Library is Open - This book is excellent

• 24 Replies

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
Re: Library is Open - This book is excellent
« Reply #15 on: December 12, 2020, 15:51 »
The Outlander series by Diana Gabaldon are wonderful, truly unputdownable books.
I've read all the available books many times, and I'm desperately waiting for the next one, due out next year, fingers crossed...

Growster...

« Reply #16 on: December 13, 2020, 07:36 »
I'm still rearranging all our bookshelves, as Mrs Growster reads for England!

As the libraries are mainly closed, I've tended to buy her full sets for a few bob on Ebay! The Katie fforde series takes up a whole shelf, and all the 'Jalna' stories nearly as much!

I have to check on new shelves for Lillian Harry and Rebecca Shaw every now and then too, as they're lovely, easy to read stories...

I usually can't get a word in edgeways...

Growster...

« Reply #17 on: January 06, 2021, 11:20 »
Our library in Cranbrook has a click and collect sort of arrangement.

I ordered the two latest David Baldacci books, read one, and have just started the fifth book by Robert Galbraith (J.K.Rowling) - 'Troubled blood'!

It is way over 900 pages, and like the great writer she is, one is totally hooked from page one!

If anyone is thinking of reading them, they'll benefit from starting with 'The cuckoo's calling', and then working through with 'The silkworm', 'Career of evil', and 'Lethal white'! They are fabulous stories! Cormoron Strike and Robin are so 'believable'!

I just feel that this lady is sitting down with you and telling you an interesting story, with absolutely no hyperbole or exaggeration, and just making normal communication of a good, intricate yarn.

(And thank you Mrs B, for the tip about 'The Gray man'! I wanted to find out more and start on them as well but couldn't remember the author's name)!

(And Snows, I'm coming up for the final Kay Scarpetta novels - 'Blow fly' is next. Excellent stories)!

Just finished 'Troubled blood' last evening - that's about four weeks work, and I went back several times as well!

Fabulous story, there's so much going on, but somehow, the characters all stay in one's head, and the finale is absolutely terrific!

Go on, you know you want to read over 900 pages, and beat my time...!

GraciesGran

« Reply #18 on: January 06, 2021, 11:27 »
Just started Troubled Blood, will have to ration it otherwise I can see me staying here till it's finished.  Not keen on Lethal White but loved the first books

mrs bouquet

« Reply #19 on: January 06, 2021, 12:13 »
Just finished my first book by Peter May,There is a series of five, and are all based in France and relate to Haute Cuisine,  Top French Chefs, and Murders.  The locations are very French, as are the characters.
The Policeman involved is Enzo Macleod.    Onto the library now to request the other four now, I have just finished "Blow Back".  Mrs B
Birds in cages do not sing  -  They are crying.

Growster...

« Reply #20 on: January 07, 2021, 10:04 »
Just started Troubled Blood, will have to ration it otherwise I can see me staying here till it's finished.  Not keen on Lethal White but loved the first books

Yes, 'Lethal white' was a bit dark, wasn't it.

I'm on yet another David Baldacci book as of last evening, (A minute to midnight), so will have enough to go on for the next week, and after that it's 'Blowfly' by Patricia Cornwell, so I expect a few nightmares...

GraciesGran

« Reply #21 on: January 10, 2021, 15:02 »
Troubled Blood was a smasher.  Through enjoyed all 900 pages.

Goosegirl

« Reply #22 on: January 11, 2021, 14:37 »
I'm reading David Suchet's book "Behind the Lens. My Life." and it's quite an eye-opener of how you see things and to capture the moment of what it meant to you rather than just taking a good pic of something.
I work very hard so don't expect me to think as well.

mrs bouquet

« Reply #23 on: January 11, 2021, 14:46 »
My lovely librarian has come today with twenty books.   That should keep my quiet for a while.   Mrs B

Growster...

« Reply #24 on: January 28, 2021, 05:28 »
Just been told that I can pick up the latest (3rd) part of the Atlee Pine stories, 'Daylight', by David Baldacci!

It's the follow-up to 'Long Road to Mercy' (1) and 'A Minute to Midnight' (2)! I only finished the second one a week ago, and luckily got the third one on order from Cranbrook Library only the other day!

Well recommended first two stories, but you must read them in order - they're the rules!

xx
Library charges...

Started by Growster... on Chatting on the Plot

12 Replies
Last post September 29, 2018, 12:10
by Growster...
xx
excellent biographies

Started by grinling on Chatting on the Plot

2 Replies
Last post December 13, 2017, 21:45
by Tenhens
xx
are they going to open

Started by rowlandwells on Chatting on the Plot

9 Replies
Last post May 14, 2020, 22:14
by grinling
xx
Difficult to open - Help ?

Started by mrs bouquet on Chatting on the Plot

7 Replies
Last post October 16, 2023, 14:35
by mrs bouquet

Page created in 0.133 seconds with 49 queries.