Hopping Hen and nail trimming

• 3 Replies

richyrich7

• Paper Potter
    • My home business Egg box labels and more
« on: April 06, 2007, 21:25 »
Noticed today one of my hens was hopping around rather than running, on closer inspection she had a clod of mud stuck to her middle toe. Obviously it had been there building up for a few days and I hadn't noticed it  :oops:

I have soaked it in warm water, and got a wet mucky shower in the process  :lol:  managed to remove it, and have found a long middle claw ! Checked all her others and all my other hens and the rest are really short.

Now I've trimmed it down a bit, but it's still a lot longer than the rest. Will the quick die back down so I can trim it further back or will it continue to be a problem of a longer claw ?

My hens are on a deep litter of straw and wood shavings in the shed but they have a run which is 2/3 earth and the rest slabbed, so I thought they would have plenty of wear on there claws as they spend most of the day out in the run.

Was my course of action correct ?
He who asks is a fool for five minutes, but he who does not ask remains a fool forever.

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2007, 21:35 »
You did just what I would have done Richy.  I've had to do it a few times to budgies in the past (small version of a chicken really  :lol: )  You obviously need to be carefull not cut into the live part.  

Munty will advise you I'm sure.  He's probably trimmed the toe nails on every species known to man  :lol:

richyrich7

• Paper Potter
    • My home business Egg box labels and more
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2007, 21:41 »
Quote from: "Aunt Sally"
You did just what I would have done Richy.  I've had to do it a few times to budgies in the past (small version of a chicken really  :lol: )  You obviously need to be carefull not cut into the live part.  

Munty will advise you I'm sure.  He's probably trimmed the toe nails on every species known to man  :lol:

Dunno about budgies think they bite harder than hens, they seem to be able to spin their heads round to bite that soft bit between your thumb and finger  :lol:

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2007, 21:44 »
Quote from: "richyrich7"
Dunno about budgies think they bite harder than hens, they seem to be able to spin their heads round to bite that soft bit between your thumb and finger  :lol:

They certainly do  :shock:

xx
Hopping chicken

Started by SamnElla on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post May 26, 2010, 17:07
by joyfull
exclamation
Nail-less hen

Started by Pretty Chick on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post May 14, 2010, 22:01
by Pretty Chick
question
hen nail clipping ?

Started by Tricky on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post May 05, 2012, 13:51
by Dawnuss
xx
Missing toe / toe nail

Started by blulagoo on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post January 11, 2009, 17:12
by blulagoo

Page created in 0.278 seconds with 38 queries.