Help, can any one help me figure out how my chicken died?

• 2 Replies

p00rstudent

• Experienced Member
I have just got back from the plot having found one of my chickens had died. Though i am a little lost as to what is the cause.

she was kept with 6 others in an eggloo cube, in a run 10m x 10m, She was just over a year old. They all have access to layers pellets and fresh water, as well as getting a handfull of mix corn every day.

She had lost a couple of feathers about 10 days ago and had a little bald patch on her right breast about the size of 10pence coin. But there were new feathers growing through so i just sprayed her with this purple spray in case she or the others in the folk were pulling them out though i have never seen this happen.  She also after losing her feathers was keeping a distance from the other hens and looking a little mopey but was still eating and drinking normally and egg laying has remained the same.

There was no sign of red mites but i did have a problem with red mite about 7 months ago but i disinfected there coop and moved them into the new eglu cube and throughly dusted with mite poweder and havent had a problem since then.

apart from her behaviour and the little bit of feather loss there were no obvious signs anything was wrong.  All the others seem perfectly fine but i am at a complete loss as to why this one has died. If any one has any ideas as to what the cause could possibly be i would very much appreciate it.

thank you for your time

Paul

scrappydoo

Re: Help, can any one help me figure out how my chicken died?
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2010, 15:35 »
 :) Hi Paul
       Sorry to hear about your chook, I read this on the forum the other day:

......."i have read on the site that chucks can have heart attacks and just die quickly with no apparent reason, would prefer that to seeing them go on for some time, like i have had trying to get them better and failing."........

Hope this of some use.

Best Regards

Steve
Groucho Marx:
Chicken? What about chicken? Why, I had an uncle who thought he was one. My aunt almost divorced him, but we needed the egg

Foxy

Re: Help, can any one help me figure out how my chicken died?
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2010, 17:25 »
Looks like she wasn't "quite right" before hand. The only way you can tell without clear symptoms is a post-mortem performed by a vet.
The best thing you can do is a good deep clean and disinfect. Have a good look around the run for anything obvious.
Keep a sharp eye out for any symptoms in your other hens. :)

sad
help my chicken just died

Started by funny farm on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post December 17, 2009, 17:28
by Aunt Sally
xx
chicken died

Started by ste23 on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post April 12, 2012, 16:56
by ste23
xx
My chicken died

Started by andrewandkaren on The Hen House

7 Replies
Last post April 22, 2009, 20:23
by HENrietta
xx
Chicken died....should I be worried about the others?

Started by utigers on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post September 24, 2013, 16:46
by ANHBUC

Page created in 0.207 seconds with 28 queries.