Lime bed under lawn

• 1 Replies

Sideshoot

• Experienced Member
Lime bed under lawn
« on: July 12, 2010, 07:08 »
Having recently scarified my front lawn (90% moss) to a near bare patch its been reseeded and now looks like a putting green at St Andrews, ive been approached to replicate my lawn further up our street.

Having had a look at the lawn its virtually all brown (about 95%). I was going to give it a good scarifying, go over it with my fork for drainange and reseed, however.....the owners have told me the houses on that side of the road were originally built on a lime pit and they have witnessed lime leeching though the lawn to the surface. Is too much lime detrimental to a good lawn, if so how do i proceed? Is there a treatment to neutralize the lime.
Also the front of their house is south facing and is in full sun all day (mine is north facing).

Looking forwards to yr thoughts.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2010, 07:23 by Sideshoot »

gillie

Re: Lime bed under lawn
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2010, 12:46 »
What are the other lawns like on the south facing side? are these houses fairly new and did the builders pinch the topsoil?

I suspect the untreated lawn is brown because of the drought and will green up when we get some rain.

I don't think lime would leach up through the topsoil (if there is any) and anyway I don't think it will be a problem - chalk hills grow wonderful grasslands .  However you can neutralise lime somewhat by using Sequestrene, but you would have to keep on applying it.

Gillie

xx
lime and lime scale

Started by chrissie B on General Gardening

17 Replies
Last post November 29, 2008, 15:33
by Raycrete
xx
builders lime

Started by georg on General Gardening

2 Replies
Last post December 30, 2008, 00:34
by Salmo
xx
Lime to compost

Started by Offwego on General Gardening

2 Replies
Last post May 24, 2016, 11:08
by JayG
xx
Lime – the vital fertiliser

Started by gifutiger on General Gardening

6 Replies
Last post April 18, 2007, 11:41
by niclala

Page created in 0.157 seconds with 36 queries.