (5 var), blette; rhubarb (3 var); strawberries (3 var); coriander ( 4 var) and tomatoes/chillis and peppers under polytunnel for another few weeks yet. Other seedlings hardening off prior to planting. All propagated from seed under grow lights.

I've had a fun time over winter and looking forward to a productive season. Wishing the same for everyone.

Grow lights for early germination;
Blow away on NE facing terrace for hardening off;
Small potager 90sq.m at 300metres
No-dig method, intensive planting and incorporating permaculture principles.

Fairy Plotmother

« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2016, 14:41 »
Sounds like the French Quarter! 😀 Bonjour! 👋🏻👋🏻👋🏻

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2016, 20:02 »
Welcome to the site  :D
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

Page created in 0.156 seconds with 39 queries.