tomatoes?

• 20 Replies

Brassica Blaz

• Experienced Member
tomatoes?
« on: March 19, 2010, 11:01 »
hi everyone.just like to ask when is the time to put your toms in the greenhouse?mine are on the window sill at the moment.2 inches high with 2 seed leaves.2 seedlings per 4 inch pot.can i snip one seedling and let the other grow on as it is?will i need to add more compost up to the leaves?can i put them in the greenhouse in these pots now until there ready to go in there final positions or is it still to cold? thanks

Ropster

Re: tomatoes?
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2010, 11:15 »
I would separate the seedlings rather than wasting one.
Toms don't like to go below 10 degrees c so unless your greenhouse is heated its probably a bit early

prakash_mib

« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2010, 11:45 »
Mine are on the windowsill as well. gidd 2" and 4 true leaves each. becoming a nasty teenager asking to be chucked out  :lol: . can it be put in fleece frame to steady the growth with bringing in when it is cold and frosty?
sorry Not meant to hijack the thread
One kid is handful. Two kids.... Example for chaos theory. Hats off to my mum who managed three...

Aidy

• Location: Born n bred Lancastrian living in tropical Blackpool
    • Aidy Neal Photography
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2010, 12:32 »
Mine are in the greenhouse during the day and brought in at night.
Punk isn't dead...it's underground where it belongs. If it comes to the surface it's no longer punk...it's Green Day!

Kristen

• K's Garden blog
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2010, 13:31 »
Far too fragile to put out yet - not even for the day - unless they are in a zip-up 4-tier polythene growhouse (greenhouse or conservatory fine too of course)

I agree with Ropster - don't put them anywhere such that the temperature falls below 10C - once their growth "stalls" it takes a while to get going again.

2" tall with just the two seed leaves? sounds like they aren't getting enough light.

When you pot them on bury them right up to the seed leaves.

I keep two-per pot until I am sure that they are going to survive, and the one that I don't murder :) is nice and strong.

Yabba

« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2010, 15:23 »
You must live in the antartic Kristen, My greenhouse is averaging 18c during the day which is more than warm enough for the spell they are in there. They are happily growing on without any checking.

I thought you were an optician by profession? :|

Far too fragile to put out yet - not even for the day - unless they are in a zip-up 4-tier polythene growhouse (greenhouse or conservatory fine too of course)

:roll:

¥

Aidy

• Location: Born n bred Lancastrian living in tropical Blackpool
    • Aidy Neal Photography
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2010, 15:45 »
Yabba   :tongue2: (well spotted) deleted my remarks and appologies to Kristen.

Yabba

« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2010, 15:53 »
No worries, you'd do the same for me :D

¥

Jodie A

• Experienced Member
« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2010, 15:59 »
I have a few in the unheated greenhouse, they are struggling compared to those indoors and not making that much progress.  As a bit of an experiment, I've placed them on polystyrene blocks from packaging, and also have "fleece" - this is the stuff they wrap new sofas in that I nicked from a friends bin  :D  the overnight coolness does stunt them, but so long as they don't get frosted, this shouldn't knock them back too far.  I've only popped them in the greenhouse as they are now in larger tom pots, and I am running out of room.

My most forward tomato to date is one that self seeded in the greenhouse last September/October time, it is kept in the porch - I do worry about the dog's waggy tail - and it is now 2+ feet tall with a first truss showing. Variety unsure - but am guessing Gardeners Delight or Sweet Millions.  Last year, my first ripe tomatoes were 18th May - grown in the porch, so hopefully can beat that this year.

Kristen

• K's Garden blog
« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2010, 17:29 »
.. appologies to Kristen.

Hahaha ... no worries.

Go and upgrade your greenhouse to a 4-tier zip-up polythene grow-house immediately!

Kristen

• K's Garden blog
« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2010, 17:34 »
I have a few in the unheated greenhouse, they are struggling compared to those indoors and not making that much progress.
I'll be really interested to know how they compare if you have the time for an update in a few weeks please.

My experience has been that they "stall" when they catch a cold, and take ages (a couple of weeks) to get going again.

I keep giving people this advice, but I haven't actually done a side by side experiment for years - I'm like Scrooge now, and I only grow just the number of plants I need, and I certainly ain't going to sacrifice any Tomato plants!

I'll be really interested to know if the ones in chillier conditions catch up, or are noticeably behind their cousins that had a soft life indoors :)  and then I can modify my advice if it turns out to be pants.

Yabba

« Reply #11 on: March 19, 2010, 17:43 »
Go and upgrade your greenhouse to a 4-tier zip-up polythene grow-house immediately!

You might wish to increase your font size, you know he has difficulty seeing the obvious O:-)

¥

Kristen

• K's Garden blog
« Reply #12 on: March 19, 2010, 17:47 »
That is just too cruel!

Yabba

« Reply #13 on: March 19, 2010, 17:50 »
It would, so don't do it ;)

¥

min200

• adayinthelifeofmin
« Reply #14 on: March 19, 2010, 17:51 »
Ive just popped mine in a mini greenhouse inside my greenhouse so im hoping that will be warm enough!!  

xx
How are your tomatoes doing so far?

Started by JayG on Grow Your Own

31 Replies
Last post July 19, 2012, 10:00
by lazza
xx
Tomatoes - what now?

Started by Flowertot on Grow Your Own

10 Replies
Last post July 12, 2015, 23:11
by Headgardener22
xx
Tomatoes -Help

Started by Charlotte on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post July 06, 2008, 22:51
by Trillium
xx
what to do with tomatoes??

Started by Tommy54321 on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post May 25, 2020, 17:13
by JayG

Page created in 0.318 seconds with 28 queries.